PDA

View Full Version : ----GUnit of the Game---- (Pepperdine)

gozagswoohoo
01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Holy crap...I haven't seen the zags trounce someone like that in a while. They brought it hard and never looked back. We are starting to click on all cylinders. Lets keep this level of play up. Oh and by the way....that yammo by Ira! has officially earned him the right to keep his "!" for good...

My GUnit- I was really having trouble deciding, but the ridiculous wrap around pass sealed the deal. AUSTIN DAYE I watched that replay...I STILL don't see him ever look in the general direction before he passed it! Freakin nuts!

Honorable mention- To many players to begin...excellent all around. This is how a team of this caliber should be beating teams....keep it up fellas.

primal23
01-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Mine goes to the whole team, I cant pick just one :)

gozagswoohoo
01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Mine goes to the whole team, I cant pick just one :)

sorry primal, but that's breaking rule #2 of the GUnit thread. (Although if there was ever a game to break that rule, itd be this one!)

primal23
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Okay okay, fair enough :p Then mine goes to Daye as well.

fedwayzag
01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Pendo, I think he had 4 or 6 of first 8 pts. Played good defense as well.

john montana
01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Bouldin...again. He just makes everyone better.

GonzPeter
01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Daye. 7 of 8 from the floor, 3 for 3 from the line and the amazing pass.

former1dog
01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Pargo

I'm betting high assist man(not in the box score:( ) and he set the tone on defense to start the game.

ZagNative
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Daye. Great game in front of his hometown crowd!

Austin is the Gropp Electric Player of the game chosen by Fox and Hudson.

Compare the stats. There's no choice at all for me.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6659/boxxcoreforpepperdinesz6.jpg

RenoZag
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Daye

NEC26
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Matt the offence flowed beautifully when he was in and slowed noticeably when out. That pass by Austin was unreal!!

GU69
01-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Daye. Great game in front of his hometown crowd!

Yup. Several guys played very well, but I'm going with Daye because of where it was.

FuManShoes
01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
This is very, very hard - hard as it's been all year. But for my money (and there's not much of it), I give the honor to Bouldin. He's playing complete games every night and it's making this team much, much better. Honorable mentions go to no-look Daye and gutsy Pargo.

JLGutrocks
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Pendo. With HM to Bouldin and Daye. David is always there. Who's gotcher back? big daddy red. need say no more.

RandomZagFan
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Austin Daye

ZagsGoZags
01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Daye

VinnyZag
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna vote for BobZag, because every time he talks some s*** about this team, it goes out and kicks someone's arse. I'm not saying that's not a coincidence, but ...

Well, if forced to pick someone who actually PLAYED in the game, I'll go with Pargo: 8 assists, 6 steals, 5 boards, 3-for-3 shooting, one charge taken, all with a sore back.

Ziggy
01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
..Daye. Of Course. Honorable mention to the Team-Unit. Way to go ZAGS!!!

Nevtelen
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Tough call. Wow. I'm tempted to go with Pendo for the aforementioned starting the game off right or Pargo for a crazy stat line while keeping the engine humming and dishing like a line-cook at lunch-hour or even Bouldin for being an absolute all-around rock (and that rediculous falling-out-of-bounds wrap-around left-handed pass in the post) BUT I'm being boring and going with Daye. That kid brought it and how. Let me count the ways - unreal no-look pass (and other fantastic passes), unstoppable with the shot, some nice blocks and boards, perfect from the line, and even brought the ball up a bit toward the end and got the offense running a couple of times. Unstoppable tonight.

pbriz
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Daye, but Pargo gets HM for gutting it out and really finding people. The 8 assists were impressive and most occurred from his dribble-penetrates

HillBillyZag
01-15-2008, 12:52 AM
I hate to single out anyone, they all played well. But in the end I have to go with Senior leadership and 14 pts in 15 minutes. The Captain, Pendo.

CarolinaZagFan
01-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Man this is another tough one. The whole team really deserves one. But in the end it came down to Matt and Austin. I'm going to have to give the nod to Austin. He did everything last night. Blocks, Three's, Rebounds, and that nasty no look pass sealed the deal. Also, Matt has gotten the last several from me, so I'll spread the wealth and give one to Austin.:D

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Daye. The sweet pass clinched it. Otherwise I would have gone with the team. Pargo was a warrior out there considering the state that he is in.

kitzbuel
01-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Matt 'Crazy Horse' Bouldin led the ambush. Hooray for Chief Mark 'Sitting Bull' Few finally getting his team to unleash some fury. Pep had to feel like they were stuck in The Little Bighorn. I only really watched the first half (very late here) and it was a complete bloodletting. I hope the Zags got a good taste of that and relished it.

Kudos to Pargo for showing Corey Butler how you are SUPPOSED to defend the long inbounds pass - steal it and then throw it down.

MickMick
01-15-2008, 04:54 AM
This is very, very hard - hard as it's been all year. But for my money (and there's not much of it), I give the honor to Bouldin. He's playing complete games every night and it's making this team much, much better. Honorable mentions go to no-look Daye and gutsy Pargo.

Exactly how I feel including the honorable mentions.....and vote likewise.

bzzz61
01-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Austin Daye

trzag
01-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Gotta go with Austin.

FrosTbear
01-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Daye. 7 of 8 from the floor, 3 for 3 from the line and the amazing pass.

"ditto" plus his defense (2 more blKs, 6 boards, 1 steal) and he was seen selling programs just to keep busy.

Rubbadub
01-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Daye. Honorable mention to Pargo and Bouldin.

Rub has to ask though...why are there only 7 blocks on the official box score when more than 50 were altered according to Few? After watching that game, doesn't it seem like there were ALOT more than 7 blocks?

GonzagaGurl08
01-15-2008, 06:46 AM
I am going to follow the crowd on this one, and go with Austin Daye!!! Austin's talent never ceases to amaze me, and this is only his second conference game. Watch out WCC here we come.

zagco
01-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Austin Daye.

However, the GUnit of the Game pick should permit up to 220 pounds. Thus, Zagco would like to pick Daye and 30 pounds of Matt Bouldin for the award. If Daye wants to win the entire award, he'll have to gain weight. :D

DoggieDogpound
01-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Austin Daye - Bouldin, Pargo and Pendo were 2, 3 and 4.

ZagMania
01-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Toughy, but I'm going with Daye because of the 7-8 shooting along with the all around game (6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks). First honorable mention to go with Bouldin who did a great job pushing it on fast breaks, especially off of his 5 steals. Second honorable mention to Pargo, with 6 steals and 8 assists although it felt like he had more to me.

Third honorable mention to Sorenson because it was fun to see him get the minutes and it is obvious how he helps this team, especially when it comes to chemistry. He is always jumping onto the court to get the guys going on every timeout, and whenever someone is frustrated he's there patting them on the back and getting them back into the mindset they need. You could tell how much the team appreciates his efforts as the whole team was up off the bench on his only shot attempt. For me, watching our guys celebrate and pull for each other was the best part of yesterdays game on a night when there was many things to be excited about.

Psychozag
01-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Austin.

hockeyzag
01-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Daye was the man last night. So confident.
But I also REALLY liked what Matt and Jeremy did out there. Good to see Jeremy getting back in the swing of things

77Zag
01-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Daye - no doubt

Pendo #2

Ole Roy
01-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Still Matt but Daye is getting close.

zaguarxj
01-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Daye. Honorable mention to Pargo and Bouldin.

Rub has to ask though...why are there only 7 blocks on the official box score when more than 50 were altered according to Few? After watching that game, doesn't it seem like there were ALOT more than 7 blocks?

Austin Daye here as well. It was 50 deflections that Few was talking about, which includes any pass a defender got a hand on. But I also think there were way more than 7 blocks. Daye probably had 7 all by himself (credited with 2). I forgot to record the beginning of the game, or I'd go back through it and count the blocks. Anyone game?

tyra
01-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Austin. As much for some great passing as the overall line. HM to Jeremy. Especially given his back, Jeremy did yesterday what a point guard on a team like this should do: he found the open man (and helped create the "openness") and stole the ball.

Rubbadub
01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Austin Daye here as well. It was 50 deflections that Few was talking about, which includes any pass a defender got a hand on. But I also think there were way more than 7 blocks. Daye probably had 7 all by himself (credited with 2). I forgot to record the beginning of the game, or I'd go back through it and count the blocks. Anyone game?

Sorry, misread that quote. I'll probably end up counting the blocks when I get home.

USMC69
01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Austin, wonderful team effort by everyone.

zag67
01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
My first vote would be for team. But I would say Pendo with Daye a close second. Pendo got us started in both halves and layed his body out in hustle.

Once and Future Zag
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I had a hard time picking between Daye and Bouldin - Daye was pure natural smoothness, but there's something about Matt that you know something truly special is going to happen when he gets the ball.

So it's Matt.

zag buddy
01-15-2008, 10:16 AM
The team really flowed tonight, no standing around, constant movement while keeping there eyes open for the open man and not bashful about shooting it . It was really nice to see the team coming together, which I attribute to the teams confidence now that Josh is BACK.

sonuvazag
01-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Daye. It's not just the flashy passes. His team IQ/Awareness has already grown leaps and bounds.

lawzag
01-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Absolutely DAYE - and did you see his facial expressions at the very end of the game as the two teams were shaking hands?...he had the quixotic and very adorable facial expressions of a 13 year old that was absolutely thrilled with the win & with his performance! It was priceless :)

sittingon50
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Statsman on the Pep board has explained what constitutes a block before but I'm afraid I no longer recall. If he comes visit, maybe he can explain (don't think it would be too cool to go over & ask at the moment). Bottom line, what some of us might consider a block is not the case, by definition.

So as not to hijack the GUnit thread, put me down for Daye.

asoc
01-15-2008, 11:53 AM
My vote is for Bouldin.
He controlled things, when he was in the offense was unstoppable.
When he came in during the second half after sitting out awhile you saw how the Zags picked it back up again.

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Statsman on the Pep board has explained what constitutes a block before but I'm afraid I no longer recall. If he comes visit, maybe he can explain (don't think it would be too cool to go over & ask at the moment). Bottom line, what some of us might consider a block is not the case, by definition.

So as not to hijack the GUnit thread, put me down for Daye.

Wait... thats right. We have statsman to blame unless he retired from being the scorer for Pep. Kinda miss statsman, always had good insight and was a good friend of the board. If anyone gets over that way make sure to tell him he is missed by the old guard over here.

ZagNative
01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Absolutely DAYE - and did you see his facial expressions at the very end of the game as the two teams were shaking hands?...he had the quixotic and very adorable facial expressions of a 13 year old that was absolutely thrilled with the win & with his performance! It was priceless :)

Thank you! I saw that and what I saw was pure joy! I couldn't think of a way to put it into words, so I didn't. Glad that you did. Agreed: It was priceless!

UberZagFan
01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Daye, on that pass alone! But add to that his line and he's the GUnit hands down. Woohoo, you can now add up the votes as the Uber has voted.

gozagswoohoo
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Woohoo, you can now add up the votes as the Uber has voted.

Ok, WHEW! I've been wondering where you were! :D

Sneaky Long
01-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Matt B. Post-up moves and back doors opened the rest of the floor.

BobZag
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Who will be WCC Player of the Week. Austin or Matt? Daye only missed two shots all weekend but Bouldin has that Dickau-Stepp thing going now.

I'll vote Matt.

Pure
01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
How about Coach ?? Team played inspired ?? or was it that Pep is just that bad ??

Either way fun to watch , keep up that type of intensity.

bigblahla
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Bouldin again. The game flowed through him when he was on the floor.

Then Pendo and Daye.

GO!! ZAGS!!!

mendiant
01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Matt..

HM Jeremy, flying throught the pain and doing well.

Bocco
01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Bouldin. Honorable mention to Pargo, Pendo and Daye.