PDA

View Full Version : OT: WSU vs UCLA

TRhyno
01-14-2008, 06:08 AM
I was riding the lovely STA bus to work this fine morning and I entered into a intellectual discussion with the bus driver about the WSU vs UCLA basketball game this passed Saturday. The bus driver insisted that WSU should have won that game because they were able to hit some many 3's in the last minute and a half. He continued by saying "The game in Pullman will be different and WSU will win by 10." After the drivers well thought out barrage of WSU fodder, I rebutted. I told him that WSU would not be able to be UCLA if Baynes could not figure out how to guard Kevin Love, at times Baynes looked lost and it looked like Love was playing against a Jr. High Center.

So, I guess I am posting this because I thought it was funny, that he couldn't accept defeat and admit that UCLA was the better team that day.

spkngrl
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Overall, I agree with you, because UCLA was the better team that day.

BUT, that is due to the fact that, for whatever reason, the Cougs looked scared and refused to even ATTEMPT any threes until those final minutes of the game.

If I'm remembering correctly, they did not even attempt a trey in the first half. So, had the Cougs attempted those shots, they may not have won, but they would have at least made more of a game of it.

jim77
01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
MR. Love is one impressive ball player.....Derrick Lowe made it close with some incredible shooting but it wasn't that close otherwise. UCLA is final 4 material...mark them as a team I don't want to see until the final 4. I couldn't believe the way Love schooled Baynes. Hopefully Lowe starts shooting earlier in Pullman.

spudzag
01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
UCLA was simply the better team Saturday, end of story. Will they be the better team next time? I have no idea, that's while they will play the game. The bus driver sound a little detatched from reality.

hockeyzag
01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Overall, I agree with you, because UCLA was the better team that day.

BUT, that is due to the fact that, for whatever reason, the Cougs looked scared and refused to even ATTEMPT any threes until those final minutes of the game.

If I'm remembering correctly, they did not even attempt a trey in the first half. So, had the Cougs attempted those shots, they may not have won, but they would have at least made more of a game of it.

They weren't attempting threes because UCLA wasn't letting them. Their defense frustrated WSU until the second half where they were finally able to get some open looks, probably because UCLA was getting a little tired.

BobZag
01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Cougs have nothing to hang their heads about. Fans like the bus driver should look at the 14-1 record and high ranking and be proud of that. UCLA has to come to Pullman. Cougs will get an equal chance to beat Bruins. It's like WSU woulda won the Rose Bowl in '97 if the games were 61 minutes long.

HillBillyZag
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
BobZag, why do you have a problem with the Cougar fans that love and support their team, and yet many of us Zag boosters are as rabid and suffer from the same tunnel vision? I love the Zags as much as any on this board, but I believe the great Nortwest can support more than one great Div 1 basketball program.

kjstoph1
01-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Cougs have nothing to hang their heads about. Fans like the bus driver should look at the 14-1 record and high ranking and be proud of that. UCLA has to come to Pullman. Cougs will get an equal chance to beat Bruins. It's like WSU woulda won the Rose Bowl in '97 if the games were 61 minutes long.

I think you meant to say "WSU woulda won the Rose Bowl if the game was actually 60 minutes long instead of 59:58." :D

Cougs disappeared for the opening 8 minutes. If they'd have gone missing for four minutes in the first half and four minutes in the second half, I suspect the outcome would have been appreciably closer. As it was, digging a deep deep hole right out of the chute proved insurmountable.

The rematch in Pullman is going to be a war.

I actually feel for the Beavers Thursday night...Aron Baynes is going to unleash his pent-up KLove anger.

Rubbadub
01-16-2008, 06:10 AM
BobZag, why do you have a problem with the Cougar fans that love and support their team...

What in the world are you talking about? Are you reading the same Bobzag post I am? :confused:

7ICoug
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
BobZag, why do you have a problem with the Cougar fans that love and support their team, and yet many of us Zag boosters are as rabid and suffer from the same tunnel vision? I love the Zags as much as any on this board, but I believe the great Nortwest can support more than one great Div 1 basketball program.

I have to tell you that some of us Cougar fans and even BTW many of the Zag fans hardly have tunnel vision. Not sure where you think Bobzag was saying whatever you seem to think he said, but certainly not in the post above this one.

FWIW BobZag is well respected by most Cougar fans and we even find him good seats for the annual game when its at Friel.

Eastern Washington already does support two good Division 1 teams, however, IMHO neither of them is yet great. GU is closer to having been there lately as GU has been to an elite 8 not long ago. WSU is simply building a program and trying to get back to where they once were at least respectable tho we have played for the national championship once long ago. WSU even has a mythical championship banner, tho I wonder why they ever gave that much merit.

kjstoph1
01-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I was riding the lovely STA bus to work this fine morning and I entered into a intellectual discussion with the bus driver about the WSU vs UCLA basketball game this passed Saturday. The bus driver insisted that WSU should have won that game because they were able to hit some many 3's in the last minute and a half. He continued by saying "The game in Pullman will be different and WSU will win by 10." After the drivers well thought out barrage of WSU fodder, I rebutted. I told him that WSU would not be able to be UCLA if Baynes could not figure out how to guard Kevin Love, at times Baynes looked lost and it looked like Love was playing against a Jr. High Center.

So, I guess I am posting this because I thought it was funny, that he couldn't accept defeat and admit that UCLA was the better team that day.

I heard that same thing from Zag fans after WSU imposed their will on Gonzaga.

And it wasn't funny - it was kinda sad actually.