• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Brock Osweiler's Flathead Team vs. Sentinel of Missoula tonight

Brock Osweiller's Flathead Braves play Sentinel of Missoula @ home in Kalispell tonight at 7:30:00 PM (MST), 6:30 PM PST
    Online radio – http://www.myhank.com/braves.asp
    Schedule from Maxpreps.com
    Pre-game story:
    Billings Gazette Western AA heavyweights to square off Friday

By ED WEST
    Of The Gazette Staff

Billings West, Missoula Sentinel and Kalispell Flathead have yet to taste defeat in Class AA boys basketball.

That won't be the case after Friday night, when the Spartans journey to Kalispell in an early showdown for the Western AA league lead.

The game features three of the best players in the state, Flathead's 6-foot-8 junior Brock Osweiler and Sentinel's senior duo of Andy Garland and Mark Henkel. While the conference title certainly isn't riding on the outcome, the winner will have a leg up in the race which will likely go to the final weekend.

"It's a litmus test for us to see where we're at," said Flathead coach Fred Febach.

In building a 6-0 record, Flathead is outscoring its opponents 68-54. Osweiler, of course, is the focal point. He had 22 points and 18 rebounds in Saturday's 65-59 victory at Great Falls CMR.

"His whole game has improved," Febach said. "He's a different player than he was the first two years."

Febach said Osweiler is stronger and is not strictly an inside threat, noting, "He can play at little more away from the basket."
    I enjoy listening to the broadcast from Hank of the Flathead games. They do a nice job and the broadcast has a fun local flavor.

Andy Poling also plays tonight, but I haven't been able to find any radio coverage. They play Mountain View away tonight at 7:00 PM in Vancouver. Westview is 7-7 on the season.

Schedule (Oregonlive.com team page)
    • Jan 2007

Bobby Bowden is not visiting Kalispell. Sheesh.

Go to www.kpax.com and Brock is a Player of the Week and there's a video clip of him burying a trey then swatting a shot in one sequence. He's averaging over 25ppg, 16rpg, 4apg, 3bpg. I think that's pretty good.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Re:

If Brock is such a well thought of football prospect with all these great football teams after him, why isn't he even listed at Rivals.com as a 2009 football prospect? How come he has a profile like this at scout.com?

If Florida State, USC, Texas or anyone else was interested in him as a player, these schools would be reporting it at their recruiting sites. They are on top of these things....regardless of where the prospect comes from.

Either he's not that well thought of nationally as a football prospect, or it is well known within recruiting circles that he's basketball and basketball only with no chance of changing over to the other side. Either way, he's coming to Gonzaga to play basketball.
      Last edited by CDC84; 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        Bobby Bowden is not visiting Kalispell. Sheesh.
        ???? I thought I asked you not to make me Google, BZ.

ESPN's Recruit Tracker says of Brock that he's a player who will grow on you as you continue to watch him, that he
        • is not a particularly "bouncy" athlete, but he uses his body extremely well and has a lot of savvy underneath the basket.
        • has a big body (strong set of shoulders), soft hands and fairly quick feet.
        • has a tremendous knack for scoring and he's always around the ball finishing plays.
        • can step out and drain the 15-foot jump shot with regularity.
        • plays hard all the time and overall is one of the tougher prospects in the class of 2009.
        • plays solid post defense and is a fundamental (boxes out) rebounder.
        • needs to continue to polish up his overall skills at both ends.

Their Scouts grade is 82 (80-89 rating denotes an outstanding prospect)

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

You would be amazed at how many high school quarterbacks play linebacker in college. Brock would play quarterback.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• DoggieDogpound
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

Did anyone attend the Flathead - Lake City game in C'DA back on 12/21?
            I had hoped to, but did see the highlights on KREM later that night. I was impressed by his footwork and scoring moves. Hopefully, he will be as good or even better than John Brockman.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching"
            Yogi Berra

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• thickman1
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                ???? I thought I asked you not to make me Google, BZ.

ESPN's Recruit Tracker says of Brock that he's a player who will grow on you as you continue to watch him, that he
                • is not a particularly "bouncy" athlete, but he uses his body extremely well and has a lot of savvy underneath the basket.
                • has a big body (strong set of shoulders), soft hands and fairly quick feet.
                • has a tremendous knack for scoring and he's always around the ball finishing plays.
                • can step out and drain the 15-foot jump shot with regularity.
                • plays hard all the time and overall is one of the tougher prospects in the class of 2009.
                • plays solid post defense and is a fundamental (boxes out) rebounder.
                • needs to continue to polish up his overall skills at both ends.

Their Scouts grade is 82 (80-89 rating denotes an outstanding prospect)

This sounds A LOT like a guy playing on the westside of the state right now. We could only be so lucky to have a guy in the Brockman mold.

Comment

• mtzaga
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Here's about 7 minutes of raw video from the Flathead-CMR game. Scroll 12 games down.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Vertical

Someone posted an article here recently that pointed out that Brock's vertical has really improved recently do some special exercises he's been doing.......or something to that effect.

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

FWIW, the radio link doesn't work for me in Mozilla Firefox. Works fine in IE Explorer.

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

What a barnburner of a game! Flathead lost to Sentinel 74-68 in double OT. Brock had fouled out with just under two minutes left in regulation. He had 24 points, his season average, and "a bunch of rebounds."

Sounded like a really fun game. It was SRO and the crowd was NOISY!

Lines from the announcers:
                        "The minute Brock fouled out opened a chink in the Braves armor, opening up the paint."

"I feel sorry for anyone who has to try to guard Brock, because he's just unguardable....The only way to stop Brock is to foul him."

"Brock is winning the defense battle on the Sentinel's big man."
                        Those two guys who cover the Flathead games for HANK really make listening fun and entertaining.

Flathead plays Big Sky tomorrow at 4:30 MST, 3:30 PST, at Big Sky. I think they are 6-1 now.

Edited to add: I don't want to bump this thread and so am editing to add:

Link to game story

Brock's Stats per the game story:

Code:
                        Pts	FG	FG%	FT	FT%	RB	Assts	Steals	Blocks	Fouls
                        24	8-18	44%	8-12	66.67%	11	2	2	2	5
                        Last edited by ZagNative; 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X