PDA

View Full Version : Stockton's observations

Zag 77
01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I was privileged to be able to attend a luncheon gathering featuring the normally tight-lipped John Stockton. John was fairly chatty and friendly in answering a lot of questions from the audience.

John was asked about this year's team and he said they were the most talented team ever at GU, and very well coached. He did say that they needed to be tougher, and that you need to go to war to do anything to help your team win on the court. Some of the games they have lost come down to the toughness factor. He did also say that the toughness factor is affected by relative youth, and that it is a learned quality.

That is a fairly revealing observation about why John was so good as a player in the NBA despite not necessarily being the most talented athlete on the floor.

alaskazagnut
01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
then Pendo is has a PhD.

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
then Pendo is has a PhD.

I think Daye has taken humongous strides and is getting so much tougher every game. I can't wait to see the player he develops into...

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
I like Daye alot.

lothar98zag
and Daye has a "Congratulations for passing Pre-School" Certificate.
ouch

MickMick
Watching your teammate get bushwhacked will go a long ways towards buiding a meaner disposition. Ira's pro experience is a great influence in that regard.

kylasdad
01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo:
and Daye has a "Congratulations for passing Pre-School" Certificate.

Ouch, Hilarious, but ouch. I think Daye is very tough mentally and is probably a lot tougher physically now than he was 2 months ago. I think he is going to explode next year.

208Zag
01-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Yea, Johnny Stockton knows a thing or two about toughness on the b-ball floor. That guy would probably have poped his own father in the chops on the floor if he thought it would help his team win. I don't think you can learn an instinct like that, you're either born with it or not.

pbriz
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Ouch, Hilarious, but ouch. I think Daye is very tough mentally and is probably a lot tougher physically now than he was 2 months ago. I think he is going to explode next year.

I completely agree..... if he was on another team.

If Heytvelt, Pargo stay than the starters will be essentially the same except for Pendo. Too much talent with Pargo, Josh, Matt, and Gray on the floor for him to explode, but yes I can definitely see his role increasing and becoming a solid starter. Now his junior year.......

CDC84
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I think Daye has made some strides in the toughness department lately, but that's partly because teams are starting to lay off of him due to his offensive production going down. Still, I saw some positive changes from him in the UGA game. With Josh and Steven now on board, I just can't see many WCC teams being able to get away with double teaming him and playing him physically like teams were earlier last month. If they do, other guys will make them pay for it.

MDABE80
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
1. Uncalled for.......
2. Funny to you....self admitted "dumb post"
3. Not funny to his mom who is very protective and reads this board......
4. Next thing to do would be........?

cggonzaga
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted yet. It's ignorant and simply not true. I think Daye is very "tough". What he's not is physically strong which are two completely different things.

I think Daye has made some strides in the toughness department lately, but that's partly because teams are starting to lay off of him due to his offensive production going down. Still, I saw some positive changes from him in the UGA game.

I feel that has a lot to do with Josh being back. He doesn't have to carry the load down low anymore. I hope to see a lot more high low action with him and Josh from now on. That could be deadly.

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
1. Uncalled for.......
2. Funny to you....self admitted "dumb post"
3. Not funny to his mom who is very protective and reads this board......
4. Next thing to do would be........?

I let MDABE down, whom I respect very much. Now I feel like a Dbag... :-( If it helps, I am having a ridiculously bad day, hence the "cheer woohoo up" thread in FOO. Oh, and I don't even see the post of mine everyone keeps quoting...

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted yet. It's ignorant and simply not true.

OUCH CG! jeez! Great, everyone hates me again...here comes the neg rep...

cggonzaga
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
No one hates. It was just uncalled for.

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
No one hates. It was just uncalled for.

No, you hate. I can tell.

cggonzaga
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Ok, I do. :D

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok, I do. :D

:eek:

:ban: me?

I hope not...I am going to boycott my self posting for like 20 minutes. (Don't try to talk me out of it)

jim77
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
WOOOOHOOOOO......luv ya man:)

Its hard to be a brute when you have the height that Austin has at such a young age. It takes a while to fill out..it takes time and age...he's actually pretty darn efficient for his stature. The guy is gonna be collecting his paycheck from the NBA one day....bank it.

lothar98zag
01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Abe,

I don't think it's a big issue since woohoo's comment was clearly in jest, but woohoo should forthcoming with an apology if offense was taken. People shouldn't get offended by things written about them in a comedic light too much. If woohoo can't make his "preschool" remark then you start moving towards not being able to have shows like SNL or the Daily Show, because in essence that's what those shows do. I doubt woohoo has a single bad bone in his body, so he shouldn't publicly flogged. I got a chuckle out of it, but I also immediately realized that woohoo wasn't all that serious. That's just his personality. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Mal
:agreed:

plus he posted about 1 minute later that he was joking around and admitted it probably wasn't a great joke.

MDABE80
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Woohooo is one of best posters and we all love the guy. Abe does too. I hope my comment didn't hurt feelings of anyone. Further, Abe's a big proponent of freedom of speech. Sometimes, and in some things, people are "ouchy". I'm not one of them. Parents and friends sometimes are. If it's a cogent comment, fine......I'm all for it. If it might hurt someone and it's just for silliness or "dumbness" well....sometimes it's not edifying. We'd like everyone happy and that includes the people who send their children to us.

SO if it doesn't really mean anything to the posting person, perhaps some comment might be left out. It's always left to the poster's judgement. It was just a comment......certainly nothing to get riled up over. Some of us DO get pm's though ......some smart and some not so smart. For years now it's been suggested by the mods to be mindful that kids, friends of kids and even parents read us. Just a thought........ PEACE!..Abe

alaskazagnut
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
here on this board. Some opinions we share are shot from the hip and others are well thought out. But regardless of our meaning well, our words are fodder for the masses who can pick apart every word. I am sure Austins mother is strong enough to handle unintentional negative remarks. By now in her son's hoops career, she has heard a positive to negative comment ratio of about 10:1. She is lucky to have such a talented child and we are lucky she raised his child positively. It would be great to let her speak for herself on this board. Especially if she felt that she would like to honor us with her story of how she is dealing with Zag life right now.

woohoo probably meant that on the toughness scale Austin is a freshman, which would be totally true.

gozagswoohoo
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Abe,

I don't think it's a big issue since woohoo's comment was clearly in jest, but woohoo should forthcoming with an apology if offense was taken. People shouldn't get offended by things written about them in a comedic light too much. If woohoo can't make his "preschool" remark then you start moving towards not being able to have shows like SNL or the Daily Show, because in essence that's what those shows do. I doubt woohoo has a single bad bone in his body, so he shouldn't publicly flogged. I got a chuckle out of it, but I also immediately realized that woohoo wasn't all that serious. That's just his personality. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Mal

Hey thanks buddy, that was a really nice post. Same goes to you follow-up post MDABE. And you are correct, it was just a little joke, and I didn't think about parents reading it. I hope they'd realize it was all in fun. Heck, I don't care who you are or how big you are, you're gonna get thrown around a little bit in your first few games and such, know what I mean? Austin is one of the most all-around talented freshman we've ever had.

And even though we're all being nice to eachother now, I do want to throw a "just joking, and sorry if I offended anyone" comments out.

ZagsGoZags
01-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Daye makes things happen. IMHO, he is our best all round player in the skills dept, except maybe Matt when you include everything on defense, offense, FT %, court sense, blocked shots, etc. I can't wait till he starts regularly, which I think will raise his shooting % a great deal. He still shoots like, if I miss this I will be on the bench. The guy is quick, with super reflexes. Wait till there is more meat on those arms and legs. He will be driving on anybody, like Adam did, in one more year, I think.
I have made so many positive predictions about him on here, I am trying to be careful about saying too much. I would never second guess Coach Few, but my view is that he is already in fact one of the top five contributors to everything, on the team, especially if you go by PT ratio per minute. He doesn't really have a major weakness. He even gets around inside well considering he is skin and bones.

mendiant
01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Freshmen are freshmen...

All repsect to Austin's mother...

I personally do not believe that there is anything wrong with a little NON INFLAMMATORY fan riding of a freshman.

I'll get on the new kid if I see him run out of line...

Conversely, I despise people who hail incoming freshmen as some sort of basketball gods due to their recruitability...

why? because I care about our guys souls...

Boys this young are way too suceptible to the ego monster...

and I will be the first to give him virtual hugs...

cair3
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
back to stockton...
I sometimes play with guys that play often with stockton, old school dudes that are tough. according to these guys there is no such thing as an away from the ball foul... maybe why stockton won so many games while being regarded as a tough/cheap SOB.

Pro players have basketball camps all the time after they retire... I think stockton should run a camp on setting screens, not only did he get guys easy buckets with great passes but also with great screens... probably the best screen setting PG in the history of the game to go along with best passing ability and best thief.

ZagNative
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
All repsect to Austin's mother...

I personally do not believe that there is anything wrong with a little NON INFLAMMATORY fan riding of a freshman.

I'll get on the new kid if I see him run out of line...

Conversely, I despise people who hail incoming freshmen as some sort of basketball gods due to their recruitability...

why? because I care about our guys souls...

Boys this young are way too suceptible to the ego monster...

and I will be the first to give him virtual hugs...
Mendiant, all due respect, this is B.S. You have no special window into the souls of the players. I just now sat back and visualized what my reaction would have been if my kids had been out there on the court, and some fan had deigned to judge the content of their souls. I would have been steamin', let me tell you. I would have assured you to not worry about their souls, because that was my job and the job of the Catholic institution they attend.

I love these kids for what they give us and for the kinds of young men I think they are. But when it comes to the personal stuff, I'm a believer in respecting their privacy, minding my own business, and assuming the best about them.