PDA

View Full Version : Casto last night at LC

zagsballer
01-09-2008, 07:49 AM
I watched the LC/Ferris game last night at LC. My thoughts on Casto...

I played with him in a pick up game when he was a sophomore and thought he had promise. That was before he went to Ferris. He is now clearly a man amongst boys on the court. Unfortunately I cant say the same about his attitude.

Ferris was only up 1 or 2 at the half due to two early fouls that left Casto on the bench. Ferris cried about every call that the refs made (I went to Ferris, I know how these kids are) but when Casto got his second foul he threw an amazing tantrum. After yelling at the refs and cursing like crazy he bumped Coach V as he stormed by the bench and threw his body into his chair much like my 5 year old son does when he is sent to timeout. I couldn't stop laughing, it was ridiculous. He looked like a fool.

Then in the second half Casto came out with 4 striaght dunks and absolutely dominated anything the Tigers tried to throw at him. Granted, the Tigers aren't the best the state has to offer, or even the GSL, but Casto made the LC seniors look like freshman. Ferris went on to outscore Lewis and Clark 40 to 10 (or something close to that) in the second half.

Without Casto, Ferris still would have won easily. To LC's credit, they fought hard in the first half. It became a rough game and favored LC as Ferris's shots weren't falling. But as soon as Casto emerged, the game was over.

I think Casto has talent, no doubt about that. I also think Ferris will repeat as state champs. As for Casto's future... He needs to grow up a lot before any decent school is going to want him. With all that has happened with him in the last few years, he needs to prove that he is mature and can make good choices off the court. That is far from what I saw last night. He is a huge gamble in my opinion. No matter what level he plays at in college he will be a gamble. His off-court antics will be a test to whatever program gives him a shot. Best of luck to him and to Ferris. I hope he finds a great role model, matures, and becomes a good collegiate athlete. We shall see...

lothar98zag
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd really like to see him @ UW.

Nevtelen
01-09-2008, 12:16 PM
There's always New Mexico St... they've had how many arrests on the team so far this season? It's pretty clear they'll take just about anyone that can ball...

kjstoph1
01-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Ferris is a great team that has an opportunity to set themselves up in Spokane lore. Casto puts them in a different plane than their opponents. His outburst in the first half was indeed memorable - and a missed opportunity for a teachable moment from his head coach. I can't imagine what hell would have been wrought had that been a Central Valley player under Coach Rick Sloan.

It was disconcerting that the Ferris coach continued a full-court press up 28 with 2 minutes left and LC having pulled their starters. As Zag fans witnessed last Saturday with the Pargo/Butler incident, when the outcome of the game is no longer in doubt...call off the wolves and get the game over. It would be unfortunate for a moment of youthful indiscretion to result in injury to any player.

I was impressed with young Mr. Minnerly - he carries himself with great dignity and simply plays the game.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for some of his teammates.

Not sour grapes from an LC alum...I can relate to having a bit of a temper and rivalry games are emotional by nature. Just an observation from watching many decades of Spokane basketball. Ferris will represent the city well in the state tournament and, hopefully, they are remembered for the quality of hoop played on the floor, not the reaction after the whistle. The choice is theirs.