PDA

View Full Version : Technical Foul question - Georgia game

zagzealot
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry if this has already been Q&A'd...

The hard foul on Pargo at the end of the Georgia game - didn't he shoot only 2 free throws? Pargo was going up for a shot, right? So why didn't he shoot 2 for the foul and another one of our guys shoot 2 for the "T"? Maybe I missed the other 2 shots or there's another explanation? I know we got the possession on the "T".

lothar98zag
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
maybe they had Pargo shoot the 2 T shots and it was a non-shooting foul?

no wait, UGa would have had at least 7 fouls by then, so at the least it would have been 2Ts and 1&1...

or maybe an ejection doesn't always = a Technical...

:confused:

Akzag
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
It is parsing terms, but a flagrant could be either a flagrant technical or a flagrant personal.

Butler's was a flagrant personal (ejection, two shots, and possession).

A flagrant technical would be shots + possession.

lothar98zag
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
AKzag is right - from the play by play in the box score on gozags.com (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2007-2008/gonmb15.html):

FLAGRANT FOUL WITH EJECTION by BUTLER, Corey

so no Tech was called.

zagzealot
01-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I actually looked at the box score too before I posted the question to see if Butler received a technical and this is what I saw:

Officials: David Libbey, Ken Ditty, Rick Batsell
Technical fouls: GEORGIA BULLDOGS-BUTLER, Corey; PRICE, Jeremy. GONZAGA
BULLDOGS-None.
Attendance: 12064

Did Butler get another one during the game?

alaskazagnut
01-08-2008, 04:20 PM
And it helped us out better as well in spite of the fact that the game was already decided.

lothar98zag
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I actually looked at the box score too before I posted the question to see if Butler received a technical and this is what I saw:

BULLDOGS-None.

fwiw, the T by PRICE is the only one listed in the play-by-play...

Akzag
01-08-2008, 04:35 PM

BULLDOGS-None.

It is odd, but I would have to guess that a typical box score just doesn't separate them out.

At least by my understanding, any flagrant, personal or technical results in the ejection. The flagrant technical most often would be called in the case of a fight.

Now Price's "technical foul" was when he, ummm, overdid a screen on Gray. Resulted in a personal foul, and then he yapped and got the technical (personal, as opposed to flagrant).

But at least in this box score, they appear as equal infractions.

Rubbadub
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
That particular foul is two shots and ball...where ever it happens on the court. At least that's what i'm gleaning based on how it was officiated in that game.