PDA

View Full Version : The Zags suck according to polls

BobZag
01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
No votes in either major poll for the Zags after beating Utah and Georgia. It is becoming chic to dismiss and write-off the Zags, and I love it. I hope the chip on the shoulder of the Zags becomes a boulder. This may be a blessing. A return to the attitude of 1999-2000-2001-2002.

cggonzaga
01-07-2008, 11:10 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=8435

Kind of scary we're having the same thoughts Bob.

gozagswoohoo
01-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I hope the chip on the shoulder of the Zags becomes a boulder.

And I hope the chip on the shoulder becomes a boulder on the shoulder of Bouldergeist.

Texas Zag
01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
We don't deserve a vote at this point in time. We aren't playing that good of basketball. If we develope consistancy and starting score points against good defense then we should be considered. The good news is that we will have a shot at Memphis soon. If we pull that off then we'll shoot in the rankings again. The selection committee seems to remember your biggest win when seating in the tourney, but GU's resume isn't that good this year without beating Memphis. We've got to clean house in conference either way, so it really doesn't matter.

gozagswoohoo
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
And I hope the chip on the shoulder becomes a boulder on the shoulder of Bouldergeist.

And I hope the chip on the shoulder becomes a boulder on the shoulder of Bouldergeist, and I hope the boulder starts to smolder as the weather gets colder, the players get older, and Bobzag cuts my pay to Ramen noodles.

D Hark 2003
01-07-2008, 11:28 AM
good i think we have become tight with all the expectations we need to get back to playing like we have nothing to lose, instead of being the team with everything to lose. Take it easy relax a little bit get loose.

zagfan07
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Lunardi still has us as a 7 seed in his latest bracketology rankings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

A rematch with Michigan St. in the second round would be a fun one.

El Voce
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hondo and I were discussing the old "chip on the shoulder" mentality last week, and I would like to see us get it back bigtime.

What I sense with this group of guys, which seemed to be lacking a bit the prior couple years, is a hatred of losing. I think losing just flat p1sses this team off. We are developing a whole group of gamers -- Daye and Gray to go along with Pargo, Pendo, Bouldin, etal., that will always play hard til the final whistle.

The national "experts" seem to run in a pack. Though many of them have probably never seen St. Marys play, the Gaels were the "hot" national pick for a couple weeks. My guess is, following their second half meltdown against a very good Texas team, that the experts will now drop SMC like a hot potato.

The Zags had a chance to shine natiionally against Tennessee, and didn't get the job done. So they just fell off everyone's radar. Good! This team should be plenty hungry now that conference is starting, and the pieces seem to be coming together at just the right time.

deathchina
01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
While I think GU should be ranked somewhere between 20-30 in the polls, I don't see what we've done to merit such a ranking at this point in the season. We've only beaten one team ranked in the RPI top 50 (Uconn at 46) and we've lost 4 games. Only one of those teams (tenn) is currently in the RPI top 25..so it's not like we've been losing to college basketball's juggernauts.

But as discussed already on the board..the best is yet to come for this team.

Texas Zag
01-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I'd much rather GU be in the national spotlight and still play with hunger. I don't think we need to play cinderella again to be a winning team and the more the "talking heads" talk us up the easier/better for recruiting. Gonzaga has to learn to play like they are supposed to be there all the time. Like it or not this is a national program and we are having a down year to date. It isn't too late to turn it around, but as a fan I don't see how you can be happy going back to being cinderella.

MickMick
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't care much about the polls, seeding, or national perception this year. Zags make the NCAA tournament and I'm happy enough. This team has a lot of growing to do before they can rub shoulders with the top 20 crowd.

ZagMan in Philly
01-07-2008, 11:50 AM
We got some love here

http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/2008/1/6/22833/27390

Texas Zag
01-07-2008, 11:54 AM
We got some love here

This same guy has St. Mary's as 16 and Dayton as 10. While he talks nice about GU he has no idea what he is talking about.

ZagNative
01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
And I hope the chip on the shoulder becomes a boulder on the shoulder of Bouldergeist, and I hope the boulder starts to smolder as the weather gets colder, the players get older, and Bobzag cuts my pay to Ramen noodles.

I am speechless in the presence of our emerging poet laureate. Woohoo = genius. Gave ZagNative a big hoot!

gozagswoohoo
01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I am speechless in the presence of our emerging poet laureate. Woohoo = genius. Gave ZagNative a big hoot!

Thanks ZN, I'm pretty much the coolest guy on this board when it comes to poems that don't make a whole lot of sense.

ZagNative
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks ZN, I'm pretty much the coolest guy on this board when it comes to poems that don't make a whole lot of sense.
:agreed:

spudzag
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey, who doesn't love the underdog. I'm happy to be there again. Agree completely with other posters that this is the perfect motivation for this team.

lothar98zag
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd much rather GU be in the national spotlight and still play with hunger.

:agreed:

LynetteG
01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
We got some love here

I loved this line: "Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin and Matt Bouldin's mop give the Zags a big-time backcourt."

75Zag
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
The reality is that - so far this year - GU has not done what it takes to be ranked and respected by the national media and D1 coaches. The fact that GU has beaten several teams that used to be good a few years ago (UConn, St. Joes, Georgia) means "squat".

Maybe the team will "gel" over the next 3 months. Maybe not. Either way, I will see as many games as I can, I will wear my GU colors proudly, and I will cheer for the team to go as far as they can.

That concludes today's homily. Go in peace to love and serve the Zags.

Zag365
01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
We got 'em right where we want them. The fuse is lit.

CDC84
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
UConn is a good win. They will be a NCAA tournament team, and probably a top 4 finisher in the Big East given the injury situation at Pitt and how bad Louisville is playing. The Huskies also have a favorable Big East sked this season. While I don't feel that GU's vic over them is enough to warrant a top 25 ranking, it is a better victory than some people are saying.

gamagin
01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
polls. But I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear from the Italians and the Irish, too, and maybe the Hungarians, before stating categorically, the polls will be proven wrong.

cggonzaga
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Agree with Texas and Lothar. If falling out of the polls is what it takes to get it going than you don't deserve to be there in the first place. If this is indeed an elite program than start acting like it. You don't hear UNC, Duke, UCLA or others needing to fall out of the rankings to start playing with a chip on their shoulder. They play with a chip on their shoulder because they know everyone is coming after them. If you didn't have the motivition before you certainly won't have it now.

I also believe that if you think this team didn't have the motivation before that you're underestimating this team. Our start has nothing to do with motivation. Ask Pendo or Pargo. The only chip on the shoulder we need to play with is the "we're going to beat you" chip, not the "cinderella" or "we get no respect" chip.

zagco
01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
In reality, the only people that should be allowed to say the Zags suck is us. Tough love, baby. Tough love. :)

Zag79
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
what have polls done for us anyway? low to unranked zag teams have made more noise than our hyped teams of dan and adam to prove a point. ill take an unranked zag team in a groove come march over a hyped zag team playing good early and folding in march any day!

primal23
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
This same guy has St. Mary's as 16 and Dayton as 10. While he talks nice about GU he has no idea what he is talking about.

And I'm sorry, but Samham in the NBA? I mean you can almost say he is like a Trailer...:confused:

ZagNative
01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I believe no one has mentioned that we have clawed our way to #2 of the collegeinsider.com mid-major top 25 (http://www.midmajortop25.com/), with a big boot in the face of St. Mary's, and we're now looking to slam Butler to the ground with a mugging going to the hoop to gain the #1 ranking in the "also-receiving-votes-top-25-poll."

Ziggy
01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
In reality, the only people that should be allowed to say the Zags suck is us. Tough love, baby. Tough love. :)

And we ain't talking see? So there!;)

TheZagPhish
01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
The polls suck according to Zags.

Zagme-totheleft!
01-07-2008, 11:03 PM
polls are garbage, but they arent going anywhere.

alaskazagnut
01-08-2008, 01:52 AM
WE ARE NOT "UNDER THE RADAR"!! WE ARE NOT UNDERDOGS!!

We are just not ranked in the top 25 anymore.

JAGzag
01-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Guys and gals, that sounds like loser talk! :) We all know polls are important for many different reasons and we all like to check mid-Monday to see where are team might be ranked. More importantly, though, I hope our guys continue to gel and improve ... and take their frustration out on the 7 dwarfs (yes, that includes the "mighty" SMC).

TheZagPhish
01-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Guys and gals, that sounds like loser talk! :) We all know polls are important for many different reasons and we all like to check mid-Monday to see where are team might be ranked. More importantly, though, I hope our guys continue to gel and improve ... and take their frustration out on the 7 dwarfs (yes, that includes the "mighty" SMC).

Loser talk? Dang it! And I simply wanted to be clever by inversing the thread title to match the sentiment here. (Forms 'L' with hand, holds to forehead and goes back to coffee drinking) ;)

zaguarxj
01-08-2008, 07:37 AM
The polls suck according to Zags.

http://www.k5kj.net/Fri35.jpg

Ziggy
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
WE ARE NOT "UNDER THE RADAR"!! WE ARE NOT UNDERDOGS!!

We are just not ranked in the top 25 anymore.

My thoughts are with AlaskaZagNut.