PDA

View Full Version : Holland done at USD???

tobizag
02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I heard from a reliable source that this is probably Holland's last year as the head coach...anybody with more knowledge able to back that up?

After a recent loss (SCU), Holland reportedly told the team, "I don't know what to tell you...you've got three days off to do whatever."

Then, after beating Portland, Holland held practice yesterday and the boys essentially ran their own practice as coach said they could do whatever they wanted.

Apparently the players are feeling a bit abandoned, and overall far too loose heading into a game with us.

The source also said "We are going to lose" (referring to USD.)

Akzag
02-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Holland is second after Davey in WCC head coaching tenure.

Seems that the conference has been getting new blood pumped in. If we can keep most of these coaches, the future should be very interesting.

GU - Few's staying
Portland - Reveno's 1st year, asst. at Stanford
LMU - Tention. Lute asst.
USF - Evans. Lute asst.
SMC - Bennett. Program's looking solid.
Pepp. - Wahlberg's first year.
Santa Clara - ? ... dream coach - Montgomery
USD - Holland?

It's all very intriguing, but we will just have to wait and see ....

lothar98zag
02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
IF the rumor is true...we'll all find out soon enough.

madness
02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
The more coaching opportunities that open on the West Coast the better for Dan Monson. I'm sure he would jump at chance for the SCU or USD jobs. Geographical recruiting would be favorable.

Also traveling to Priest Lake would still be timely (better than Minnesota)!

gamagin
02-26-2007, 02:56 PM
The timing, if true, makes no sense. we'll see . . .

former1dog
02-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I heard from a reliable source that this is probably Holland's last year as the head coach...anybody with more knowledge able to back that up?

After a recent loss (SCU), Holland reportedly told the team, "I don't know what to tell you...you've got three days off to do whatever."

Then, after beating Portland, Holland held practice yesterday and the boys essentially ran their own practice as coach said they could do whatever they wanted.

Apparently the players are feeling a bit abandoned, and overall far too loose heading into a game with us.

The source also said "We are going to lose" (referring to USD.)

I know nothing of the rumor and have no reason to doubt you or your source, other than the fact this is an unsubstantiated rumor on the internet..
:D

That fact aside, this practice demeanor doesn't seem to match the game demeanor I've grown to expect and loathe from Holland on the sidelines?

zagster318
02-26-2007, 03:34 PM
If true, how sad would that be if the Zags lost tonight?

former1dog
02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
If true, how sad would that be if the Zags lost tonight?

Hmmm, last I checked, Holland won't be getting any minutes at all on the floor and they've got 4 hard nosed, hard playing seniors that know what they're doing and have played us tough before. Even if the rumors are true, we still gotta play the game on a hostile court. Don't set yourself up for the big fall and the big negative postgame posting fest afterward.

Perspective, 318. Please.

zagster318
02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Hmmm, last I checked, Holland won't be getting any minutes at all on the floor and they've got 4 hard nosed, hard playing seniors that know what they're doing and have played us tough before. Even if the rumors are true, we still gotta play the game on a hostile court. Don't set yourself up for the big fall and the big negative postgame posting fest afterward.

Perspective, 318. Please.

To be honest, I don't really care if they lose tonight. As for the two games in Portland, that is another matter.

lothar98zag
02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
To be honest, I don't really care if they lose tonight. As for the two games in Portland, that is another matter.
Did you just say you don't care? :eek:

I know that tonight's game will have zero impact on whether GU get's into the NCAA tourney or not, but that doesn't mean the game is worthless - at least to me. The WCC title is still w/in reach....

zagster318
02-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Did you just say you don't care? :eek:

I know that tonight's game will have zero impact on whether GU get's into the NCAA tourney or not, but that doesn't mean the game is worthless - at least to me. The WCC title is still w/in reach....

Fine, not worthless, just not that important. If the Zags still had a chance at an at-large, then my opinion about the game tonight would probably change.

lothar98zag
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
You also want them to win the WCC title, right?

former1dog
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Fine, not worthless, just not that important. If the Zags still had a chance at an at-large, then my opinion about the game tonight would probably change.

I'll beg to differ. This game is very important. A win insures that Gonzaga wins at least a share of the WCC regular season title and may give us a #1 seed in the WCC tourney.

bulldogshawn
02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I'd say the Zags have an outside shot for an at large bid right now. Also, games like tonight are immensely important for our seeding in the NCAA tournament if we make it. Could be the difference between an 6 and 8.

Bulldog
02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a trick by Holland to get his team pumped to show him that they can play without him.

zagster318
02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I'll beg to differ. This game is very important. A win insures that Gonzaga wins at least a share of the WCC regular season title and may give us a #1 seed in the WCC tourney.

I'll buy the argument for a share of WCC title, but a #1 seed in the WCC tourney doesn't matter at all. The top two seeds both get a bye into the semifinals and SMC/USF are pretty much a wash. Again, it would be nice to win this one, but it's not essential in the grand scheme of things.

zagster318
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd say the Zags have an outside shot for an at large bid right now. Also, games like tonight are immensely important for our seeding in the NCAA tournament if we make it. Could be the difference between an 6 and 8.

I like your positive attitude, but with the expanded bubble field this year, it would take a near-miracle to attain an at-large birth, IMHO.

Rubbadub
02-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Even so, if they get the wcc automatic bid, they would most definitely get a better seed with a win tonight instead of a loss.

229SintoZag
02-26-2007, 04:52 PM

I respectfully suggest that a 6 seed is impossible and an 8 seed is a bit of a pipe dream. We'd be lucky to get a 9 seed if we win out.

brasszag
02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Heck I'd say we're between an 11 and 13 if we win out at this point - a 10 at the very most.

Bocco
02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Right now I don't care what seed we get.....just win tonite, Sunday and Monday and after what this team has been thru the past few weeks I'll be happy the Zags are dancing.

bulldogshawn
02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Crazy canundrum...

If we get in, we have a much more impressive slate of victories than most teams we'd be compared to for seeds between 9 and 16. Who else in that category has wins close to ours? Almost none. These seeds are typically the teams who won their conference (like the MEAC or Sun Belt) but didn't play much of anyone OOC (or were the dummy games for the big conference schools).

229SintoZag
02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Crazy canundrum...

If we get in, we have a much more impressive slate of victories than most teams we'd be compared to for seeds between 9 and 16. Who else in that category has wins close to ours? Almost none. These seeds are typically the teams who won their conference (like the MEAC or Sun Belt) but didn't play much of anyone OOC (or were the dummy games for the big conference schools).

Not true. In most years, the last at large teams in (which is where we are--on the bubble, probably on the outside looking in--right now we are in Lunard's "next four out" for example) have been seeded around the 11-13 seed. This has been pretty consistent over the years.

This year the best our RPI can be is probably in the 60s somewhere, which is at or near the worst RPI of any team to ever earn an at large berth.

Whether we get in as an auto bid or as an at large, the best seed we can reasonably expect is a 9. I would not be surprise to see us at 10-12, even as high as 13.

zagster318
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Not true. In most years, the last at large teams in (which is where we are--on the bubble, probably on the outside looking in--right now we are in Lunard's "next four out" for example) have been seeded around the 11-13 seed. This has been pretty consistent over the years.

This year the best our RPI can be is probably in the 60s somewhere, which is at or near the worst RPI of any team to ever earn an at large berth.

Whether we get in as an auto bid or as an at large, the best seed we can reasonably expect is a 9. I would not be surprise to see us at 10-12, even as high as 13.

Didn't Washington have an RPI in the mid-70s a few years ago?

GoZags
02-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Today's bracket from Jerry Palm (www.collegerpi.com) has the Zags in the dance and once again in the 3/14 game. However, this bracket has the Zags as the 14 seed, playing against 3 seed Southern Illinois in Columbus. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

rawkmandale
02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't want to play a team like SIU. Give me a fat and happy "athletic" team from a "power conference." A team like Kentucky would be great. Give us about 4 of those teams in a row. Texas, North Carolina, and ESPECIALLY Kansas. Throw in UCLA and Memphis, and we'd have a national title.

Please don't give us BYU, Wisconsin, Washington State, Vanderbilt, Winthrop, etc.

229SintoZag
02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Didn't Washington have an RPI in the mid-70s a few years ago?

Not in any of their NCAA tournament years. Their RPI going into the tournament the past few years has been:

35, 3, and 60.

Before that they missed the tournament for a few years going back to 1998 and 1999. In 1999 their RPI was 27. Not sure what it was in 1998 as kenpom's site only goes back to 1999.

sullyzag66
02-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't want to play a team like SIU. Give me a fat and happy "athletic" team from a "power conference." A team like Kentucky would be great. Give us about 4 of those teams in a row. Texas, North Carolina, and ESPECIALLY Kansas. Throw in UCLA and Memphis, and we'd have a national title.

Please don't give us BYU, Wisconsin, Washington State, Vanderbilt, Winthrop, etc.

Nor Nevada.

zagster318
02-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Not in any of their NCAA tournament years. Their RPI going into the tournament the past few years has been:

35, 3, and 60.

Before that they missed the tournament for a few years going back to 1998 and 1999. In 1999 their RPI was 27. Not sure what it was in 1998 as kenpom's site only goes back to 1999.

I was think of three years ago, but 60 makes more sense.

TheZagPhish
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Has anyone else seen or posted this?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/drooz/20070214-9999-drooz.html

Sounds like something is in the wind...