PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should drop Ira's !

FuManShoes
01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
It was refreshing to see Ira(!) in the game last night, but he blew the one thing he was supposed to be able to do out there -- dunk. I'm reserving the ! until he earns it.

Go Zags!

PS - This really wasn't meant as a knock on Ira so much as a thought that maybe we fans should calm down a bit in the hype department. Ira's missed dunk was a subtle reminder that what a guy does in practice doesn't necessarily make him a legend worthy of superlatives. If being a freak athlete gets you a !, then the majority of guys in D-1 should have !s after their names. In my book, playmakers get !s. On this year's edition of the Zags, I'd give those sorts of props to Matt!, Pargo!, Pendo!, and in good time, Austin! If being a good guy gets you a !, then give a ! to the whole team, even those on the redemption tract.

BobZag
01-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Never! :p

cggonzaga
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
You could see the ball just slipped out of his hands. He is the best athlete we've ever had. I hope he starts playing more as he did seem to bring some energy last night.

hondo46
01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Ira's presence on the court and on the bench is worth his scholarship. Our team is young and thin. Ira is thick and mature, just having him with the team is of great value. Did you ever walk through the park at night? If you did it was nice to be right beside your older brother wasn't it. Ira is that older brother.

Akzag
01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
... You don't tug on Superman's cape ...

omahazag
01-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Ira's presence on the court and on the bench is worth his scholarship. Our team is young and thin. Ira is thick and mature, just having him with the team is of great value. Did you ever walk through the park at night? If you did it was nice to be right beside your older brother wasn't it. Ira is that older brother.

Agree. You got to see a glimpse of what he can do (i know, he missed the dunk), very athletic.

MickMick
01-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I'll reserve the "best athlete weve ever had" title for Errol Knight until Ira! proves otherwise.

gueastcoast
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I too am very excited to see Ira!'s potential unfold but agree that the crown rests squarely on Errol's head until significant evidence to the contrary is presented. EK has always been my favorite Zag (well, maybe first among many equals....)

scrooner
01-06-2008, 08:29 PM
And EK missed a fair number of dunks too, IIRC.

cggonzaga
01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I'll reserve the "best athlete weve ever had" title for Errol Knight until Ira! proves otherwise

Ira may never get a chance to prove it in a game (for reasons not known to me). I've spoke with people that played with Erroll and have seen Ira quite a bit and they all say Ira. It's no knock against Erroll, he is a fabulous athlete. Ira is just a freak. I'd also go out on a limb here and say that if Mr. Taylor would commit to GU he may take that title from everyone.

hondo46
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Never met Ira but all the people I know who have met him absolutely love the guy. We have to use a little discretion on this board when we comment on guys who are busting their butts every day at practice.

Ziggy
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
With all due respect, I really dislike discussions of schollies being pulled during the season. Knock on wood. Maybe a thread for next June...

LongIslandZagFan
01-07-2008, 07:25 AM
With all due respect, I really dislike discussions of schollies being pulled during the season. Knock on wood. Maybe a thread for next June...

Not sure I saw that on this thread. Perhaps I missed where schollies being pulled was discussed. Only mention of schollies was the statement that just his presence on the bench is worth the schollie.

Ziggy
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Not sure I saw that on this thread. Perhaps I missed where schollies being pulled was discussed. Only mention of schollies was the statement that just his presence on the bench is worth the schollie.

Oops my BooBoo! See, I thought it was a fill-in-the-blank problem. But the emphasis was on the exclamation point. I should say now "with all due apologies' to the thread. Sorry it was late in coming.

Zag79
01-07-2008, 05:37 PM
And EK missed a fair number of dunks too, IIRC.

exaclty. now we are to the point of pointing out a guy missing one dunk and questioning his athletic ability? :lmao: i saw erroll and ira both play and ira is the more athletic of the 2 IMO. stronger, faster, jumps higher... i would like to see more time in game action before i post about his skill or name. ;)

zag67
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree that hopefully Ira can "earn" more playing time. He would be a great asset during the March madness. Against certain teams Ira, LG and Micah could really help on the defense and the boards. LG would be a great person to shut down certain players and hopefully he can improve his offense to be able to be more of a threat on that end of the court.

I think that the coaches have their work cut out to get them prepared and the chemistry working.

montanazag88
01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Ira Brown
- no prior D1 experience
- 4 minutes per game avg

He's a freshman for all purposes.....he needs time to learn the game at this level. He has the body for what the Zags need on the floor in practice and he's been good enough in practice lately to have the NCAA's 2nd winning-est coach give him 4 minutes / game. If these coaches like Ira, I like Ira. I think even Ira would want folks to hold back on the !'s until he earns more PT.

FuManShoes
01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
I watched again, and indeed Ira hustled and made some nice plays in his limited time on the floor. The dunk would have been nice, seeing as we've been primed to expect gravity-defying feats from this guy. All that said, Ira's response to the Butler incident was probably his best contribution:

Kudos to GU's Ira Brown, who raced in and assumed a peace-maker role to help settle a potentially volatile situation. -- Jim Meehan, Spokesman-Review

Ira, you get your ! back (not that you ever lost it). But please, finish the dunk next time so I don't have to hang my head in shame on a massive clank.