PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan's Spokesman-Review Blog

ZagNative
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Gonzaga Game Story (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6820)

By Jim Meehan
Staff writer

For some of the longest stretches of the season thus far, Gonzaga seemed more in sync at both ends of the court while posting a 75-67 victory over Georgia on Saturday.

But the positive vibes were somewhat muted as Gonzaga’s careless ballhandling and passing turned a seemingly easy win into an uncomfortable finish in front of a sell-out crowd of 12,064 in the Ronald McDonald House Charities Classic at the Spokane Arena.

The closing seconds became downright painful as junior guard Jeremy Pargo was knocked to the floor under the GU basket on a hard foul by Georgia’s Corey Butler, who was assessed a flagrant foul, ejected from the game and left to a chorus of boos. Pargo stayed down for a couple of minutes, then got up and took his free throws.

Pargo generally has a smile on his face and he was no different as he sat in a chair near his locker stall, but he admitted feeling some pain in his lower back.

“I was actually talking to (Butler) a couple of possessions before when they were shooting free throws,” Pargo said. “He was telling me that he liked our team and that we stayed together as a team, a friendly conversation. He seemed like a great guy when I was talking to him, unless he’s a great actor.”

Pargo said he felt fine and was mildly protesting the fact that he was scheduled for x-rays Saturday night. “Put it this way, if it happened in the first half, I would have finished the game,” said Pargo, who added that he was going for a layup on the breakaway because he wasn’t in the proper angle for a dunk.

Head coach Mark Few called Pargo “one of the toughest players, if not the toughest we’ve ever had. I don’t know if he’s even missed a practice. It’s a bad feeling in your stomach when you see him down and then see him down in the locker room. So we’ll see; you hope for the best.”

Pargo said Butler and a Georgia administrator came to GU’s locker room shortly after the game and apologized.

Georgia coach Dennis Felton said Butler had no intention of harming Pargo.

“I thought he hustled as much as he could, (Pargo) was going for a dunk and he just did the best he could to make a play to stop it,” Felton said. “He wasn’t trying to hurt anybody. Corey is a beautiful young man with as good a sportsmanship as you’ll ever know. The only thing I didn’t want was the timeout (that preceded the long inbounds pass to Pargo). That wasn’t planned, but some of our bench guys jumped up and yelled timeout.”

Georgia (8-4) took an early 12-9 on Billy Humphrey’s four 3-pointers, but the Zags slowly seized control as Matt Bouldin, who cracked the 20-point barrier for the third straight game, Austin Daye and Steven Gray, who made his first start, combined for 25 first-half points.

GU (11-4) got its transition game going and used an 18-2 edge in bench points, including 11 from Daye, to lead by as many as 11 points. Humphrey, who finished with 24 points, struck again late in the half with six rapid-fire points as Georgia closed within 33-28, but Micah Downs ended a five-minute dry spell with a three-point play and GU took a 38-28 lead at half.

Gonzaga pulled away in the second half as Gray hit back-to-back baskets and Josh Heytvelt, who also made his first start of the season, added a 3-pointer to bump GU’s lead to 67-49 with 7:08 left. From there, GU got sloppy and Georgia ran off 16 of the next 22 points. After an errant GU pass, Georgia had a chance to get within four with 1:36 left but Sundiata Gaines missed a 3-pointer. Bouldin’s free throws with 1:15 remaining sealed the win.

“The numbers weren’t totally positive, but I thought our defense was really solid for 10-12 minutes stretches in both halves,” Few said. “Offensively, we did a nice job and we shot the ball well in the second half. We just have to learn to be stronger and take better care of the ball. When you get that lead you have to keep attacking, but you have to make smart plays and we were stuck somewhere in between.”

Few was pleased that GU matched Georgia’s physical style and essentially battled to a standstill on the boards. Pargo had a season-high eight rebounds.

Gonzaga, which opens West Coast Conference play against Loyola Marymount on Saturday, made 56.5 percent of its shots in the second half and 46.3 percent overall. Six different Zags hit 3-pointers as the team hit 9 of 19 from beyond the arc. Georgia finished at 35 percent and cooled to 31 percent on 3-pointers after Humphrey’s hot start.

Posted by Jim
at 9:52 PM on 5 Jan

ZagNative
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Also check out the Spokesman-Review photo link for the Georgia game (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/photos/?gamedate=1/5/2008). Some great pics there and a few that aren't in the cstv gallery.

ZagNut08
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Interesting that felton didn't want the timeout, it was players on the bench who called it.

mendiant
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
“Felton said. “He wasn’t trying to hurt anybody. Corey is a beautiful young man with as good a sportsmanship as you’ll ever know. The only thing I didn’t want was the timeout (that preceded the long inbounds pass to Pargo). That wasn’t planned, but some of our bench guys jumped up and yelled timeout.”

OK a couple of things...

ARE you high??? a beuatiful young man with good sportsmanship???

Can I have some of that dope???

No on second thought, I like reality...sanity is good.

secondly...since when does the ####ing bench decide when a time out is called...

you are the coach, damn this is just sad.

TuckC
01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Also check out the Spokesman-Review photo link for the Georgia game (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/photos/?gamedate=1/5/2008). Some great pics there and a few that aren't in the cstv gallery.
I like Number 7

ZagNative
01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Mendiant, did you not notice this?

Pargo said he felt fine and was mildly protesting the fact that he was scheduled for x-rays Saturday night. “Put it this way, if it happened in the first half, I would have finished the game,” said Pargo, who added that he was going for a layup on the breakaway because he wasn’t in the proper angle for a dunk.
Got to be glad the bonk on the head is being taken seriously, though maybe they are also concerned about the fact he landed on his spine and was feeling some back pain.

And how about how tough that kid is:

Head coach Mark Few called Pargo “one of the toughest players, if not the toughest we’ve ever had. I don’t know if he’s even missed a practice. It’s a bad feeling in your stomach when you see him down and then see him down in the locker room. So we’ll see; you hope for the best.”
You know, you read these stories about Pargo growing up on the mean streets of Chicago and getting a slow start on his academic progress in HS, but I haven't seen Jeremy saying "poor me" about any of that stuff.

And at the game tonight, Zagnative had her first chance to see one of those spin moves to the basket in person! Love you, Jeremy!

Rubbadub
01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
As a ref, if you hear a timeout being called from a team's bench in an arena as loud as the Zags, with only a second left before the ball is inbounded, it's going to be hard to tell who called for it. I probably would've given the timeout too were I the ref.

mendiant
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
As a ref, if you hear a timeout being called from a team's bench in an arena as loud as the Zags, with only a second left before the ball is inbounded, it's going to be hard to tell who called for it. I probably would've given the timeout too were I the ref.

no problem with the refs....

issue with a coach who can't control players from calling to....

can you even IMAGINE the gu bench callling a to????

that is ####ing high!!!

that is an undisciplined program...

why are we playing them???

mendiant has let fly 2 f bombs in one evening...

she is pissed...

she is worried about pargo...

she will be leaving the board now lest she exhibit further reasons to go to the beautiful sacrament of confession...

shooting up massive prayers for Jeremy.

love,
mendiant

ZagNative
01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I like Number 7

Got to be careful, or these guys will break your heart...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/2008-01-05JeremyGeorgiaconsoledbyso.jpg

HillBillyZag
01-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Those of you who have wondered what "being a Zag" meant? Simply look at these two kids and you will understand.

zagmantis2001
01-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I posted this on another thread, but I don't buy Felton's story.

If the timeout was inadvertent, why have your players guard the inbound pass so tightly. I was in the fourth row off the floor, right under the basket when GU inbounded the ball. Felton had his players guarding the inbounds pass as tightly as any part of the game. If his story is true, why not back off and let the game end?