PDA

View Full Version : New 2008 Guard in the mix?

4EVERaZAG
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Don't have insider but here is the beginning of the Rivals article:

2008 point guard Darian Norris of Las Vegas Mojave High School was back in the gym working out a day after losing in the state championship game 54-51 to Reno Galena High School. Schools are heating up their pursuit of Norris, 5-foot-11, 185-pounds, and one stands out to him.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=646454

4EVERaZAG
02-26-2007, 11:13 AM
He maybe a backup option to Jordan Theodore who I believe is number one on our point guard list for '08. Norris seems to be a pretty solid player from what I have read so far. He averaged 19pts. and 8 assists a game as a Junior. Here is his Rival's profile:
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=54190

SWZag
02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Darian Norris, Las Vegas Mojave

Position: Point guard
Height: 5-foot-11
Class: 2008
Rarely in an individual camp do you find a point guard with scoring ability focus on running his team like Darian Norris ran his at the Pangos All American Camp.
A compact and strong physical guard, Norris controlled the ball on the defensive side. He did a nice job of pressuring the ball but not giving up penetration.

Offensively, he knocked down shots when open, yet spent most of his energy on creating shots for his teammates instead of forcing the action for himself. He played in pace with his teammates and rarely turned the ball over.

A couple high-majors are on Norris' school list, but more schools should be tracking him in July.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=550798

BobZag
02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
You just never know the recruiting strategy. I saw a big feature on Norris at Rivals last summer but never saw GU associated with his recruitment. At 5'11" 185#, he has a similar bulky build as Pargo, whereas Theodore is 6'1" 170", notably slighter.

This is what makes recruiting interesting and fun for me when the season ends. But his list of schools is not impressive (yet), which makes me wary.

laszagas
02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I am in and out of Mojave HS almost daily, I live about 5 minutes from there and work with the school. I have a meeting with the athletic AP next Monday. I'll see if I can get some info.

BobZag
02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
laszagas, we always welcome firsthand accounts. How does Norris compare to, say, Marcus Lawrence from Bishop Gorman, or any other PG from Vegas?

Gracias.

laszagas
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
only saw norris play once and never saw lawrence play. the two words i would use to describe norris (from the game I saw) is hustle and team. he played hard on both offense and defense and not only took the open shots when they were available (he can stroke the 3) he was very aware of open teamates and able to get the ball to them. he seemed to be everywhere on the court and never tired. he isn't tall, but built thick like pargo. if GU continues to recruit him, I will make a point to attend more games next year. here is a link to a full body shot of him in action to give you an idea of his stature:

http://www.fullctpress.net/page/page/4209095.htm

p.s. the Orleans would be a great venue for the WCC tourney... easily accessable, off the strip, but not too far off!!!

Bocco
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Suspect in your opinion any venue in Las Vegas would be great for the WCC Tournament since you live in Vegas. BTW if the tourny was played in Vegas does that mean one would know who won it since what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?

2Zags3Pups
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Bob, I take offense to that. I'm 5'11" and 190#'s and I've never thought of myself as bulky! Damn, I'm going to have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

laszagas
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
yeah, vegas would be great for the tourney since i live here...no doubt about it. hell, i'd even get a little golf scramble organized for those on the board that like golf. i've made it out every saturday in February... and got a little sunburned too. don't think i'd be doing that right now back in the kan