• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagAddict
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Early Season Victories

Early season victories and rankings are exactly what they are... nice victories and poll standings to have EARLY in the season. However they don't necessarily translate into how teams are going to fare in the second half of the season. And any team will tell you that it's where you end up in March.

I bring this up because many writers and publications are ready to hand St. Mary's the WCC title this year based on a couple of early season victories. St. Mary's is a good team this year, and to their credit have won the games they needed to despite the road loss to SIU. However, their BIG wins have come against 2 teams that seem to have had too much respect early in the season.

Tonight Seton Hall was thumped on their home court against UConn by 12 points... yes the same UConn team that GU beat in Boston. Also Oregon lost to an interesting Arizona State team (far from elite though) in their PAC-10 opener by 8 points. Both of these programs seem to be fading from their early season hype.

GU has played a competitive schedule as usual, and has not fared well thus far with the exception of the St. Joe's and UConn road trip. However, the teams that they have played (WSU, Tenn, and Oklahoma) are still ranked and barring injuries will remain ranked for the rest of the season. When it comes to the WCC schedule, I believe GU is far more prepared to compete for the WCC title than SMC (especially given GU's road experience compared to SMC).

I'm glad that there is another team in the WCC getting some publicity. I view it as an ABSOLUTE positive. I'm finally looking forward to watching GU battle in the WCC this year... especially against SMC. Maybe others who don't usually follow the WCC will watch the games too and the conference will rise from obscurity.

For the record... I don't see GU dropping either game against SMC. GU definitely has extra motivation to put SMC in their proper place, and I wouldn't want to have to face GU in late January and again in late February.

GO ZAGS!!!
  • AK457
    Kennel Club Material
    • Dec 2007

totally agree. Saint Mary's will be exposed on Saturday at Texas. It was the Oregon win that gained them popularity because Oregon was ranked 11. Oregon soon after fell out of the rankings. Seton Hall is falling too and SDSU is above average - not elite by any means. I honestly do not think Gonzaga will lose a single WCC game this year. 2/3 of the conference doesn't even have a winning record and Saint Mary's seems to be the only one that can beat challenging schools. Santa Clara got its ass handed to them against Stanford - the only high level team they've played so far. San Diego beating Kentucky was them betting a school with a good name in basketball - not a good team. They are presently an unimpressive 6-6. Also San Diego then went to lose to a school called "Marshall" in CUSA.

Comment

• ZagAddict
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

To win any conference a team needs to win on the road... I like how this GU program has prepared for playing on the road. I think that will be the difference between GU and SMC this year. The SCU and SMC road trip will be the toughest trip in the WCC this year, but not as tough as a St. Joe's/UConn trip in my opinion.

This year in the WCC reminds me of the excitement there used to be when GU and Pepperdine played. I only hope that SMC can sustain this level for more than 2 years like Pepperdine previously.

Comment

• Ziggy
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thank you ZagAddict for a reasonable and well reasoned analysis of WCC conference competition!!!!
        "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Pmac!

Originally posted by AK457 View Post
          totally agree. Saint Mary's will be exposed on Saturday at Texas. It was the Oregon win that gained them popularity because Oregon was ranked 11. Oregon soon after fell out of the rankings. Seton Hall is falling too and SDSU is above average - not elite by any means. I honestly do not think Gonzaga will lose a single WCC game this year. 2/3 of the conference doesn't even have a winning record and Saint Mary's seems to be the only one that can beat challenging schools. Santa Clara got its ass handed to them against Stanford - the only high level team they've played so far. San Diego beating Kentucky was them betting a school with a good name in basketball - not a good team. They are presently an unimpressive 6-6. Also San Diego then went to lose to a school called "Marshall" in CUSA.
          And we all know who the starting PG for Marshall is now, don't we...

Comment

• AK457
            Kennel Club Material
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by AK457 View Post
            Saint Mary's will be exposed on Saturday at Texas.
            Texas 81
            St. Mary's 62

Comment

• Zag4Hire
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

St. Mary's is like James Caan in 'The Godfather'...Popping off too much and getting a little too comfortable with favorable publicity. GU plays it cool like Michael Corleone because they know they are in charge.
              IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

Working...
              X