PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Luke Winn article on Contenders/Pretenders

MedZag
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Has a blurb about Gonzaga under his Sleepers section.

Judged only by its record, Gonzaga appears to be having a poor non-conference season. The Zags will enter West Coast Conference play having squandered all of their opportunities for quality non-league wins by losing to Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Washington State and Tennessee. That means Gonzaga might need to win the WCC tournament to lock up an NCAA tournament bid.

But the fact that the Zags are actually playing defense this season -- ranking 30th in the country in efficiency -- probably makes them a more dangerous team for the dance than in '06-07, when they beat North Carolina, Texas and Washington in the non-conference season, but finished ranked 80th in D and lost in the first round of the NCAAs. This season, Gonzaga needs no early warning but rather a boost of confidence, which is something that, unfortunately, we have not yet figured out a way to measure with statistics.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/01/02/early.warnings/index.html

CDC84
01-02-2008, 10:22 PM
The Zags will enter West Coast Conference play having squandered all of their opportunities for quality non-league wins by losing to Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Washington State and Tennessee. That means Gonzaga might need to win the WCC tournament to lock up an NCAA tournament bid.

I guess I am confused by Winn's notion of a "quality win." UConn isn't a quality win? With Pitt going down in flames with injuries, and Louisville struggling like mad, the Huskies have become a player in the Big East title race. And Texas Tech a potential quality win? If anything, it's a poor loss. Western KY is not only better than the Red Raiders, they are also far more likely to make the NCAA tourney.

Zag4Hire
01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
The only loss that I really regret right now is the loss to Oklahoma. There is no way that they could have beat TT playing the way they did and beating Wazzu and Tennessee would have been great quality wins but I would have really liked that Oklahoma win. The Sooners are starting to gel with a win over a tough WVU team on the road and could possibly be in the Big XII mix for the title. That is the one loss that truly bugs me.

When it comes to the tournament, I rather have GU seeded where they have a chip on their shoulder instead of a better seed where they get comfortable. Get back to the "Slipper Still Fits" mentality. I can watch that clip all day and all night.

jim77
01-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Memphis is still on the schedule...right? I think we have a chance with a healthy Josh. Memphis could very well be the #1 team in the country and undefeated to boot. It would be the biggest win of any team this year. If we beat Memphis(in their backyard) and split with St.Mary's we are in (NCAA tourney)no matter what happens in the conf tourney. The big fish is still in the lake.

zagmantis2001
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
In order to beat them, GU will need to solve the offensive problem they have right now. Memphis is way, way better then Tennessee. If GU plays with the same lack of energy in the half court as they did on Saturday, Memphis will absolutely wipe them out. Hopefully, the next few games will allow the rotation, and offense, to work itself out.

MedZag
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree with you CDC. Though I will say Winn loves defense, and has always been a Zag skeptic in the past because of it - so it's nice to see a nod four way from him this year. Kinda validates some of our rose-colored observations that Ray G's defense is making an impact.