PDA

View Full Version : Moving on toward Saturday in the arena

Reborn
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
What do we know about Georgia? I believe in the interview with Matt Bouldin after the Utah game I heard Matt say that several of the Georgia Bulldogs were suspended. What's the story on this?

I remember the Georgia game (in Georgia) last year all too well. What a painful defeat. It was one of those ugly Zag games believe me, and it started a downward trend that we never quite got over with. I think this game Saturday in the arena could turn out to be THE game of the year as well. It was a turning point last year, and it came be the same this year but in the completely opposite direction. If the Zags have a really good game (and they can) I think we begin to go on a roll. What do you think?

drnoe
01-02-2008, 11:41 AM
UGA is nowhere close to how they were last year. 2 starters were suspended and a current player got in trouble in November...gun possession? I'm not worried a bit about Saturday's game. This one is in the bag.

ZagNative
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Two of the guys who combined for 30 points against the Zags last year (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=263500061), Mike Mercer and Takais Brown, were kicked off the team before the season started. According to a December 18 ESPN story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3155002),

Brown, a senior from Flint, Mich., was subsequently dismissed from the team on Oct. 26 for failing drug tests, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Mercer was dismissed on Nov. 19 for "being a disruption," Felton said at the time. Mercer's dismissal came six days after UGA police searched the dorm room he shared with teammate Billy Humphrey, who was arrested for having a pocket knife in the room.

Georgia has an 8-3 record so far. According to KenPom, they have a 4% chance to beat the Zags (http://kenpom.com/sked.php?team=Georgia&t=p). However, keep in mind, if my memory serves me correctly, that KenPom had Utah with a 14% chance of beating the Zags, and Utah certainly came closer than that probability would indicate.

I don't even want to think about what a loss to Georgia would do to us at this point.

Ezag
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Still expecting a "dog fight"!!:D

gamagin
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
and only celebrate after each and every game.

the other side has our number. All of them do. if any team has a shot at us it is this year, until we get everyone rowing in the same direction at the same time. During the game.

also, I think it's important to walk around in the other guy's moccasins for awhile, too.

Our opponents, like GA and each of the rest of our opponents, can turn their own seasons around or back in the right direction by beating us. And they know it, too.

So should we.

pbriz
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
UGA is nowhere close to how they were last year. 2 starters were suspended and a current player got in trouble in November...gun possession? I'm not worried a bit about Saturday's game. This one is in the bag.

I really hope you just knocked on wood

drnoe
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I really hope you just knocked on wood

Yep...I knocked on my head 3 times!

Reborn
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Not having Mercer and Brown will hurt Georgia for sure, and yet I really like the air of humility I am now seeing in us fans. I guess that is the one lesson we can certainly have from losing. And losing two in a row, omG...a double dose of humility....:D Maybe that's the first step in turning this around. I really love the way our Zags gutted that last one against Utah out. That game was soooooooooooooooo close.....and it appeared that it shouldn't have been that close. And yet there are the Utes right at the end....shooting wide open 3's from the corner. At times, I really do fear that the Zags have not learned the lessons we are now talking about. AND THEY HAD BETTER.

The attitude I hear on this thread, that the Zags are wearing a target on their back, and that every team is just waiting to play us is so appropriate to remember from now on. That is the difference between the Zag teams NOW and the Zag teams in the early 2000's. Folks back then really thought we were just one of those Teams who dance BIG TIME in March and then are not seen again. Now, the Zags are one of the few rare opponents, a mid-major university developing a MAJOR baasketball program. We are now a team that the MAJORS definately DO NOT want to lose too and beating us gives them a sigh of relief. And the mid-majors are hungry to join our ranks, and a victory over us gives them greater hope of dancing BIG TIME IN MARCH.

Zagme-totheleft!
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
a dog fight it will be. let the better dog prevail.

Thomas_Sutpen
01-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Bulldogs win.............

(sorry--couldn't resist).

zagco
01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Just be glad we're not playing the Georgia football team.

ZagsGoZags
01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
dear drnoe:

I also think we will win this game, if I were forced to bet on the game

But when you say it is "in the bag," I get the uneasy feeling of taunting the gods. I know we can talk about this any way we like as fans in our chairs, but I know from my days as an athlete that if a player takes that attitude it can work against him. I hope our team will not take this game for granted.

drnoe
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I hope our team will not take this game for granted.

After last year's debacle at UGA, I seriously doubt the team will be taking this game for granted. It's payback time.

ZagNative
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Not having Mercer and Brown will hurt Georgia for sure, and yet I really like the air of humility I am now seeing in us fans. I guess that is the one lesson we can certainly have from losing. And losing two in a row, omG...a double dose of humility....:D Maybe that's the first step in turning this around. I really love the way our Zags gutted that last one against Utah out. That game was soooooooooooooooo close.....and it appeared that it shouldn't have been that close. And yet there are the Utes right at the end....shooting wide open 3's from the corner. At times, I really do fear that the Zags have not learned the lessons we are now talking about. AND THEY HAD BETTER.

The attitude I hear on this thread, that the Zags are wearing a target on their back, and that every team is just waiting to play us is so appropriate to remember from now on. That is the difference between the Zag teams NOW and the Zag teams in the early 2000's. Folks back then really thought we were just one of those Teams who dance BIG TIME in March and then are not seen again. Now, the Zags are one of the few rare opponents, a mid-major university developing a MAJOR baasketball program. We are now a team that the MAJORS definately DO NOT want to lose too and beating us gives them a sigh of relief. And the mid-majors are hungry to join our ranks, and a victory over us gives them greater hope of dancing BIG TIME IN MARCH.

I was beating the brush scouting for Zags photos this morning and came across a Zags team (not last year) that had three away losses in a row, came home for a win, and then lost another one, in the Spokane Arena. It was that team of well-known slackers and stiffs with names on their jersies such as ...

Casey Calvary
Dan Dickau
Blake Stepp
Zach Gourde
Mark Spink
Alex Hernandez
Kyle Bankhead
Anthony Reason
Cory Violette

Your 2000-2001 Zags (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/040601aac.html), who managed nevertheless to end up in the Sweet 16.

They went 13-1 in the WCC, however, which may be more problematic for this year's Zags with the insurrection down at St. Mary's in process and occasional unruliness from other WCC foes who seem not overly fond of us.

Reborn
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks again ZN. Always outstanding research. I appreciate it. I think that's a good team for us to begin a comparrison with. I think for many of those guys, weren't they in their first year as zags. It was a great accomplishment. I remember that well.

ZagNative
01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
NAME YR
Dan Dickau Jr.
Blake Stepp Fr.
Casey Calvary Sr.
Mark Spink Sr.
Zach Gourde So.
Anthony Reason Jr.
Alex Hernandez Jr.
Kyle Bankhead Fr.
Cory Violette Fr.

There's a good ESPN story (http://espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney01/teams/2250.html) about the Zags' path that year, which included a tale of injuries that should have a familiar ring to this year's Zags:

Casey Calvary was the lone returning starter, but continuing the tradition of great point guard play in Spokane -- started by John Stockton -- is Dan Dickau. Just think what the Zags' record could have been with this 6-0 junior transfer in the lineup all season.

Dickau broke his finger against Arizona on Nov. 29 and missed nine games. Gonzaga went 5-4 without Dickau, but Dickau's return ignited a late-season streak. The Bulldogs wound up losing just once when Dickau finished a game and enter the NCAAs having won 18 of their last 19 games.

Gonzaga still finished with at least 21 wins for the seventh time in eight seasons and avenged that lone late-season loss in the WCC with an 80-77 win over Santa Clara in the championship game of the WCC tournament.

Although they entered the NCAA Tournament as a No. 12 seed, the 'Zags are proving once again that they belong with the big boys. After knocking off Virginia in Round 1, Gonzaga put away a pesky Indiana State team to advance to the Sweet 16 for the third consecutive season.
Their Sweet 16 loss was to Michigan State

I sure hope that when the story of this season is written, Josh and Steven's returns will have a similarly huge impact on the Zags' fortunes.

adoptedzag
01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
That was in ATL, right? I was there :) It was a great game, there were a surprising number of zag fans in attendance.

ZagNative
01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, the Michigan State game was in Atlanta. Zags lost to Michigan State 77-62. The Virginia and Indiana State games were in Memphis.

That would have been a great game to watch in Atlanta, at least until the final 16 minutes. From the GoZags.com game story (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032301aaa.html):

Top-seeded Michigan State (27-4) was simply too big, too quick and too deep for No. 12 Gonzaga (26-7), which led 44-41 with just under 16 minutes remaining.

When the Spartans turned up the defensive pressure, Gonzaga had trouble even finding the rim. The Bulldogs went 8:02 without a field goal, throwing up at least three airballs during that span and missing badly several other times.

Michigan State ended up winning 77-62 and ended in the Final Four.

From Casey after the game:

"This has been the best four years of my life, everyone is like family," said Calvary of his final game in a Zags uniform. "I will continue to support the program and try to be like a big brother to the team. I have had a great run at Gonzaga, and will always cherish it."
Sometime this year Pendo is going to have to give his last speech as a Zag. I sure hope the moment comes only deep into the tournament.

BobZag
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
The UGA game is not a given--no game is--but the Zags "should" win it. But how the Zags play will be just as important, if not more so, than the actual win. Gonzaga must start showing improvement. That's the biggest thing to me at this stage.

Georgia will be more athletic and quicker than Utah.

MickMick
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Does anyone recall the game against Georgia last year? The beat down was the worst of the season. Worse than Nevada. Worse than Virginia. Worse than Indiana.

I'm not talking scores or statistics. I'm talking about the eye test. I have never seen the Zags look more athletically overmatched than in that game.

In fact, I am shocked that Georgia did not fare much better in the SEC. They were super quick, super coordinated, and had super hops. I was very impressed with that team on an athletic level. It was like playing against 10 Errol Knights.

GoZags
01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE]Does anyone recall the game against Georgia last year? The beat down was the worst of the season. ......Worse than Virginia. QUOTE]

You do realize that the halftime score of the Virginia game was 60-26, don't you? And the fact of the matter is it wasn't even that close. Just my opinion -- but I think that was the worse beatdown last season.

VinnyZag
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Why'd you have to remind me of that Virginia game last year? Now I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

WallaWallaZag
01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
just great...now we have a thread going comparing our worst beat-downs

ZagNative
01-03-2008, 01:35 AM
just great...now we have a thread going comparing our worst beat-downs

First out-loud laugh of the last 24 hours! And just in a nick of time!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/06/18/arts/07.06.19.seaport.span.jpg

BobZag
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Does anyone recall the game against Georgia last year? The beat down was the worst of the season. Worse than Nevada. Worse than Virginia. Worse than Indiana.

I'm not talking scores or statistics. I'm talking about the eye test. I have never seen the Zags look more athletically overmatched than in that game.

In fact, I am shocked that Georgia did not fare much better in the SEC. They were super quick, super coordinated, and had super hops. I was very impressed with that team on an athletic level. It was like playing against 10 Errol Knights.

The Zags were Georgia's "statement game" and "the biggest game all year" for them. Yeah, well, when they landed back on the ground it was an NIT and a Round 2 exit.

Btw, Zags led by 5 or 6 at halftime of that game.

jim77
01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
It was a physical beat down...to me it was the worst loss also. I don't know if they still have those horses(front court)....they looked like linemen from the UGA football team. This game is gonna get physical...glad we have lots of big man fouls to give.

Reborn
01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Brown is their inside scorer, but he wasn't one of those 2 Big horses. I'm not sure if they're back. Mercer, one of their wings, murdered us last year. Brown and Mercer won't be playing. I think the team has done well without them from what I read. They're a BCS school. They will certainly have some good athletes. Count on that.

I agree with BZ. How the Zags play is criticle. I'd like to see them come out for once on fire, and play with confidence before halftime. I'd like to see Mark Few stop running guys in and out the first half because it's killing us. I hope to see a set rotation, and have Few use it until the final 3-4 minutes if we're up by more than 17. Otherwise, keep the rotatiion going up to the last minute or two. Hope to see Pendo and Kuso stop making stupid fouls early which would screw up the rotation. Especially Pendo.

malmer7
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Couldn't agree more with the first half rotation comment. Our guys seem to never get in a flow out there - we hav emore talent than ever, and usually that's a good thing, but it seems like Few is still struggling to figure out who works best with who, injuries have played a part in that I'm sure... I guess that's what the WCC season is for though huh? Beat up on a bunch of slow and short kids while feeling out the strength of the team in preperation for Memphis and then the big dance?
One question (for anybody) - why do people call him Pendo? My wife and I just got a puppy and it is the same color as Pendos head, so we named her Pendie, I think that sounds better no? That's what I used to call him at GU when he was a Freshman...

sittingon50
01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Worst Beatdown:

Montana 103 GU 34

2-5-1945

lothar98zag
01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the Michigan State game was in Atlanta. Zags lost to Michigan State 77-62. The Virginia and Indiana State games were in Memphis.

That would have been a great game to watch in Atlanta, at least until the final 16 minutes.

XN, it was a great game to watch (until it became clear that GU had run out of gas against MSU's Offensive-Line like front court)

It was an especially good game to watch for Lothar because that was back in the day when a nobody alum could get tickets thru GU and sit really close to the floor w/o being a big donor or even a Bulldog club member.

rawkmandale
01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Reborn, please list which games THIS SEASON that Pendo has gotten in early foul trouble. I pay attention to that, as he is my fav, and he has had no particular foul trouble AT ALL this season, except for a couple of games - usually late game fouls - certainly not a pattern. In most games, he has only had one foul at halftime, to my recollection.

malmer7
01-03-2008, 04:19 PM
if he's your favorite, you'll love this (my new puppy: Pendie)

Reborn
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
rawkmandale: Didn't spend a whole lot of time on this, but I did research two games, important ones. Oklahoma and Tennessee: he had two fouls the first half in both, and fouled out of the Tennessee game. Some of them against Tennessee were questionable fouls for sure. Dumb fouls to me is when he shoves a guy in the back on a rebound where the guy has position on him. When a guy beats him off the dribble and he fouls (reaches in). Most teams teach/coach their players to NOT reach in, even in high school. So that's why I say dumb. Pushing a guy to get out of his way while running down court.

I'd like to see him use his fouls to really do some damage to a rebounder or a driving guard. Foul 'em hard. I seldom see a hard foul by the Zags and see 'em a lot by teams we play. This is called getting tougher. This team needs to get tougher in the opinion of more than a few of us.

rawkmandale
01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd buy into this if you were talking about last year.