PDA

View Full Version : Rep Rules, Rep Points Calculation

RenoZag
01-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Akzag & Rubbadub previously posted this "research" elsewhere; it is posted here as an easy reference for neophyte reppers, idly curious lurkers, and others. . .

The Rules of Rep - As We Know Them; Revised 7-31 -07 ( Originally Posted by AkZag )

I'd put this back up to update what we know, what we think, and what still baffles us, in the marvelous land of Rep. Please amend or add as appropriate.

Laws; - Those that hold true most of the time
1) Thou art limited to reppin' ten unique users during any 24 hour period
2) Thou must rep 20 unique users before you canst repeat rep
3) Thou canst rep a singular post only once
4) Upon acquiring 100 points, you receive an additional green* box signifying your achievement. An additional box is earned at the 200, 300, 400, and 500 reputation point levels ...
5) After which you must earn 200 ( ? ) additional rep pts to earn your next box, which shall be light green* in color, etc.
6) Certain personages of prestige have titles that you should not dare aspire to ever acquire yourself, so stop dreaming
7) Gray rep is given out by posters with less than 10 rep points or less than 50 posts.

* - for those unfortunate souls destined to have shameful pasts and are on their path towards infamy, the word green should be substituted with red.

Recommendations; - We hold these rules to be self-evident ...
1) To be repped, you must have a post
2) To be repped more than once by any said user, you must have more than one post. See Law # 3
3) To be eligible for the maximum amount of rep, that is to be repped every time you are eligible, it would be prudent to post at least once every two days
4) To avoid frustrating those who wish to reward you with rep,
a) let your presence be known by posting
b) those who rep others, are more likely to receive rep in return
c) those who sign their rep, are more likely to accurately receive rep in return

To calculate how much rep you give: ( Thanks to Rubb for this detective work)

1 pt for each green "rep" box ( Max number of boxes is currently 11 )
1 pt for each 1000 posts,
1 pt for each 100 rep points received after 1000, and,
1 pt for each completed year on the board.

Neg Rep Points = ½ of What your Pos Rep points are.

ZagNative
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I have to go lie down for a while with a damp rag on my forehead before I can post again.

And if you believe that ....

RenoZag
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
For those who need numbers. . .

-5000 - teeters on the threshold of banishment
-2000 - yells fire in crowded theater just to enjoy being trampled
-1000 - is a glutton for punishment
-500 - is abhorred by the masses
-100 - has a penchant for hyperbole
-50 - can only hope to improve
-10 - has a little shameless behavior is the past

0 - is an unknown quantity at this point

10 - is on a distinguished road
50 - will become famous soon enough
100 - has a spectacular aura about
200 - is a jewel in the rough
300 - is just really nice
400 - is a glorious beacon of light
500 - is a name known to all
750 - is a splendid one to behold
1,000 - has much to be proud of
1,500 - has a brilliant future
2,000 - has a reputation beyond repute
5,000 - has taken it to another level
10,000 - is destined for stardom
25,000 - provides hope where there is none
50,000 - makes the world a better place
99,999 - For those that move past 100,000: In The Rep Hall of Fame
??? - Carries a seriously large rep bat

Rubbadub
01-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Rub is pretty sure all legwork was done by Rub, until proven otherwise--no offense to AKZag.

Btw...grey rep is given out by posters with less than 10 rep and/or less than 50 posts. That's not a theory. :)

Akzag
01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
none taken ... but I did compile most of the first post here based on Rubb's research, meaning no slight to his hard work, just for the better good ... :)

Rubbadub
01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
2) Grey reps seem to, upon future reps from know posters, to take on the essence of the secondary rep - that is, a grey becomes a green only after a second green is granted on the same post by a known user

I'm pretty sure this is not true...

Akzag
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
We await your theory ... and then Reno can edit it in ....

RenoZag
01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
The Foo Rep R & D effort is stunning. . .the Fed should call on you guys !

MedZag
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know how much I had to give, but I'm pretty sure I just gave Reno a boatload of rep.

Rubbadub
01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
We await your theory ... and then Reno can edit it in ....

Gray reps do not change their value under any circumstance.

This one wasn't added to the rep rules after i posted it:
Btw...grey rep is given out by posters with less than 10 rep and/or less than 50 posts.

A new theory I submit for consideration--you receive an additional rep point for each year you've been a registered member.

RenoZag
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
To Rubb & AK:

I have seen instances where I have not received any rep but my rep points have increased, e.g.,

I check at 9:00 am and I have 150,000 rep points. At noon, I check again, have not received any reps ( the same 5 rep comments are still showing ), yet my points have "crept up" by a small amount, like 70 or 80. . .

My theory: Let's say a poster gives rep that was worth 800 points two or three months ago, as that poster's rep giving points have grown, then the 800 point rep from two three months ago improves to the current level.

What do you think ??

Rubbadub
01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
According to my hasty calculation, if that were true, every regular fooster would have around 100,000 rep just from me (which just can't be true since the highest rep amounts in the Foodom are a little over 200,000).

RenoZag
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
According to my hasty calculation, if that were true, every regular fooster would have around 100,000 rep just from me (which just can't be true since the highest rep amounts in the Foodom are a little over 200,000).

OK, there goes that theory. . .

Have you seen rep point totals increase without receiving new reps ?

Rubbadub
01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I've heard a couple reports of that happening but I've never noticed it happen to my rep total. I suppose it's possible that once gray reppers become green, the gray reps they give become green...but i don't think so. The other option to consider is senility. :p

RenoZag
01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I've heard a couple reports of that happening but I've never noticed it happen to my rep total. I suppose it's possible that once gray reppers become green, the gray reps they give become green...but i don't think so. The other option to consider is senility. :p

Type louder. I can't hear you, sonny. . .

Bocco
02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Type louder. I can't hear you, sonny. . .
does that mean we have to read all Rub's posts in 5pt and caps just because you can't hear him?

gray reps...are also given out when individuals of negative reputation (ie Uber, and other ne'er do wells) try to give out rep.

RenoZag
02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I received neg rep on a post. . .I deleted the post. The neg rep went away too. . .

The mysteries of Rep continue to unfold, like a Georgia O'Keefe flower still life. . .

Bocco
02-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I received neg rep on a post. . .I deleted the post. The neg rep went away too. . .

The mysteries of Rep continue to unfold, like a Georgia O'Keefe study of flowers. . .
If that is the case, then I suspect if you got pos rep on a post all of you pos rep received on that post would go away also.

That brings up an interesting question if I repped you and you deleted the post would I be able to rep you or someone else even though I had used my 10 reps per day?

Rubbadub
02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Rubbadub has a new rep discovery to announce.

Ahem! ...your rep giving amount automatically goes up one point for each year you have been a member of the site. :D

RenoZag
02-21-2008, 10:38 PM

Ahem! ...your rep giving amount automatically goes up one point for each year you have been a member of the site. :D

Is it retroactive ?

Rubbadub
02-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Is it retroactive ?

Rub doesn't quite understand. If you're asking what Rub thinks you're asking, how could it NOT be retroactive? :confused:

RenoZag
02-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Example: The day before your anny, you give me a rep worth 500 points.

On your anny, that rep retroactively become a 501 point rep. . .

Rubbadub
02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Example: The day before your anny, you give me a rep worth 500 points.

On your anny, that rep retroactively become a 501 point rep. . .

Ah! No, I don't think it's retroactive...I don't have any way of finding out though.

RenoZag
02-23-2008, 06:45 AM

Noted and added to the first post in the thread. Thanks Dr. Rep Rubb

RepRubb

RubbRep

It's all good. . .

ZagNative
06-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I have a spreadsheet to automatically calculate my repping power, after I enter the date the rep was received, my total rep points, and my current number of posts. Here's what the basic element looks like:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/How%20To/Compute%20Rep/CountRep01.jpg

To start, enter the date you joined in A1, the current date in A2, your current rep total in B2 (I copy and paste it from the User CP), the number of your green boxes in C2, and your current # of posts in B3.

Copy and paste the following formula into C3. Be sure to include the = sign and do copy and paste instead of trying to manually type it, because it's so easy to make mistakes in these kind of formulas:

=(11+ROUNDDOWN(B3/1000,)+ROUNDDOWN((B2-1000)/100,)+DATEDIF($A$1,A2,"Y"))

Note: you will only have to enter the formula when you initially create the spreadsheet. Formula cells are highlighted in yellow above. Manually entered fields have a white background.

The next date you need to enter rep, repeat the same procedure above to enter the date, total current rep, and current post count, but then instead of entering the formula manually, you'll copy and paste the C2 and C3 cell contents into C4 and C5. (Click on the first field with 11 in it, hold down the shift key, arrow down one cell, press control + C to copy the cells, release the shift key, and arrow down to C4 and press enter to paste the contents of the two cells into C4 and C5 respectively.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/How%20To/Compute%20Rep/CountRep3.jpg

If you'd also like to have a formula automatically calculate how many points a repper just gave you, create a formula by entering in cell D4 the following formula into D4 :

(again, this is a one-time-only exercise, since you can copy and paste the cell contents in the future)

=B4-B2.

Then to calculate how much repping power the points just gave you, enter in D5:

=C5-C3

On the third date and each subsequent date you want to enter rep points, enter the current date, rep total, and current post total as above, and then copy and paste the Contents of C4, D4, C5, and D5 into the corresponding cells two rows down.

(Click in C4, hold and hold down the shift key as you arrow left once and down once, press Control + C, release the shift key, arrow down twice, and press enter to paste the contents into the corresponding cells C6, C7, and D7.)

The printout below shows a proof of the formula pasted into D3 and the formula's individual components reconciles them with the total ending rep count F71 above.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/How%20To/Compute%20Rep/CountRepFinal.jpg

Looks hard, but I think it's about as quick and easy as it could be, though I am a goon when it comes to math, so you may have found easier ways to compute when you need it. (It takes me about two minutes, start to finish, to add new rep to the table and find out how much new rep loot I have, and that includes copying and pasting the rep points from User cp, opening the post for which I received the rep and copying and pasting my current post total, entering the current date, and copying and pasting the formula cells into the corresponding cells, and entering the name of the repper.)

Note that each two row routine is complete - the table isn't cumulative, but I keep the stuff to track who I gave rep to and who's thundering across the board unleashing massive rep points.

Akzag
06-29-2008, 01:48 AM
So ... just who are these offenders thundering across the board ... ?

Is there a "Top Ten Most Thundering" list, yet ... ?

I just wanna belong ... or maybe make up for it with "quality reps" ... I'm pretty insecure like that.

ZagNative
06-29-2008, 05:01 AM
You'll know them by their Foo Air Force bomber jackets.

Rubbadub
06-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Foo Air Force bomber jackets.

Ooooh...Rub wants one!

ZagNative
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Ooooh...Rub wants one!
You can get one for a song here (http://www.uswings.com/b-3.asp).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/Bomberjacket.jpg

You can rely on this classic heavyweight to keep you warm on the coldest winter day, and you can count on its enduring style to survive the fickle trends of fashion! Color: brown. Made in the USA.

Rubbadub
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Nice!

It's a little pricey though, especially if I wanted them to embroider a Foo logo on it somewhere. :p

ZagNative
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Nice!

It's a little pricey though, especially if I wanted them to embroider a Foo logo on it somewhere. :pHey! Nobody said fashion comes cheap!

I was thinking that Made in the USA logo at the top would make a good avatar for TexasZagFan ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/usw_usamade.jpg

but he has a pretty good one already.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/member.php?u=431

Query, though, if forced to choose between Texas and the USofA, which would TZF choose? Hmmmmm?

ZagNative
06-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Just sayin, you might be well-advised to be extra nice to Rubbadub ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/How%20To/Compute%20Rep/CountRep5.jpg

As of the rep he gave me a couple of minutes ago, Rubbadub's rep for my assistance in his bomber jacket shopping needs earned me 65,808 points, which translates into 658 addition points of repping power to me.

Akzag
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
(snicker snicker) Nerd!

ZagManFan
11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey, just curious guys, but where does the "carries a seriously large rep bat" fit into the Rep Points? Over 1 million?

Later boys, keep up the great work.:)

Rubbadub
11-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Hey, just curious guys, but where does the "carries a seriously large rep bat" fit into the Rep Points? Over 1 million?

Later boys, keep up the great work.:)

Not positive. The "carries a seriously large rep bat" title is relatively recent and is, imo, at way too low a rep point amount. LIZF's the guy to ask, ZMF.

Akzag
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Speaking on those monikers - have they been disabled? All I get when I cursor over Rubb's green thingys is "Rubbadub" (or other user names).

ID ZAGFAN
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Why is REP gone? No scales at the top of posts, no rep in my control panel?

ZaGranny

RenoZag
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
For those who need numbers. . .

-5000 - teeters on the threshold of banishment
-2000 - yells fire in crowded theater just to enjoy being trampled
-1000 - is a glutton for punishment
-500 - is abhorred by the masses
-100 - has a penchant for hyperbole
-50 - can only hope to improve
-10 - has a little shameless behavior is the past

0 - is an unknown quantity at this point