• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TuckC
    Kennel Club
    • Mar 2007

This is so early....

But next year could be AMAZING. I probably (definitely) not the first person to post it and definitely (probably) not the last one to, but c'mon. Unless Gonzaga goes deep in the tourney (which I'd love), we could and probably get back Heytvelt and Pargo. It will be a great loss when Pendo waves his goodbyes, but hopefully he has/will pass on his tenacity.

Daye will be bigger, Foster will get more offensive experience, Heytvelt will (pray to God) healthy, Pargo will get more experience and won't have to be the only ballhandler with Gray (pray to the Lord), and Bouldin will be a trifecta (possible ball-handler, forward capable, and a shooting threat).

I love the opportunities coming for this team, and I feel it will be great.

P.S. IRA! Could be up to pace, LG will be back into pace, Sacre will be more established and we'll have great Froshes coming in.

I'm stoked and hope they gain more experience and continue to do well this season.
  • mendiant
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TuckC View Post
    Daye will be bigger, Foster will get more offensive experience, Heytvelt will (pray to God) healthy, Pargo will get more experience and won't have to be the only ballhandler with Gray (pray to the Lord), and Bouldin will be a trifecta (possible ball-handler, forward capable, and a shooting threat).

I'm stoked and hope they gain more experience and continue to do well this season.
    Welcome to the church of Zag...jk

We are mostly intense and dedicated fans...

sometimes we take out our passions on the very ones who are the objects of our fanaticism.

The trick is, seeing the human being in front of the game...thereby dismissing the notion of said human being as object.

Happy New Year
    A Zag is generous.

A Zag knows he is much more than the sum of his stats.

A Zag has a desire to be part of something that is bigger than himself.

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2007

"But next year could be amazing." I truely do not get this statement. I genuinely mean no disrespect, but I don't see the point in such speculation. Last year this was supposed to be the amazing year. Now, barely approaching the halfway point of this season some are focusing on next year?
      This season is far from lost; four losses (several to very competitive teams) with an injury plagued team and our preseason optimism has turned to: 1) we may be playing in the NIT, 2) hopfully we can just get in the big dance, 3) hopefully we can reach the sweet sixteen, 4) predictions of maybe reaching the elite eight (all comments from this board), etc., etc.

This team is just starting to find itself after some very injury laden bad luck to start the year. I am not counting on next year. We have all the ingredients now that many once thought could take us to the final four. Reality check: some of the keys to this team very well may not be available next year. This year is our best opportunity in the forseeable future to go very deep in the tournament. The team needs to rcognize this as do the fans. The confidence of many has been shaken recently, but there are new factors in play to elevate us way beyond the team's performance to date. Lets keep our collective eye and focus on this year, it may be our best shot to get where we all want to end up at the end of the season. I am not falling into the trap of conceding this season to a phantom "amazing" next year.

Comment

• Butler Guy
        Kennel Club
        • Apr 2007

I am fairly certain

I am fairly certain that Austin Daye is going to be a Lottery Pick, have you all heard something that would make you believe he will play as a sophomore? Has he been quoted as saying as much? If not, you can't really expect a man in his situation to risk the contract.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

right now, IMO, he does not seem NBA ready
          he has potential, but NBA sees that as a factor, but not the only one
          maybe by March he will be much advanced
          is anyone in the NBA as thin as Daye?

Comment

• applezag
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

I can't begin to explain how NBA teams make decisions about who they draft and so forth, but it is obvious that Daye needs at least another year before he enters the league. That being said, guys have been drafted with lottery picks that were just as raw, so I won't reject that claim entirely. He does have a ton of (and I HATE using this stupid draft-day buzzword) upside. I think it would be best for Daye to put in two more years at GU, and that's not just me being a Zag fan. He is going to be great, but has a long ways to go.

Comment

• montanazag88
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Sep 2007

Butler dude,

What is behind the "I am certain" comment regarding Daye as a lottery pick? Your own observations or some insider info?

If this is your own view, with hat in hand, I have to ask, "where are you coming from?" This young talent is at a minimum GREEN talent that has everything to lose by going to the NBA (not that any team would invest in him at this stage regardless). Daye good be a big money pick. A chance at big money comes only after a proven record (high school or college). Daye will risk a "decent" contract by biting on a half-hearted offer from someone trying to "bait" a future winner. Daye's father wouldn't allow it...

From the RAW(good word, Apple) talent should come about two years more of shooting development (has a nice quick shot, but still comes from the hip), quicker inside post moves over true big men, a three-point game that includes quicker shooting over defenders (not just wide open shots), much more experience in big game situations - too many turnovers and ill-timed FG attempts at this time....all to be resolved and capitalized by his junior year, IMO, when his body is completely under his own control.

Maybe for another post....he needs to be a rebounding machine like the Zags of old (primarily on offense - for those quick put backs and easy points that make players of his size and stature point leaders... ala AMO). Speaking of rebounds...c'mon Zags...early season toughness on the glass used to define us.
              montanazag88
              P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

• montanazag88
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Sep 2007

By the way, TuckC, I happen to agree.
                montanazag88
                P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

• TuckC
                  Kennel Club
                  • Mar 2007

I didn't think from the beginning of the season this team was going to be Final Four Destined, unless there was a run, which would be possible but experience wise, unrealistic.

Austin Daye going pro? Josh Heytvelt going pro? Austin hasn't gotten the minutes for him to decide to go pro, and Heytvelt has already missed 11 out of 30. Unless Gonzaga goes deep in the tourney I don't see anybody forgoing.

Comment

• MickMick
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

You only have to look at Marvin Williams to know that Austin is on the NBA radar.
                    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• TuckC
                      Kennel Club
                      • Mar 2007

Yeah, but Williams played more minutes and scored more and his team went deep in the Tournament. I'd say Daye would be more likely if Gonzaga went passed the Second Round.

Comment

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                        You only have to look at Marvin Williams to know that Austin is on the NBA radar.
                        Mick being on the radar and being picked are two different things.

Comment

• Ezag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I am tired of "waiting until next year" I want to get into and go deep in the tourney this year

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Daye will be back

The reason why Austin chose Gonzaga has to do with their ability to develop players over time. He knows he needs development, as does his Dad. It's a family that knows the ins and outs of pro basketball, player development, etc. The family is financially set, and the 2008 draft is going to be loaded. I am 99.5% certain Austin will be back.

The only guy who I am afraid might bail is Heytvelt, and as I have said, I think that no matter what pressures he may face with having a young child and the financial end of that, I hope he comes back next year because I doubt he's going to have enough time to develop into a 2008 lottery pick, and if he gets drafted elsewhere, he stands to lose millions and millions of dollars compared to where he could be picked in 2009.

Unless you are Greg Oden or someone like him, it is so important for players and their advisors to understand the makeup of a draft. Is it a weak or a strong draft? Will next year's draft be weak or strong? Is the position I play going to be in demand or not? What is the makeup of my college team next year, and could that team's success (and the media attention that comes with it) allow me a platform to show my skills to the widest possible audience and increase my stock? These are crucial questions. If you consider them all and make the right choice, you end up like Rodney Stuckey, who was a mid-1st round pick in 2007. If he had waited another year, he might not have even been a 1st round pick due to all of the super talented guards that will be in the 2008 draft.

P.S. = Marvin Williams was a much more well regarded NBA prospect than Austin. Everyone knew that within 5 games of him playing at UNC that he was a top 5 pick once his freshman season ended. Moreover, he was the best player on his team. The only reason why he came off the bench was due to his respect for senior forward Jawad Williams. Marvin made plays throughout the season and in the national title game vs. Illinois that no one else on their team could make when it counted the most. Austin isn't there yet....he's not even listed on the 2008 or 2009 mock lists at draftexpress.com that were updated a few days ago.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Marvin was on the NBA radar as a high schooler. If he'd gone pro after his high school senior year, he probably would've been picked -- not second overall, but somewhere in the mid- to bottom part of the first round. He only went to college because he's such a smart, level-headed, grounded kid (and because his mom would've killed him if he didn't go to college).

Daye was not really on the NBA radar, at least not on the same level, as a high schooler. So he's not exactly in the same boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X