PDA

View Full Version : best lineup

jazzdelmar
12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
bouldin, gray, daye, downs, josh.....we saw a few mins of it in the 2nd half and they were playing v well.....typically, few subbed two of them out..........

drnoe
12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
bouldin, gray, daye, downs, josh.....we saw a few mins of it in the 2nd half and they were playing v well.....typically, few subbed two of them out..........

I agree. I may be wrong, but Few was probably having some words with Pargo at the time...they were sitting next to each other on the bench. I was hoping this lineup would have stayed in until at least the 5:30 mark. This is not to say I don't want Pargo in the game, because I certainly do, but I really felt this might have been an interesting couple of minutes that could influence the rest of the season.

CDC84
12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
I liked the Pargo, Bouldin, Gray, Pendo, Heytvelt lineup that started the 2nd half and featured the best offensive flow I've seen in 3 games. That lineup scored on the first four possessions of the 2nd half and built an 11 point lead that forced Utah to call a timeout. Unfortunately, Josh got gassed, Kuso had to come in, and the offensive flow disappeared. You also saw that lineup come out during key offensive possessions towards the end of the game.

surfmonkey89
12-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Totally agree CDC. I saw that and thought it was the most solid lineup we've had in ages. Substitute Daye for Pendo and you're looking at next year's horses.

I think Few's trying to solidify the rotation, but he's limited by the fact that Gray & Josh aren't in game shape yet. Once that happens I think we'll see a lot more of the five we saw to start the second half.

BTW, LOVE the drive & dish by Gray to Bouldin in the second half. The first thing I thought was "Pargo would've shot that", although in his defense Pargo had a stellar sequence when he busted his butt to get the ball to Bouldin twice in the same possession toward the end of the game. That was the sequence that clinched it imo, and Pargo should get some credit for not forcing it there.

CDC84
12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Gray's pass to Bouldin was sweet. He has such great feel for the game. Also, when Gray makes mistakes on the floor, he always seems to rebound with a good play on defense or offense. He doesn't compound mistakes.

I still wish this staff would create more plays for Austin Daye. He's just too offensively skilled to not be utilized. Outside of a bad decision to bypass an open 3 pointer against Tennessee and drive into a charge, he's had a couple of pretty solid games.

surfmonkey89
12-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Seems to me like we should 1) commit to having JH touch the ball every offensive possession and 2) be running Bouldin, Downs, Daye, Gray and even Pendo off screens until one of them gets open. Every one of those guys can fill it up, and if we get a couple hot at once, combined with Josh down low...watch out.

Even though we've had offensive problems so far, we definitely have guys that can fill it up but at the same time are really great passers. Seems like the flex is just about perfect for this bunch.

dim4sum
12-31-2007, 07:06 PM
The team is still trying to work its way out of a funk. Realistically, Utah is far from a national power. Slow, poor marksmanship, etc. The Zags at home should have put them away by 20 points. The Kuso for Heytveldt substition in the first half, squandered a big lead. Heytvelt in the end was winded but five or six TOs by Pargo is still far too much for the point on a winning team.
Pargo had some nice assists, though, when he passed back to Bouldin. In earlier games he would have driven into traffic and missed.

dim4sum
12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
This is the same Utah team that lost to Santa Clara by 17 at home, so the WCC will not by any means be a cake walk.

applezag
12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
As I first read your post, I thought "flex sounds just right". Sure enough, that's where you were going. I saw quite a bit of that tonight and hope to see more. The perimeter guys just need to look for JH in the post more. It doesn't seem to be a point of emphasis. I think if these guys look back to the Zag teams of the late nineties they could play a lot like them as far as offensive style. I think it would be wise to run entries that look to the post early and get them into flex. Not only does this provide a ton of downscreens for shooters, but post up opportunities for whoever might have a good matchup in there. For this to work, though, they need to get a lot more serious about screening, cutting, and precision passing.

MickMick
12-31-2007, 07:31 PM
This is the same Utah team that lost to Santa Clara by 17 at home, so the WCC will not by any means be a cake walk.

The WCC will not be a cakewalk. The conference looks better top to bottom.

From what I have seen of Utah, they love to shoot threes. A team like Utah can easily get mauled if they miss a bunch of em....unlike a team like Tennessee that can win despite it. I also wonder how the foul situation with Nevil played out in that Santa Clara game.

I give the Zags credit for winning after the emotional game in Seattle. They are improving like BobZag said they would. I am not using Utah as a measure either. The Zags just look better offensively regardless of who the opponent may be.

zag67
12-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Dim4sum, I do not get where you think that Utah is a bad shooting team. They are averaging over 71 points per game, shooting percentage of over 51 percent and a 3pt shooting percentage of over 41. Those numbers are pretty good. They did some great passing to get the open shots and did not make as many as they might make on some nights. But again teams that live by the 3 die by the 3.

I think that we saw some great things out there tonight and then some not so great. But I think with Josh in there, we saw some super improvement on both ends of the court.

rawkmandale
12-31-2007, 08:17 PM
CDC84 is right on............the best offensive flow lineup we've seen in quite a while was the Pargo, Gray, Bouldin, Pendo, Heytvelt pairing. The defense from that group is decent, as well. Perhaps that should be our primary set, with Downs and Daye getting minutes for rebounding and extra defense, and to take anything that is not forced in the offense. I'd like to see Foster get a few minutes per game - to keep him involved and learning.

CDC84
12-31-2007, 08:20 PM
As Leon Rice said after the game, the most important thing was just getting the win and ending the losing streak. The team will now have some time to practice before the UGA game.

TuckC
12-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I'd like; Pargo, Bouldin, Daye, Pendo, Heytvelt
Bench: Gray, Downs, LG, Sacre, Foster, Kuso

23dpg
12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I'd like; Pargo, Bouldin, Daye, Pendo, Heytvelt
Bench: Gray, Downs, LG, Sacre, Foster, Kuso

Ditto. Downs is hustling and I like his play, but he is not playing better than Pendo right now. Frankly, I can't see why everyone wants him to get more minutes. I think he needs to earn them back.

TuckC
12-31-2007, 10:07 PM
I am wondering how much his wrist/thumb is bothering him. He seems like he's wincing, but he always is. :P

WallaWallaZag
01-01-2008, 03:30 AM
i'm also worried by downs' lack of offense lately, especially after some good games earlier this season, and wonder about the health of the hand. he hasn't had open looks for the three ball the past couple games and it would be nice if few would run a play or two to get him open, maybe off inbounds plays which we've seen this year. maybe after the team gells a bit more we will see more plays run for specific players, hopefully a few plays run to take advantage of austin's midrange shooting too...