PDA

View Full Version : Killer Instinct

bzzz61
12-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I think that Pargo's struggles, questionable lineups, Daye's immaturity, Josh's physical conditioning and all of the other current GU struggles aside, there is one thing that this team is missing. Above all else this team needs someone with a killer instinct. Ever since Morrison left, this team has been without that player who simply refuses to lose. I'm not saying that the current players don't want to win but I have yet to see one of them step up and demand that the team wins.

When Morrison was at GU, he was perfectly willing to let the team win the game if that was at all possible. The difference with him was that you could almost watch him look at the scoreboard and with about 10 minutes left in the game would decide whether or not the game was firmly in hand. If the outcome of the game was in any way questionable, then his entire demeanor would change. He got that look in his eyes which to me very clearly said, "Give me the ball. I'm putting this team on my back and we're going to win. All that I need the rest of you to do is to make sure that I have the ball in my hands. I'll take care of everything else. Don't worry guys. I got this one."

I don't see anyone on our team willing to do that night in and night out. I had thought that player would be Pargo. Early in the year, I thought that I saw a glimmer of that in Daye. Maybe now that Josh is back, it will be him. Daye could still grow into that player but not this year.

Does anyone else see this? Who could be that player? Is that kind of player even needed? Thoughts....

MickMick
12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Drav had some of that "hate to lose" in him as well.

Unbiased
12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Above all else this team needs someone with a killer instinct. Ever since Morrison left, this team has been without that player who simply refuses to lose. I'm not saying that the current players don't want to win but I have yet to see one of them step up and demand that the team wins. ....

I don't see anyone on our team willing to do that night in and night out. ....

I agree - this team doesn't have that one person - but then again a lot of good teams who play within themselves and play smart with a good defense succeed. Tennessee, Saturday, was a good example. The Cougs are another great example.

bzzz61
12-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I agree - this team doesn't have that one person - but then again a lot of good teams who play within themselves and play smart with a good defense succeed. Tennessee, Saturday, was a good example. The Cougs are another great example.

I absolutely agree that teams who play well together, play to their strengths and have a solid defense will do very well. What do those teams do in that inevitable game, though, where they find themselves down and needing to come back? Who do they look to? Does it become hero by committee? I would rather have that one guy who knows he's getting the ball. That one guy who the other team knows is getting the ball. That one guy who everybody in the gym knows is getting the ball. That one guy who even SHeister knows is getting the ball. That one guy who is absolutely going to get the ball and still knocks down the shot. That's just my opinion, though.