PDA

View Full Version : Meech got the Win

theothegreat21
12-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Meech and his Klein Collins team beat #4 in the nation Montverde 45-43. He had 10 points but more impressively limited Dashan Harris who is the #71 recruit in the nation to only 13. Great win

ZagNative
12-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Stats for Klein Collins at Houston v. the Nation available here (http://www.visionsports.com/HvsN/2007/results.html).

htownzagfan
12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Was at the game - Meech takes a charge on Dashan Harris with under 30 seconds to go and hits a free throw to push the lead to 2 - intangibles - he just makes the guys around him better- the kid just finds a way to win - hope you guys are excited - GO ZAGS!!!

ZagNative
12-29-2007, 06:31 PM
htownzagfan, Wow! Great to have your eyes and ears looking out for us! That's insight we can't get from reading stat lines. What's up next? Will Klein Collins play tomorrow? If so, do you know the time?

MickMick
12-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I am really looking forward to seeing this kid in a Zag uniform. I have a hunch that he will be that guy with the "it" factor. I love the term "intangibles". It reminds me of Pendo. And to have it in the form of a lightning quick point guard? Priceless.

htownzagfan
12-29-2007, 06:52 PM
The Houston vs The Nation - was more of an exhibition series than a tournament - he had 15 points and 9 assists (I believe) -most of which came in the first half -in a 61 -39 win on Friday over Albany Academy from NY - to say he did whatever he wanted in this game is an understatement - when the game was on the line he just dominates and then when its over he does what he laways does create for others- make plays for his teammates and get them shots - am more than happy to keep you guys updated - might want to try chron.com or rcssports.com - chron.com might have some video by tomorrow - last thing to give you an idea just how good Montverde is - they have 8 guys who are who 6'8 or bigger - they start Harris committed to Texas A&M - a 6'9 power forward committed to Vandy, a 6'5 shooting guard -committed to Washington State, a 6'11 Jr. & a 6'8 small forward being looked at by Furman, Harvard, Boston University,etc. - when Collins needed stops, big plays - ie the charge - and big time rebounds Meech makes them - can't wait to see him put on that Zag uniform next year - Go ZAGS!!

thespywhozaggedme
12-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Htown,
I appreciate your p.o.v and I'm sure that being at the game affords more of a "birds eye view" than merely watching it but I think that Meech was outplayed and outscored by Albany's pg. In all honesty, I'm very underwhelmed by all of next years incoming recruits. But that's probably not fair as I'm comparing them to this years.

ZagNative
12-30-2007, 03:56 PM
ScarletNation - Rutgers Rivals (http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=756235)

Meech at Houston v. the Nation

No. 2 Montverde Academy returns to Florida winless

Montverde Academy found the Houston vs. The Nation tournament to be a humbling experience. After having their 40-plus game winning streak snapped on Friday at the hands of Cy Springs, Saturday didn't get any better as Klein Collins defeated the Orlando area team 45-43.

Friday night, Montverde Academy lost to a hot shooting Cy Springs team led by Phillip McDonald and Erik Williams. On Saturday, the Eagles lost due to a fourth quarter scoring drought that included a stretch of one of eight from the free throw line. The nation's No. 2 ranked team managed just a single point in the final eight minutes of the game.

Future Texas A&M point guard Dashan Harris rebounded from a sub par performance on Friday with a solid first half Saturday, but his free throw woes proved costly in the fourth quarter. Harris used his quickness and active hands in the first half to causing fits for Klein Collins, scoring 12 points and recording a pair of steals.

After being held scoreless in the third quarter, the 5-11 guard began to attack in the fourth quarter drawing fouls on Klein Collins big men and guards.

Harris couldn't take advantage, converting just one of six free throws in the last five minutes of the game.

Harris' teammate Marcus Capers didn't enjoy the same production on the offensive end Saturday as the night before, but again showed why he is a player that has a chance to be very good in the Pac-10. The future Washington State guard drew the assignment of defending Klein Collins and future Gonzaga point guard Demetri Goodson and passed with flying colors using his combination of length and ability to slide laterally to limit the talented Houston area point guard.

While Capers did a good job of keeping the tough-minded Goodson out of the paint, the 5-11 point guard ran his team to near perfection. Goodson always seemingly makes the smart pass and the correct pass giving his teammates high-percentage looks at the basket and Saturday night was no different.

With Montverde Academy possessing a huge size advantage on the interior, Goodson went into drive and kick mode setting up teammates for numerous open looks on the perimeter. Klein Collins 6-4 senior wing Derek Craig took full advantage of the catch and shoot opportunities knocking down four from downtown and a pair in the mid-range on his way to a game high 20 points.
So who you going to believe, Htownzagfan? Spywhozaggedme? Or your lying eyes? :D

Unbiased
12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Htown,
I appreciate your p.o.v and I'm sure that being at the game affords more of a "birds eye view" than merely watching it but I think that Meech was outplayed and outscored by Albany's pg. In all honesty, I'm very underwhelmed by all of next years incoming recruits. But that's probably not fair as I'm comparing them to this years.

I don't know what game you were watching - yes the Albany guard scored more points - but outplayed?

Meech to me looked terrific - in fact he looked as good as it gets. I am thoroughly excited for him to be a Zag.

CDC84
12-31-2007, 08:37 AM
I have been told that Goodson is probably the fastest guard Gonzaga has brought into the program since Few has been coaching at GU. He's faster than Pargo, PMAC, Hall, anyone.

He's an ideal replacement for Pargo.

I would imagine some people might look at the recruiting rankings of some of GU's players in the next 2 classes and view it as a let down after the 2007 class which featured 3 top 100 players. But I am very excited about what Goodson and Gibbs will bring to the program, and I just have to believe that Poling, who was once a univeral top 10 prospect, is going to be a high level, D-1 big man one day. Osweiler is the most underrated player in the 2009 class....a legit top 50 prospect that's tucked away in Montana. Goodson/Gibbs/Poling are also coming into a program that will have lots of talent around them. They won't be thrown into the fire like some of GU's more recent recruits. They'll have time to develop.

ZagNative
12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I get a better feel for recruits with an image in mind. Here's one of #3 for Klein Collins' Tigers from a game on December 11, 2007:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Goodson/2007-12-11DemetriHastings69KleinCol.jpg

htownzagfan
12-31-2007, 11:56 PM
First off - I think you guys mean Montverde's PG not Albany's - albany's pg was a kid who Meech torched for 15 points in the first half - and ps - in my humble opinion rankings dont mean anything - ask yourself this question - how do you get rated high? The top dawgs in the Rivals rankings score 30+ points a game - while Meech has no problem scoring thats not what makes him special or helps his team beat more talented teams like the #4 Montverde team - Meech is a floor general - a pure point in every sense of the word - he can get his team mates any shot they want. He turns good High School shooters into 1st and 2nd all district players because he draws defenses and then kicks out to wide open shooters - I would think that a team like the Zags would love a point like this - I mean Few is going to surround this kid with great shooters like Gibbs and the other tons of pieces already on the team and youre going to love the kid - plus boys bottom line is this - the kid is a winner - do you want a point guard who has the flashy numbers or the one that makes the plays that decide the outcome of the game (taking a charge on Dash Harris)??? Say what you will about Meech being outplayed - my question still remains - who was supposed to win this game and who actually won and why??? Just some food for thought - Happy New Year and Go ZAGS!!!!! Will keep you boys updated...

fedwayzag
01-01-2008, 12:49 AM
thanks htown and I could not agree more

RenoZag
01-01-2008, 09:24 AM
ScarletNation - Rutgers Rivals (http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=756235)

Meech at Houston v. the Nation

So who you going to believe, Htownzagfan? Spywhozaggedme? Or your lying eyes? :D

Well played. . .:)

Asotin
01-02-2008, 09:22 AM
"While Capers did a good job of keeping the tough-minded Goodson out of the paint"

Imagine that, it starts before they even get on campus. ;)

(Capers is committed to WSU, in case you didn't know)