PDA

View Full Version : Cowardly and Self Serving PI Article on the Zags

NanookZag
12-29-2007, 06:07 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/345339_zags29.html

What a coward that "Division I" coach is. If you don't have the courage to let people print your name when you make statements like that then keep your mouth shut.

Who are the "numerous basketball insiders." Stand up and let us know who you are.

The statements about UCLA, the Huskies, and Stanford are absolutely the truth.

We do have a better TV deal than the Pac-10.

Kudos to the Cougs who are the only Pac-10 team with the courage to schedule us AND with a home and home.

And P-I, if i had the choice between doing an interview with a secondary newspaper in a small market or national ESPN, I would choose ESPN. So, please complain about me too.

Butler Guy
12-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Those comments were so thinly veiled in their supreme envy, I do not think it is much of surprise the coach wished to remain anonymous. "Arrogance" is a common claim by those who are inferior. Gonzaga is simply better, period. When you are superior you get to dictate, that's how it works. If you don't like getting dictated to, get better. Does anyone doubt the man behind the curtain was/is the ######bag in Seattle?

GoZags
12-29-2007, 06:35 AM
I wonder what they think about the new jet.

tyra
12-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Alas, I spent many years working in and around the media. God bless them. We would be in terrible shape without them. But [and with no apologies] I would bet very, very large sums of money that what is almost entirely behind this churlish article is the following:

"A prearranged Seattle P-I interview with Heytfelt regarding his comeback was scuttled at the last minute and given to ESPN.com. The Seattle Times last season felt compelled to write a protest letter when scheduled interviews repeatedly fell through."

The same reporters who are instantly dismissive of politicians, for example, who have "thin-skinned" reactions to critical articles about them, have no skin at all when they don't get what they want and need, which is access. Deny a reporter access any time, for whatever reason, and if they can, they will make you pay.

kitzbuel
12-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Obviously the writer, Mr Dan Raley, has about zero knowledge of GU basketball:

Few, while privately explaining his recruitment of freshman forward Aaron Daye, son of former Bruins player Darren Daye...

David Pendergraph, Gonzaga starting forward and the program's only senior this season...

I would expect a paper trying to be a major metropolitan news source would encourage its reporters to research their articles better and have some attempt at editing.

This article doesn't appear to be written to serve anyone outside of Montlake.

Nevtelen
12-29-2007, 07:22 AM
This article is beyond stupid. One nugget of "wisdom":

Few, while privately explaining his recruitment of freshman forward Aaron Daye, son of former Bruins player Darren Daye, told another coach how he had to "blow up UCLA and their system and the way they play, that nobody likes how they play," and he couldn't understand why other Pac-10 teams don't do this.

If every DI coach in the country doesn't use this type of methods to recruit... they better get some new recruiters. I would be honestly stunned. A little holier than thou from some anonymous Pac-10 coach and the P-I.

And

Rather than fire back with both barrels of indignation, Pac-10 coaches say they would prefer to deal with this basketball cold war through diplomatic channels, or they insist that it doesn't exist at all.

...is so childish. Who are these "Pac-10 coaches" who were, I'm sure, exhuastively interviewed for this piece?

Edit: At least Bennet is a solid interview. He seems to be trying to not give this clearly biased reporter anything to work with. You get the feeling that the reporter kept pushing Low until he got what he wanted with that quote.

GoZags
12-29-2007, 07:29 AM
I wonder if a Pac 10 coach has ever mentioned that Gonzaga plays in the WCC, is located in Spokane, and has a 6,000 seat gym?

Edited to point out what I feel may be a more accurate Subject Title -- in my opinion it should have read "Chickenly" and self serving instead of "Cowardly" and self serving

RenoZag
12-29-2007, 07:32 AM
What a hack. . .he must have ambitions to be an employee of Mr. Murdoch.

VinnyZag
12-29-2007, 08:04 AM
For doing well, for outrecruiting Pac-10 teams, for playing hard-nosed basketball.

That story made me laugh so hard I cried.

Zagdawg
12-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow--just wow-- that is an unbelievable piece of "work" -- if you have an extra moment give the newspaper some feedback in the comment section about the article.

treehorn
12-29-2007, 08:25 AM
What a coward that "Division I" coach is. If you don't have the courage to let people print your name when you make statements like that then keep your mouth shut.

All signs point to Ben Howland.

23dpg
12-29-2007, 08:25 AM
I was expecting a bad article, but that was pathetic. The PI should really be embarrassed.

BTW, I heard from a friend's neighbor of an unnamed source that the writer of that story kicks puppies.

ZagNative
12-29-2007, 08:38 AM
It really does look like a product of envy by the coaches purportedly quoted. However, I suspect that what seems to me to be an increasing tendency by Coach Few to keep his hand close to his vest has antagonized some members of the press. I think that this story is more about the press getting back at Mark Few for perceived slights than it is about coaches' attitudes.

I was shocked in reading this in a piece by Howie Stallwick in the Kitsap Sun November 8, 2006:

Look for the Bulldogs to improve as the season wears on — Kansas transfer Micah Downs, a Parade All-American at Juanita High, becomes eligible in mid-December — but Gonzaga’s annual trip to the NCAA tournament is not a lock. That should make crafty but increasingly edgy GU coach Mark Few even more ornery with the local media, though we trust he’ll still find plenty of time for Jim Rome, Sports Illustrated and such as he maintains his national profile so he can land a big-bucks job down the road.
I could not believe how unprofessional and unfounded that statement was at the time. If you'll recall, Few was unusually guarded before the start of last season. I assumed that Stallwick was just taking Few's closed mouth as a personal slight. Apparently, local media's resentment was more widespread than that. And I would hope that the interview with Josh wasn't pulled from Bud Withers, who has provided great coverage of the Zags. I'd be steamed, too, if I were him and that happened to me.

In any event, it looks like GU's PR people have some fences to mend with the local media. That's not a fight they need.

wazZag
12-29-2007, 08:43 AM
That writer is....employed? I must have "mis-underestimated" the state of our economy.

billyberu
12-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Remember, this is the same PI that relegates Zag articles to the skimpy confines of the college bball section while the Huskies and Zags get front page consistently and often. If this is indeed sour grapes over access to the players and programs then it is thinly veiled. Terrible journalism as this is clearly a hatchet job.

zagzealot
12-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Wow--just wow-- that is an unbelievable piece of "work" -- if you have an extra moment give the newspaper some feedback in the comment section about the article.

I did. Love, evergreenballer. :)

mgadfly
12-29-2007, 09:40 AM
You can also send your thoughts directly to Mr. Raley at: danraley@seattlepi.com

gamagin
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I think your assessments and the underlying story here are about as close as one can get without waterboarding the writer.

Success has a way of drawing criticisms, warranted and unwarranted. and feelings, as tyra notes, and lack of access, equals WW III for those left out.

If you think about it, it's THEIR bread and butter, their paychecks and their egos as well as their jobs, getting messed with, if that is actually happening.

GU should remind itself of that, even if it continues to give whomever the better story, on average. respect and enough crumbs to make a small meatloaf wouldn't kill anyone. But competition for stories and access is what the media is all about. And there is no love lost between them.

Keeping a story from one source while giving it to another, depending on who asked and got said interview lined up first, is an unwritten commandment in media that should not be broken, imo.

these writers are saying GU breaks that rule.

There clearly were thin-skinned media types involved, too, and w/stalwick's broadside, bad feelings.

I happen to know stalwick and know, too, that what he said was very likely in league with the feelings of other newspapers (possibly the S-R, weeklies, shoppers and other client where he sells his columns for sustenance) who feel like they don't have the access they would like, either.

If Howie gets shut out or disrespected, it makes it harder for him to sell his articles. It means someone is standing on his lifeline.

I agree with ZN, too, that it is in GU's enlightened self interest not to start any spot fires w/these sources. they print every day and have forever to hold and repeat a grudge and to decide where to cut some slack or pour more gasoline to turn a spot fire into a bonfire.

fwiw, i do think GU generally is "guilty" of many of the charges. But so are all the rest of the teams. I have been cheering for more attitude, larger chips and better cohesion for quite awhile. we all have. that is what makes a good team great.

The difference is the allegations in this article seem to involve some sort of
superiority complex attatched to it. I don't see big heads nor anything else that would be considered false self importance or haughtiness or whatever it is those who feel spurned are trying to express.

I read that noise, Tyra and ZN's assessments aside, as simple jealousy. I welcome it in the sense that success always breeds these types of things.
If everyone knows who the best team to play for, and it is GU, then that makes recruiting twice as easy for GU and twice as hard for the other guy. The other guy is bound to be unhappy about that.

I hope the jealousy never ends. I do hope the factors that may be true about Public Relations and access, if true, are handled quickly and efficiently.

fwiw, I do think there are hard feelings and they will only get worse. Imagine how the loser, any loser, will feel if/when a bigtime player choses, say, WSU over GU, or vice versa. Then it happens again or repeatedly.

Bound to be bad feelings, if not among coaches, among alumnae and fans who question the tactics or whatever it was that made the future star chose one scholly over another.

Parity, which occurred in about two seasons between WSU & GU and may well happen with other schools, especially in the WCC, will also heighten the competition for players and wins.

And someone has to lose each and every game and each and every year. And that's never going to change.

How we handle our program is completely within our power and we should continue to handle it and guard what has been built one brick at a time with great dignity befitting the program.

BobZag
12-29-2007, 09:48 AM
I love it! You know you're the BIG DOG when others try to tear you down. Just ask Coach K. Everybody hates Duke. Why? They're jealous cuz Coach K wins too much. Hell, this pertains to every sport: USC in football, New England in NFL, Jeff Gordon in Nascar.

UW is having a sucky year and out of nowhere a UW reporter rips GU. I'm shocked, I tell you, I'm shocked. ;)

Btw, I know who one of the coaches is: Fitz. That's right. He was the one feeding lies about GU to SCU last year so to prop up his old pal Dick Davey.

Notice what programs won't play GU anymore: Trent Johnson/Stanford, 0-2 vs Gonzaga; Romar/UW, 1-5 vs Gonzaga; Howland/UCLA, way too close for comfort. This is why coaches who are friends do not play each other, ie, Few and Mark Turgeon, Few and Dan Monson, Few and Giacoletti (EWU) hated playing each other, to name a few. Conversely, you will never see GU play UO as long as Uncle Ernie is coach there.

Is anybody surprised? I'm not.

bartruff1
12-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I wonder what they think about the new jet. Now that is funny...I wonder how it missed that...:lmao:

sittingon50
12-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I always wanted to be a journalist. Imagine me as a political reporter for the p.i.

"Democratic President Mike Bush today stated......" Based on what I just read I'm guessing that sort of accuracy would sail through.

BTW, to all the anonymous coaches: When you've recruited against GU, have you been quick to remind that PSA that Mark Few won't be sticking around Spokane when a better job becomes available?

Give me a break!

FuManShoes
12-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I was expecting a bad article, but that was pathetic. The PI should really be embarrassed.

My thoughts exactly. I initially thought, "Here we go again, some Zagnuts are overreacting to something said in the big, bad Seattle media." But no, this article really is crap, and that's coming from someone who has a pretty big tolerance for crap journalism. To start with, it contains glaring mistakes, non-sequitors and an unsupported premise. There's no news peg here other than the BIS game that is hardly mentioned.

If Gonzaga's great sin is that it has the audacity to recruit against competing programs and give guys second chances, well then cry me a river. You don't think the big boys say to a recruit who may be considering GU, "Why would you want to go play in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere and have a schedule full of WCC lightweights and only get seen at 9pm on ESPN2 and FSN and flame out in the NCAAs and never learn a lick of defense and have what few NBA scouts even see you discount you because of your league's low pedigree?" You bet your ass coaches do as much ####-talking about opposing schools as selling their own program. What a bunch of mularkey!

MickMick
12-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I emailed the author. If I am arrogant, I might as well take advantage of the label and call the guy an idiot. This is another reason why I take great joy in watching the Husky meltdown the past 2 seasons.

BobZag
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I emailed the author. If I am arrogant, I might as well take advantage of the label and call the guy an idiot. This is another reason why I take great joy in watching the Husky meltdown the past 2 seasons.

If John Blanchette did a hatchet job like this on UW, with anonymous sources, I'd call him out too. But John won't because he's better than Raney.

dim4sum
12-29-2007, 06:21 PM
The guy has always been a sloppy reporter and a worse judge of talent.
I exchanged a few emails with him several years ago. He told me the Stewart twins at Rainier Beach High, were far superior to any NBA players the Northwest has ever turned out, including Doug Christie and Jamaal Crawford.
You see what flops the twins have been at the college level, although Roderick has a chance to redeem the family honor at Kansas. Don't think you'll ever see the Stewarts in any NBA stat.
Think he should go back to covering prep sports where, even on that level he gets his information screwed up.
Seattle has two dailies one is pathetic, the other is abysmal. Now I know why I subscribe to the LA Times.

applezag
12-29-2007, 06:41 PM
My guess: Cameron Dollar

ZagsGoZags
12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I haven't seen swagger, or attitude, by this team, but it is a moot point after tonight's game. We are in a somewhat grim struggle again, like last year.

I think two years ago, with a record of 25-3 or so late in the season, spoiled me, and now it is back to reality time.

CDC84
12-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Few, while privately explaining his recruitment of freshman forward Aaron Daye, son of former Bruins player Darren Daye, told another coach how he had to "blow up UCLA and their system and the way they play, that nobody likes how they play," and he couldn't understand why other Pac-10 teams don't do this.

I really doubt that Few truly believes that other Pac 10 coaches don't use this against Howland in the recruiting wars. You can bet your bottom dollar that guys like Olson and Romar have done the same thing. Besides, the whole point the author is trying to make here makes no sense to begin with, because UCLA, frankly, was minimally involved in the recruitment of Austin Daye. Few wouldn't have needed to use such tactics.