PDA

View Full Version : This year vs. Last year: Who's better?

tyra
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Amidst all the doom and gloom about where we are, it occured to me that a comparison with last year might provide perspective. Is this year's team (going to be) better or worse than last year's? Why or why not? What about when they have had time to work together and heal? Does the loss of Mallon and Raivio but the addition of this year's class yield a less competitive team?

zag67
12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
I would have to say better, assuming no injuries to key players. We have Josh and Gray coming back from injury. We have Sacre, Daye and Gray that will be learning and since they will be getting a lot of minutes are improving at a rate that would normally be next year. We have potential 3 pt shooters in Gray, Downs, Daye, Pendo, Josh and Bouldin. We have a set of passers in Pargo, Bouldin, and Daye. Now that Josh is back we will have an inside threath which will then open the middle and outside. I also think that Josh will help in the defense of their big men. It gives us another tall body.

I also think that I see them working very hard as a team (not always and hopefully this improves). I also see lots of hustle, that I think will also show benefits.

Lastly we have more depth than last year. We just have to convert that into wins.

Zag365
12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
A little OT but today's Seattle P-I has a teaser headline on the front page indicating that there will be an article in tomorrow's Sport section addressing whether the success of the GU basketball program has corrupted what got us there in the first place.

BobZag
12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Amidst all the doom and gloom about where we are, it occured to me that a comparison with last year might provide perspective. Is this year's team (going to be) better or worse than last year's? Why or why not? What about when they have had time to work together and heal? Does the loss of Mallon and Raivio but the addition of this year's class yield a less competitive team?

Hmmm, hard to say. It's inconclusive.

Josh = Don't know yet
Micah = A little better?
Matt = A little better?
Kuso = Same
Pendo = Same
Pargo = A little better?
LG = A little better
Daye, Gray, Sacre > Mallon, Raivio = just barely, Raivio was good

By Memphis or so we'll have a clearer picture of who is better and what team is better. Last year we had marquee W's over UNC, Texas... This year, nothing yet.

ZagMania
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
If we are comparing the peak of last year, which for me was either the fifth game (UNC) or the ninth game (Texas), to the best we've done this year I would take last years team. When we were clicking in the beginning of season the offense was absolutely spectacular.

However, this team certainly has the potential to have a much better peak at a much better time.

MickMick
12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
None of the newcomers have come up as big as the senior Ravio did...as can be expected. He pushed up tempo, he hit big shots in important games, he was the best free throw shooter in the land. We miss him.

thebigsmoove
12-28-2007, 06:07 PM
of course losing raivio is a big loss, but i think we are a better all around team this year, as mark few has said, we got a lot more depth than ever before. definately a better talented team, now as far as results, it may not be much prettier than last year, but when all is said and done if we can get everyone back and bring in grant gibbs, demetri goodson, and andy poling, then i think next year could be the year that this team makes is first final four run. Experience is key here.

bartruff1
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
The simple answer is that if they played each other... last years team would win...

Unbiased
12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
The simple answer is that if they played each other... last years team would win...

I respectfully disagree.

This year's team and last years team about the same offensively. (Please don't cite shooting percentage) Ravio, though a good uncontested shooter never could penetrate the way Pargo can and does. Defensively this year's team is much better.

The only thing wrong with this year's team is they have not really had even an average presence in the middle without Josh. Its been especially noticable against better competition. If Josh goes only 4 for 10 against Tennessee, grabs eight boards, and blocks two shots - Gonzaga wins.

MickMick
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I respectfully disagree.

This year's team and last years team about the same offensively. (Please don't cite shooting percentage) Ravio, though a good uncontested shooter never could penetrate the way Pargo can and does. Defensively this year's team is much better.

The only thing wrong with this year's team is they have not really had even an average presence in the middle without Josh. Its been especially noticable against better competition. If Josh goes only 4 for 10 against Tennessee, grabs eight boards, and blocks two shots - Gonzaga wins.

100% disagree with this. Can't compare Ravio vs Pargo when that was last year's backcourt. And the Zags are about the same offensively? What team have you been watching?

saintzag
12-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Mick agree 100%.Last year we had a better back court and more speed .Ravio and Pmac were faster and better scorers than gray and LG.THEY ALSO allowed Few to at times to utilize a three guard set and against Memphis for a short, but effective time, 4 guards.

brasszag
12-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Given our struggles to maintain a presence in the paint this year I think we're more in need of a Mallon than a Raivio.

He really was a very smart player with the flex/motion offense from either the low or high post- not great but smart and solid.

Zag79
01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
last years team. this team has way more talent, but Raivio kept the offense in motion. anyone can have there opinions on DR, but you cant deny that he was way more capable of running the offense and hitting 3s than anyone on the court this year. until we win against a good team ill vote for last year.