PDA

View Full Version : GU-Tenn.....Game of the week.

MDABE80
12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
I think the writer is just plain nuts......at least I hope so: Anyway....here goes.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=755339

VaBeachZAG
12-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I strongly suspect this guy's season prediction record of 3-1 is about to become 3-2.

TexasZagFan
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
I strongly suspect this guy's season prediction record of 3-1 is about to become 3-2.

Especially if the Vols base their travel itinerary on this:

The Vols (11-1), though, are climbing back into the clouds. They'll carry a six-game winning streak into Spokane, Wash., for Saturday's game with Gonzaga (9-3).

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

kitzbuel
12-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Lofton, a 6-2 senior, was on everybody's All-American list. He's still the Vols' leading scorer (14.8 points per game), but his shooting touch has abandoned him. A career 47.5-percent shooter, he's hitting only 34.7 percent this season, and the Vols should be alarmed. Downs, a 6-8 junior, is a transfer from Kansas who leads the Bulldogs in rebounding (5.3). He has picked up his scoring over the past five games to push his season average to 10.7 points per game

Not sure I get his logic here. If anything I would say it is a wash. Downs is starting to find his stroke and, if H-velt plays much at all, he will be able to get more time shooting from outside which works to the Zags favor.

JAGzag
12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Not sure I get his logic here. If anything I would say it is a wash. Downs is starting to find his stroke and, if H-velt plays much at all, he will be able to get more time shooting from outside which works to the Zags favor.

A wash? Look, I'm big on Downs but saying he's at the level of Lofton is a bit much. At some point yes, but he's just recently finding his stroke. Lofton is the real deal. I do agree with the help of JH opening up looks for shooters like Downs - once that happens this team will find its stroke.

Zaginhidding
12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Our bench is far and away better if you have Josh on the sideline. Not sure how you base a team's bench off of JP Prince alone, but with Josh, Gray, LG, Daye and the rest, I feel we have a clear advantage there.

Even with Josh starting I feel we have a stronger bench play. Matter of fact if Josh starts then he should have the advantage as well. Guy is a goof.

Zags by 7

Nevtelen
12-28-2007, 03:32 PM
I also really think that Downs/Lofton is a wash - Lofton has been very unimpressive this season, unlike last year. Downs will play solid D and hold Lofton to another bad outing (along with LG and whoever else gets Lofton).

Honestly, I think the biggest problems we'll have are Smith and Williams. I really hope GU will try and slow it down on the Vols a bit and also play very strong perimiter D (clearly necessary - this isn't UConn who you can safely bet won't make enough from outside against a zone to hurt you). That leaves driving threats from the guards, which I think are containable, for the most part. I think that leaves the inside game, where Tenn will probably do very well with GU unable to leave perimiter players much to show many double-teams down low. Could be the biggest problem.

CDC84
12-28-2007, 05:43 PM
The biggest issue for Gonzaga in this game is limiting their turnovers, period. It means more than any individual matchup, how much Lofton scores or doesn't score, etc.

If GU keeps the TO's to a reasonable level, I still say they win. The key is to get the Vols to play halfcourt defense.

BTW = unlike what the Rivals writer implies, Jeremy Pargo will not be the only guy handling Tennessee's press. Few is not going to put Jeremy in a position where he has to dribble thru a mine field each time GU inbounds the ball. I expect Gonzaga to utilize it's height (see Downs, Daye) to beat the press very much like Few used Adam to beat Romar's press in the GU/UW matchups.

Zaginhidding
12-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Took me a while to find this, but I sure hope we start out like this tomorrow.

Go to about the 2:30 mark and play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-H_nY6FZU

Zaginhidding
12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Also hope to see a whole lot of this guy as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZbMWANmgs

Zaginhidding
12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
And hope he plays like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE