PDA

View Full Version : How the Zags could run the table...

BobZag
12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Currently the Zags have shot 45.6% from the field. As you can see by going through stats from previous years here:

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/gonz-m-baskbl-archive.html

Zag teams of previous years are much closer to 50%, some above 50%. It is obvious that the difference between being 12-0 and 9-3 is the Zags' offense.

Conversely, I think the Zag defense has, for the most part, been good to stellar. Holding opponants to 38.2% is as good as any Zags team has done, the 2003-04 being a close 2nd.

So it is easy to see what the problem is: Offense.

The question posed to this board is: How does this get fixed? Because if it does, indeed, get fixed, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how Gonzaga will do.

ZagManFan
12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
A set 7-8 man rotation. Yes, some will lose minutes, but that may be what it needs for this team to gel on the court.

Akzag
12-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Put the Biscuit in the Basket.

BobZag
12-27-2007, 05:30 PM
This team's margin of victory is also very strong at 13 points. 2003-04 was a bit better at 15, but 13 is darn good.

Again, if this squad shoots, say, 49%, it would make a world of difference.

MDABE80
12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Boards.........

sittingon50
12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Josh shot .537 last year thru 25 games; #4 in WCC (#2 among returners). Not only is that a tangible stat but I also would speculate that his presence would open up things for everyone else, particularly Daye whose .406 is the worst among the contributor's but would probably draw a weaker defender if Josh is in the lineup.

MedZag
12-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Boards.........

Agreed. How does this year's team compare for FG attempts? I think we're missing 2nd chance points more than 3-4% in our shooting. We haven't had a consistent inside presence for putbacks and offensive boards without josh.

BobZag
12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Josh shot .537 last year thru 25 games; #4 in WCC (#2 among returners). Not only is that a tangible stat but I also would speculate that his presence would open up things for everyone else, particularly Daye whose .406 is the worst among the contributor's but would probably draw a weaker defender if Josh is in the lineup.

True. Josh is 2-7 in his first game for 20ish %. And Daye does need help till he adapts.

BobZag
12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Agreed. How does this year's team compare for FG attempts? I think we're missing 2nd chance points more than 3-4% in our shooting. We haven't had a consistent inside presence for putbacks and offensive boards without josh.

2003-04 went 29-3 in regular season and is a good barometer--

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/archive_pdf/04-cumulative-stats.pdf

2000-01 also has top stats but Few didn't stress rebounding yet (pre-MSU game)--

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/archives/cumulative-stats00-01.pdf

gonza
12-27-2007, 07:26 PM
I think the pace of the offense has to speed up, from the initial passes to swinging the ball around it all looks slow and almost telegraphed. Maybe it's because there are many players learning the offense and where they need to go, but i think the pace has to quicken.

Zagnailler
12-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Boards are the key. In our losses we have been outboarded, and have been unable to recoup. Go get it Zags.

thebigsmoove
12-27-2007, 07:43 PM

I've said it before and im going to say it again, Josh Heytvelt is the key to everything Gonzaga can do this year. Without him we are a 1 and done tourney team like last year(Plus/minus Daye/Raivio). If he is on the court he opens up everything, Bouldin, Pargo, Downs, even Pendo get a heck of a lot more good looks at the basket. More good looks equals more made shots. So not only does this team improve because of his presence, but it takes a lot of attention off of our weak backcourt depth and puts it on our much stronger frontcourt. We're talking another 5-7 points a game at least. Games like Texas Tech, Western KY, Oklahoma, Wazzu, would not even been as close because we would have had a much more fluid offense. Im telling you, when he is healthy, this team is as good as the top 5-7 in the country. And im sitting over here in Louisville KY, watching teams like UL, UK, IU, UT, memphis, ect.

roxdoc
12-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Lower Field goal %:

Ineffectual offensive sets (for a variety of reasons) = Few good looks

Poor on offensive boards = Few high % put back shots

Poor inside game - Few high % shots

When he gets healthy, Josh will help some both as a scorer/rebounder and as a decoy taking pressure off wings. Perhaps picking a rotation and sticking with it will help the flow.

Although the Zags have traditionally seldom improved as the season moves on, this year could be an exception because of injuries and a make-do offense. I sure hope so.

Nevtelen
12-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Interesting that Few said in the Meehan piece that the team is just now putting things together that they usually do in early Nov because of the whole injuries situation. I really think that given health and time, this team has the chance to be stellar offensive team. I don't think we'll see much of that potential until WCC play - everyone isn't healthy/on the same page yet and the next big chunk of practice time is after Georgia, before WCC play starts.

So IF (and it seems to be a lot bigger if than it was at the beginning of the season) everyone is healthy and working together as a team

and IF things stay that way and there can be meaningful practice time as a unit

I think the Zags will begin to perform like many thought they could at the beginning of the season (a la Top 10/Top 15).

Josh (seeing our lack of an inside scoring presence/serious rebounging threat) is a huge key as well, I think, confidence on the offensive end, which this team inexplicably just doesn't always have for some reason. No injuries and practice time as a team can fix both these things.

MickMick
12-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Zags look very different from previous years. They used to push the ball up court quickly. They used to get a lot of transition points.

Rebounding is so very important for the half court game. But transition points usually end up in the high percentage layups or dunks. No offensive put backs needed. These are the points that the Zags are sorely missing as compared to years past.

What is the quickest starting five that the Zags could put on the floor? Pargo has a great first step. LG and Micah are not really slow, but cannot be considered blazers either. The current team makeup is such that they can't run (or refuse to run?). Not that last year's team was incredibly fast, but they pushed, pushed, pushed the ball upcourt. Relentless. This season, we sacrificed speed for length (Daye, Sacre, Bouldin) and have yet to find the tempo for the offense with the right mix of players. Further, if you are going to go big, the payoff has to be in rebounds and blocks. The current team makeup is such that we have to win the offensive rebound margin. Simply a must.

Ravio was quick and could dribble through a mine field. He always pushed the ball quickly. He forced us to be a running team. Oh yea, he could score too. Yes.....we miss him that much.

jpwils
12-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Totally agree with Roxdoc.

Heytvelt even at 80% translates into some offensive rebounds, a few more solid second chance shots, a few more free throws per game, a couple
changes of opponents shots, a few more solid screens for someone like Downs, Daye being more open for a few more high percentage shots,etc.

Heytvelt is at least a "plus seven" for us regarding final score.

Go Josh!

Reborn
12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
The answer is simple....TIME. That's all that's needed. We have not had the time to be as cohesive as we will be in another month. Building chemistry (the roles) takes time. Two very good shooters are coming back after injuries. Once they get in shape and get the playing time that is needed, those % points will get higher. This will end up being a team that can score in the 80's.

Be patient my fellow Zags.

BobZag
12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
The answer is simple....TIME. That's all that's needed. We have not had the time to be as cohesive as we will be in another month. Building chemistry (the roles) takes time. Two very good shooters are coming back after injuries. Once they get in shape and get the playing time that is needed, those % points will get higher. This will end up being a team that can score in the 80's.

“We’re working on our third practice with everybody out there,” said Few, prior to Thursday’s workout at the McCarthey Athletic Center. “We’re very much a work in progress and trying to get them all used to playing with each other and really understanding their roles when this is the group on the floor or this is the group on the floor."

HOOTER
12-28-2007, 10:56 AM

True. The only problem is that the Zag's, unlike most other top D-1 teams, face their toughest opponents in the first half of the season. They don't have the luxury of getting cohesive and building chemistry against a bunch of cupcakes before playing a tough conference schedule. Most of the games that are going to get the attention of the selection committee come March have already been played before the new year. Let's hope they can get it together sooner rather than later.

JAGzag
12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
True. The only problem is that the Zag's, unlike most other top D-1 teams, face their toughest opponents in the first half of the season. They don't have the luxury of getting cohesive and building chemistry against a bunch of cupcakes before playing a tough conference schedule. Most of the games that are going to get the attention of the selection committee come March have already been played before the new year. Let's hope they can get it together sooner rather than later.

I disagree. While playing top competition will help in the long run, getting beat up in your conference play before March is not always productive. It's nice to go through these growing pains early, and allow the team time to gel and try things they would not normally have "time" to do in tougher games.

HOOTER
12-28-2007, 09:26 PM
I disagree. While playing top competition will help in the long run, getting beat up in your conference play before March is not always productive. It's nice to go through these growing pains early, and allow the team time to gel and try things they would not normally have "time" to do in tougher games.

Who said getting "beat up" in your conference was productive? I'm really not sure what your saying here. The "tougher games" occur in the first half of Gonzaga's schedule, with a couple of exceptions, considering the relatively weak conference schedule. If Gonzaga is going to get big time wins that will impress the selection committee, many of them are going to have to come in November and December. I am sure they will get a ton of wins in conference play, but they need a couple of marquee victories against top 25 teams to make an impression on those who's opinions count. The bottom line, if their going to gel, nows the time. A win against Tennessee would be huge. Wins against the likes of Portland and Loyola Marymount just doesn't help their cause that much.