• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TM27
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

How badly will Gonzaga beat Tennessee?

[QUOTE=BobZag;128608]I hate whiners. If I see a whiney post, I skip it. It's loser talk, imo.
    QUOTE]

This is not a walk in the park for Tennessee. GU has a legit shot in this game. How do you beat Tenn. and their full court press? Guard play! And what happens when you beat pressure? Other than the obvious (transition buckets)...it means that GU does not need to try and fumble through their half court offense which has been the downfall of this years team. GU is a different team when they are able to push it. If pargo (stays out of foul trouble) and makes good decisions in press break. Tennessee will not be able to press long...and much like GU on offense, Tennessee is a different team when they are forced into half court defense.

Lofton comes in with a ton of confidence against GU, our defensive and offensive answers for him will be the difference in this game.

I maintain that we have a better chance of beating Tennessee than we did Oklahoma. All of us old folks in attendence on Saturday must make it a point to GET LOUD!
    TM
  • 77Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

Better Karma

I like this thread better --
    Zags by 10 -- i see a game similar to Zags v Texas a year ago -- time for us to breakout and play as a group. Josh will be the turning point.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• HamiltonVol
      Redshirt
      • Dec 2007

High all, Tennessee guest here. Nice board.

Originally posted by TM27 View Post
      How do you beat Tenn. and their full court press? Guard play! And what happens when you beat pressure? Other than the obvious (transition buckets)...it means that GU does not need to try and fumble through their half court offense which has been the downfall of this years team.
      I think you might be surprised how little we actually sell out with full court pressure. Much of the time we don't really press full court; when we do, it's almost always high-intensity pressure on the inbounds pass and if you inbound it, we drop back; and the rest of the time it's one trap only, then back.

A LOT of the turnovers we force are gotten on inbounds plays (anywhere on the court, including under our own basket), and a lot are generated in half-court defense, too. We gamble kind of a lot. So you'll have to run your half-court offense a good bit, for whatever that's worth.

We will push the tempo, though, so you'll get to run if that's what you like.

In looking at your stats, it seems like you tend to play worse when teams challenge you on the glass. We won't do that, so that's bad for us.

On the other hand, it looks like you don't turn the ball over much, but in a couple of your losses you have turned the ball over at a pretty high clip. We'll definitely challenge you there.

As always, in a relatively early game between decent teams, it's hard to predict. It'll be fun to watch. Here's to an injury-free game!

Comment

• drnoe
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thanks for the post, Ham...good info. Welcome to the board. WooHoo will be along shortly to properly greet you.

Comment

• TM27
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HamiltonVol View Post
          High all, Tennessee guest here. Nice board.

A LOT of the turnovers we force are gotten on inbounds plays (anywhere on the court, including under our own basket)
          I have watched 3 Tenn games this year, and this is no joke! Pearl has it figured out.

As with Texas (although I would say the Tenn team is better now with Prince) but the decision making of their guards was the difference in the game (which is partly why they shot 60+%). Pargo, and our other ball handlers need to bring their A game or this will be over by halftime. If they play smart, I think that this will be a game to remember.

I agree, here is to a hard fought, injury free game. Good luck Vols!
          TM

Comment

• ZagMania
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

I don't think we should rely on just getting the ball to Pargo to beat the press. As mentioned Tennessee tries to get there turnovers on the inbounds and make you burn through those timeouts. Forcing the ball to Pargo is playing into their strategy IMO. I think it'd be best to use our big wings that can handle the ball well to throw the ball into them. At that point I think Tennessee will then back off and go back, but if they don't then either our wings can dribble it up or an easy handoff to Pargo once we actually get the ball inbounds. For me this would be a great way to use our wings to counter the Vols press.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

Bouldin's pulled calf won't be healed for another 3-4 weeks but he's tough and will play through it.

Ballhandlers = Pargo, Matt, Gray, Micah, Daye, Pendo, and Josh can (he did in high school quite often). I may have forgotten somebody.

The key: be alert at all times. Sometimes you become so used to the routine of inbounding that you "fall asleep" and that's when another player will swoop in. Be alert. Be prepared.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

GU 83
                Tennessee 81

This will be a great game. I really like the Vols and Coach Pearl. They are one of my favorite teams outside the West Coast. They play with passion.

Here's my wish list:

1. That the Zags somehow find the passion and fire inside themselves that has been so lacking this year. We haven't even looked like Zags. Our leadership HAS NOT BEEN GOOD. And I am very surprised by that so far.

2. That Josh completely forgets about his past for 2 hours and just goes out and plays like the Josh Heytvelt we all know.

3. That somehow Downs finds himself. He has not been playing up to his potential, and THAT is disappointing.

4. Ditto for Matt Bouldin.

5. For Pargo to assert himself early in the game. The Zags tend to get off to a slow start, and Pargo is the best one on one player. If he asserts himself by penetrating maybe we can get their guards into foul trouble. That would be a plus for us.

6. I think we attack Williams, and get him into foul trouble.

7. For Gray to have a breakout game. If Bouldin does not have the speed to keep up with the quickness of the Vols, then I think Gray will play more.

8. I hope the Zags shoot 30 foul shots....we are at our best when we do.
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zag67
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

I also will hope that Bouldin, Gray, and Downs play up to their potential. But I do think that Bouldin and Downs have played well, but not consitent (but I think that might be said for the complete team). I also believe that Micah has played super D and has hit the boards better than most of the rest of the team. At far as his shooting, I think part of the "team" problem is that they are not getting the ball to the hot hand or not at the right time. Too much dribbling and going nowhere and at time the players are thinking too much (rather that just reacting). They are getting better (because they are still young) and I do see spots of brilliance.
                  Gonzaga - 79
                  Tennessee -76

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Matt won't be 100% for a while, he has a little damage to a ligament in the back of his calf. 3-4 weeks. He still might play well but he should be better when totally healed.

Gray came back at a good time.
                    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Zagdawg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Where you at Woohoo-- Missing your introduction to the Vol fan here----

Comment

• Zag79
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

zags back into the top 25 after a up and down paced win over the vols. pargo and micah lead the way.

Comment

• dim4sum
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2007

a tough loss

Historically, the Zags have not played well at Key Arena despite the overwhelming support of the crowd. Unless the Zag offense plays fearlessly (instead of playing not to lose) and unless there are crisp outlet passes to the wing on inbound plays, the Zags will lose. I see another close game with Tennessee winning 75-68. But if Daye starts instead of Kuso and Gray gets at least 20 minutes, than the Zags could win.

Comment

• zag67
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

BZ, thanks for the info on Matt and all of the rest of the players that you have kept us up to speed. If he is slowed, Gray will help A LOT. That way he can relieve Matt and Jeremy, so that they will be able to play at the tempo that Tennessee will use. If team can just give Jeremy about 2 or 3 more minutes, I think that he will be more effective near the end of the games. Then with Matt, it sounds like it will be the coaches watching and subing as they recognize things.

Thanks again.

Comment

• HamiltonVol
                              Redshirt
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by TM27 View Post
                              A LOT of the turnovers we force are gotten on inbounds plays (anywhere on the court, including under our own basket)
                              I have watched 3 Tenn games this year, and this is no joke! Pearl has it figured out.
                              At the end of the Xavier game, we outscored them 13-2. Afterwards, the reporters asked Xavier coach Sean Miller if he considered a timeout during that run. He said, "It's hard to call a timeout because then you have to inbound the ball again."

Comment

Working...
                              X