PDA

View Full Version : How badly will Tennessee beat Gonzaga?

BobZag
12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I'll say by 8 points. Something along the lines of--

Tenn - 88
Zaga - 80

The Vols really got on a roll and found their groove at Xavier last week. No roll or groove for the Zags.

kyle dixon
12-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I am feeling pretty good with this game. I am saying 73-70 Zags. Micah Downs will be the player of the game.

jazzdelmar
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM

Robzagnut
12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree. I watched the Tenn - Xavier game and Tenn looked really good, even with Lofton struggling. I bet he is licking his chops waiting for this game after what he did last year. Hopefully, he continues to struggle.

I've watched quite a few games this year and sadly GU just isn't on par with the Top 10 teams. Memphis, Tenn and UCLA just look heads above everyone else. In the past I've always felt that GU had a chance against one of these teams, but this year something is missing.

The only way GU has a shot is if Daye, Downs or Bouldin plays out of their minds and two of the three supplies 15+ points. GU then needs a solid turnover light performance by Pargo. Plus, Heytvelt and Gray need to shake off the rust NOW and supply 15-20 minutes with either or both supplying 10+ points.

That's a lot of 'ifs'.

gu03alum
12-27-2007, 10:09 AM
A lot of pessimism (maybe realism) on this thread. I'd like to think that we are going to win. Realistically, we will probably lose, but we will have a favorable crowd and Josh closer to full strength. I'm going to say Gonzaga by 6.

Zag365
12-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I've always thought Mike Greenfield's stats are a good read for a reality check on the objective data todate (doesn't factor in who's been injured, who's returning to line-up, who's got personal issues, who's on a streak, etc.)

His latest shows GU with 46% chance to win (and less than 1 pt. underdog) vs. Tenn. (calls it a "home" game so may be off if comparing to K2 performances) Also, shows that we are definite underdogs to SMC away and slight favorites at home. All looks realistic based on what we've seen to date.

http://teamrankings.com/ncb/gnzpower.php3

bayzag09
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
What's the over under for the game right now? I can't seem to find it

MickMick
Previous Zag teams would run with these guys, but the Zags don't like to run anymore. So the Vols will score much more in transition. I don't think the Zags can keep up with them. Their big guy Williams isn't as good as OU's Blake Griffin or Longar Longar, but will still likely handle us on the offensive glass in our attempt to play half court offense. And finally the same old question...who is going to score for us?

It doesn't look pretty for me.

SteelCityZag
I like the matchups and I think our D will keep things close.

Figure in the crowd and I'll say the Zags by 6.

Ziggy
12-27-2007, 10:31 AM
KenPom gives us a 64% chance of winning, predicting a 78-74 victory! Statistics don't lie! I'll go with that. Go Zags, prove him right!:D

83topper
12-27-2007, 10:36 AM
we have played you both,I think you guys win
zags 71
vols 66 p.s. just need to keep williams from killing you inside,he was the difference in our game,I think you have the size to keep him in check.

drnoe
12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
A lot depends on which TN team shows up. They have won all the games they were supposed to win, and got blown out by Texas. I've seen them play Texas, WVU, WKU and Xavier. Against WVU and WKU, they appeared to be vulnerable. They played pretty well against Xavier, but I believe Xavier is overhyped. The BIS is going to be a very interesting game. I honestly can't predict the outcome...I gave up soothsaying and mind reading 2 years ago. A strong defensive outing and improved rebounding should spell victory for the Zags. As one poster remarked a few days ago, the BIS could be the catalyst game for the Zags. I'm hoping for the best.

jpwils
12-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I would rate it a toss-up.

Depends how many and how accurately we shoot free throws.

Downs must get in a groove the way he did last year.

Heytvelt must continue to show progress.

Pargo needs to chill out and cut out turnovers.

When we do those three above we could beat any team.

I'm guessing this team will surprise.

pbriz
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
A couple things to be considered:

1. This Zags team has a ton of heart so it won't be a blowout. They simply won't give up so even IF we do lose, it won't be by alot.

2. I think this team is just as sick of losing close games as we are. I don't think they will let this one slip away.

3. Tennessee's last game was a battle with Xavier. If they had lost, I would be alot more scared. Also, first game after winter break. Might see a letdown on Tennessee's end.

4. Bouldin's ankle, Kusos ankle, Heytvelts ankle, Pargo's knee, Stevens wrist should all be a ton better. I think our guys can actually come out and play closer to 100 percent.

5. The team knows they need this one, the fans know, Few knows, this board knows, EVERYONE knows this is a huge game for us and I see us taking it.

Have a little faith, Reborn I expect you to back me on this ;)

john montana
12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I think it will be tough. TENN just keeps coming at you, constant tempo and pressure. I don't know if we have enough offense yet to match them, so I actually agree with Bobzag (2 x in one day! This and the Tinsley call!)...vols by 8-10.

75Zag
12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I am hoping for a GU win. But if Tenn gets rolling or if GU loses its offensive composure, I predict a final spread of greater than the 8 - 10 points mentioned above. I am waiting for the Vegas odds to be posted, but if the Bulldogs get flustered on ball handling and turnovers, I can imagine a 14 - 16 final spread in favor of Tenn. If I were doing Vegas odds, I would open at something around Tenn. @ -7.5.

Good Luck Gonzaga!

Psychozag
12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I would take Gonzaga plus twenty against any team in the country. I don't know if we will win, but it won't be a blow out.

roxdoc
12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
"If our offense looses its composure"..........They have composure???????????

Only way we win is if we HAVE some sort of offense. Defense and rat ball won't cut it.

gonza
12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I had a dream ........ Tenn - 63, Zags - 47

ZagMania
12-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Tennessee takes a lot of quick shots, so if our defense brings it I think Tennessee will struggle with their shooting. This will lead to transition buckets where we are best. I think the interesting matchup will be Downs/Daye on Prince. Prince is also very long, skinny, and skilled so it will be interesting how our wings compare.

I'm going Zags win, 76-68.

zag67
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Gonza, I would not call that a dream, I would call it a nightmare.

I think that Josh will play about 20 - 25 minutes and Steven will play about 15 - 20. That will give us extra time to play against their uptempo. I think that Josh, Kuzo and Sacre will hold their own inside and that either Gray, Micah, Pendo, or Daye will get hot from the outside. LG will play some super D and Jeremy will hopefully cause some positive caos and get the ball to the hot hand (and that might be him at times).

Tennessee will get too many fast breaks. They will hit too many 3s. But in the end, we will end up winning by 4.

Bulldog
12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately a change in plans has derailed my being present at the big game against Tennessee. I think this will be Josh's breakout game and everyone else will be healthy and the Zag's will regain their position in the top 25. Thank goodness it will be on the big screen, but would have loved to have been at the Key.
Just as a side, how can the Coug's be ranked #4 in the country when they have only played one team that has a chance at going to the dance in March? I think they have a good team, but they haven't played anyone that is even near close to a playoff team. North Carolina A & T is a "community college" which will give the cougs a 13-0 start. Along with all the other Division II teams they beat, I guess if you are blind they deserve to be the
4th best team in the country. God help them when they have to start Pac-10 play.

ZagAddict
12-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow... Tennessee may have looked good against Xavier, but let's not forget that previously Xavier was pasted by 18 points against Arizona State. I'm not convinced that ASU is a NCAA tournament team, and they made Xavier look really bad. Let's keep Tennessee's win in perspective.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but GU's defense is going to be the difference maker against Tennessee. This game reminds me of the GU v. WSU game last year when a good offensive GU team ran into a tough defensive-minded team in WSU. This time around GU has the tough defense that has the ability to frustrate Tennessee... they just need to keep it up for 2 halves (unlike against Oklahoma).

GU - 71 Tenn. - 68 ... Downs hits a late 3pt shot to win the game and provide momentum that we will look back upon as the turning point in the season.

HamiltonVol
12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
We're a tough team to cover.

JP Prince is a 6-8 former PG playing the SF position. He's very long and very quick, and silky smooth. He was pretty much the difference in the Xavier game, with 23 points on 9-14 shooting, in only his 2nd game in a Tennessee uniform. A 6-8 guard/wing is a tough cover in any circumstance, and Prince is the real deal.

Then we have Tyler Smith, a 6-7 PF who played SF last year (for Iowa). So that's another guy who can go inside (2nd on the team in rebounds) or out (leading the team in assists), and therefore another tough cover.

Then there's Chris Lofton, our all-American. Last year, he drew the opponent's best defender every game. This year, it probably depends, given his shooting slump and the emergence of JP Prince. Eventually some teams are going to choose to focus on Prince, IMO, and make Lofton beat them. I don't know what you guys will do.

If Lofton finally gets hot (there's no particular reason that should happen now, but I'm betting it'll happen before the season is over), this game could go our way in a hurry.

Our defense has been disappointing this year. We're forcing more turnovers per possession than ever--but otherwise we aren't getting nearly as many stops as we want. Still, we showed some real grit at the end of the Xavier game.

I really believe that we have the better talent this year--but we haven't played up to it yet. We're 10-1, and yet the fans, players, and coaches all know we aren't playing great basketball. Our sophomores contributed so strongly to our success last year as freshman, and they seem to have regressed this year. Lofton can't seem to find the rim, much less the net. Our rebounding is just awful.

But our defense is still scrappy, unrelenting, disruptive, and downright irritating to play against. I (homerishly) predict the turnovers frustrate the Zags, and you can't cover both Lofton and Prince. TN by 7. :)

zag39
12-28-2007, 05:12 AM
i do wish we will win ,

but

up to coach Few 's decision.

Zagpower
12-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Zags win! Historically, we are a great underdog and this time will be no different.