• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoptedzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Jesse

Eddie Sutton will come out of retirement to coach San Francisco for the remainder of the season in an attempt to win his 800th game.
  • 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Nice Catch

Thanks for the post. SF is in a terrible spot. Nobody gives a damn about the team in SF except for a very few dedicated students and alumni. If I lived in SF and had all the opportunities I probably would not care either. No fans, no budget, no success, no players and now no coach. Not exactly a recruiting heaven. They should try to pick off a promising but young assistant from GU or Santa Clara instead of bringing in somebody from the Pac 10 or whatever.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• Akzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

ESPN reports - Jessie Evans to resign.

Eddie Sutton will come out of retirement to coach San Francisco for the remainder of the season in an attempt to win his 800th game.
      So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• Akzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Nice catch, adopted ... I also posted in the main forum.

Good luck to the Dons. I would imagine the interim coach would have to be within the program already.

Comment

• 75Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

As I said

At the risk of repeating myself from the WCC forum, ...

SF is in a terrible spot. Nobody gives a damn about the team in SF except for a very few dedicated students and alumni. If I lived in SF and had all the opportunities I probably would not care either. No fans, no budget, no success, no players and now no coach. Not exactly a recruiting heaven. They should try to pick off a promising but young assistant from GU or Santa Clara instead of bringing in somebody from the Pac 10 or whatever.
          Do not go gentle into that good night,
          Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
          Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• 77Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2007

Eddie Sutton is the going to be the new interim coach -- wow! USF has had a long and brilliant history for college hoops, but they have spiraled downhill, maybe Lombard Street, since the Quintin Dailey scandal.
            “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• Akzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Wow! Didn't see the Sutton Angle coming ...

From Parrish ...

Jessie Evans is out at San Francisco and the school is set to replace him with a legend. Sources with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com on Wednesday afternoon that Eddie Sutton will come out of retirement and take over the USF program on an interim basis in an attempt to earn his 800th career victory.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Steve Lavin?

How much does he miss coaching?
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• 77Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Aug 2007

Fast Eddie Sutton -- go figure this one.
                  “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• GaelBaller

It's really too bad, USF was at a crossroad this season. With the cooperation of the admission staff, athletic department and Evans- they could have at a great team with the addition of J Wat, McKines, Vince Polakovic and Hardy. Instead, school denied admissions to McKines/Hardy and J Wat/Polakovic had other eligibility problems.

At this point, I will be surprised if we don't see an exodus from USF.

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

From one of the regulars on the USF "fan" site:

Eddie Sutton? What? This is out of control, maybe it is time for another self imposed "death penalty" oops I mean sabbatical.

No way. this would make us a national laughing stock, would it not? All for forgiveness, Jesuit way, be a Christian second chances etc. but the guy retired after getting a DUI where he was 3 times above the limit. Oh, and he coached at Kentucky in the 1980's, I'm sure what he learned there is really transferrable to USF.

This has got to be a rumor, it has to be. If they hire Eddie Sutton as interim coach... this is a joke right? Very funny fox sports, that is a good one. Eddie Sutton, San Francisco. Right.
                      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Sutton knows the Jesuit way of doing things. He's been sober upwards of 2 years now. He knows how to win and make the kids work. I always thought his forays to Kentucky and Ok St tainted him. This just might be a brilliant move. He'll get his last few victories at USF........which is good for USF, Eddie and the WCC. Never a bad move when positives result all the way around. Keep him sober and he'll do a great job. Apart from the pub, he's a good man. At Creighton, he treated those kids like sons. I like the move. Above all though, he knows how to coach. The phrase "Principles before personalites" comes to mind. If he keeps his recovery principles intact, he and USF will be fine.

Comment

Jesse

What was Hogan and Co. thinking when they hired him in the first place? Couldn't they see this coming? Everyone else could.

Comment

• adoptedzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hondo46 View Post
                            What was Hogan and Co. thinking when they hired him in the first place? Couldn't they see this coming? Everyone else could.
                            ??

Comment

• MBZags
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

He's referring to the resignation of San Francisco's head coach, Jesse Evans.

Comment

Working...
                              X