PDA

View Full Version : Raivio article in Columbian

pdxzagfan
02-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Ran across this nice article in today's Columbian paper...

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/02252007news108494.cfm

tyra
02-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks PDX. This is why I read the Board every day . . . to enjoy contributions like this one.

Nevtelen
02-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Really nice article! "The Instigator", huh? I never would have thought. Cool.

RenoZag
02-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Ditto. . .great way to start a Sunday morning

Zag509
02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Great article!! I really hope we dont forget about Derek after he is gone just because he wasnt an All-American or the "star" that others were. I agree with Derek, he can hold his own with any of them.

Derek Raivio-One hell of a Zag.

gamagin
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Announcement Tues. Monday he hits scoring ave., drops his f.t.'s to take over/challenge first in nation from the charity stripe, POY Tues.

soonerterp
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
To know Raivio is to know a completely different person than what's perceived by outsiders. Those who only see Raivio during Gonzaga games may think the senior guard is quiet, even aloof. He's often serious, and rarely smiles.

It's camoflouge.

Meet The Instigator, Raivio's nickname among teammates.

Raivio proudly tells of a time when, just before the 2 a.m. curfew for women to leave the men's dorm, he and former Bulldog Adam Morrison moved three vending machines down a hallway to block a door and keep a couple of females from leaving. Raivio has often been involved in "pennying" doors, which keeps them from opening.

"It's great when one of your buddies has class at 8 in the morning and can't get out," Raivio said.

Isn't it always those low-key, quiet dudes you need to watch?

Nice read, thanks for linking it.

So much is made about his um, "youthful" appearance ... I always enjoy it when the least intimidating looking guy on the court is the one who winds up doing a significant amount of damage to the other team.

I mentioned this on the old GU board before it was closed: Raivio is one of the nominees for the Senior CLASS Award (http://www.seniorclassaward.com). I don't know when they whittle down the absolute finalists ... hope Raivio is one of them. Fan voting should open up, per the website, in March, and the award is announced during the Final Four. Previous winners have included Wayne Simien and Juan Dixon.

zagirl2k
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Isn't it always those low-key, quiet dudes you need to watch?

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the article. It's those quiet, sly ones who sneak up on you and tend to cause the most trouble. :)