PDA

View Full Version : Is Next year the make or break year ???

englishzag
12-24-2007, 09:00 AM
I do of course realise that no year in college hoops is a make or break year, but after reading a few of the most recent posts it is interesting to wonder how long it will be until Gonzaga starts to lose is luster in the national eye. If things go well (in my eyes anyway) and everyone stays you are looking at perhaps the best WCC team since Bill Russel's USF teams. I mean potentially there would be 4 first round caliber players in our starting line up with Josh, Austin, Pargo and Sacre. We would have a fantastic balance of underclassmen and Seniors. We would be a top 5 preseason pick (I know this means nothing). Every recruit in the land would be watching us.

I believe that this years team could go far, but next years could be the perfect storm just like Florida and UNLV in the past where you knew it was coming but no one could do anything about it (yes I know UNLV lost during the players senior sason).

It is christmas and all I want is for everyone to stay another year.

Merry Christmas to all readers especially the ones like myself who are working today.

BobZag
12-24-2007, 09:17 AM
I believe the Zags will "make it" this season and will "make it" next season. Few has done well with one-third of his top six players out with injuries. With a full deck now, the team should trend upwards.

Reborn
12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Nice thread englishzag. And Merry Christmas to you and all Zags, especially those who are members of GUBoard. MERRY CHRISTMAS.......

I feel the same way about next year. And I think Josh, Pargo, Daye and Gray will all be back with Bouldin, Downs, Sacre, LG and Will Foster. These are 9 pretty quality players. We've had a good recruiting class so the Zags should be a little better next year than this year.....on paper.

I also agree with Bob, that this year's team could go pretty deep into the NCAA tournament. I think we have 2 pretty good Seniors on this years team...and Pendo is a special Zag. We have two-thirds of the season left, and that's plenty of time to get things going. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, and I really doubt that the Zags are either.

I think the Zags hate losing as badly as anyone else, and maybe more. Our losses will make this team better. I really believe that. The Zags have NOT been playing good basketball. I think that's a FACT. And hopefully the losses will wake them up, and get them to face the fact that they need to change. They're not playing like a team. Five individuals playing independently of the team. Gonzaga's philosophy is TEAM, and Team only. We have the talent. It will be up to Mark Few and the coaching staff to DEMAND that the Zags play as a team. And if individuals chose to NOT CHANGE then they (the coaches) need to sit them on the bench until they decide to play as a team.

VinnyZag
12-24-2007, 10:37 AM
There's no guarantee Heytvelt will be back next year, although I suppose his extended injury absence makes that a little more likely. And if he's gone, plus with Davis' transfer and the graduation of Kuso and Pendo, that would leave GU a little thin inside. Plus, as I believe we've observed in recent years, injuries could screw the whole thing up.
I find myself musing on these same things all the time, and I have to stop to remind myself: We've still got a whole season to play THIS year. And this year could be pretty spectacular, too.

bayzag09
12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
With Josh, Austin, and Jeremy looking like NBA players in the 2009 draft, according to Nbadraft.net(a site not bad at predicting picks), I would have to say 2008 has to be a make it year. If we can't do something with that sort of talent then what exactly would we be waiting for? That said, theres no reason this years team can't do some damage come march either.

Ezag
12-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I would still like to concentrate on this year now that the squad is healthy and back. There is tons of work to be done almost like a preseason team at this point.