PDA

View Full Version : The Name Gonzaga

AFZag
12-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Need a little schooling on where the name gonzaga comes from.

GU69
12-22-2007, 08:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloysius_Gonzaga

Jesuit institutions tend to use these names:
St. Ignatius of Loyola
St. Francis Xavier
St. Aloysius Gonzaga
St. Robert Bellarmine

Dogtownkid
12-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Gonzaga is named after St. Aloysius Gonzaga, who came from a noble Italian family. His father wanted him to have a military career, but he decided at a young age that he wanted to be in the religious life. Although his father at first refused permission for him to join the Jesuits, after repeated appeals, he finally gave permission.

When a plague struck the city of Rome in 1587, he served in a hospital operated by the Jesuits. He caught the plague while ministering to its victims and died in 1591. He was 23. He is the protector of young students and patron of Catholic youth.

zag4ever
12-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Gonzaga is named after St. Aloysius Gonzaga, who came from a noble Italian family. His father wanted him to have a military career, but he decided at a young age that he wanted to be in the religious life. Although his father at first refused permission for him to join the Jesuits, after repeated appeals, he finally gave permission.

When a plague struck the city of Rome in 1587, he served in a hospital operated by the Jesuits. He caught the plague while ministering to its victims and died in 1691. He was 23. He is the protector of young students and patron of Catholic youth.

Did THAT plague actually last a hundred plus years?

BoltZag
12-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Need a little schooling on where the name gonzaga comes from.
Hmm...did you try the Internet? If you can find your way to this forum, I'm SURE you can manage a Google search.

or

Wikipedia
Yahoo
Ask.com
gonzaga.edu
the list goes on and on

GoZags
12-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Watch the youtube clip that has been linked earlier today. A man very dear to many of us, the Late Father Tony Lehman gives an explanation of the name Gonzaga -- and the spirit that is Gonzaga. It's at about the 4:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2wDLBSMmXQ

The title of the youtube post included the words "gets me every time" I wasn't expecting to see Father Tony in the clip. What a warm feeling -- to hear his voice -- to see his smile. That was a pretty good Christmas present for me.

Ezag
12-23-2007, 07:52 PM
...I was told the way WE pronounce it is actually wrong...the way everyone else pronounces it wrong is actually the correct way (in Italian I suspect). :D

MDABE80
12-23-2007, 09:44 PM
So good to see Fr Tony again when he was in good health. Such an amazingly well spoken ambassador for the school and the program.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I was recently in Rome, more specifically, the Vatican and was elated to find on St Peters Basilica, a stained glass image of St. Aloysius. what a lovely sight it was.

ZagsGoZags
12-24-2007, 02:37 AM
The Great Plague killed 30-35% of Europeans in 1347-51, after had it done the same thing to the Far East and then Near East. Many of those who did not die in those 5 years still had a susceptibility, but escaped it largely due to location or timing. The Plague continued to swing around here and there in Europe, 'mopping up' those whose ancestors had avoided it earlier, and would often wipe out 5-10% of a city in these return episodes. Probably half the population had a diathesis for the plague and didn't get sick no matter how frequently they were exposed. The last great outburst, I think was London, in 1667 or a similar time frame.