PDA

View Full Version : Refs won the game for Gonzaga?

Bing
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I was over on the USF forum and read where many are blaming the refs for their loss. The call in question was the one that sent Bouldin to the free throw line to tie or win the game towards the end of regulation. He missed the 2nd one and that led to USF's chance to win the game in the last 6 seconds.

The way I saw that play was if the ref didn't call a foul, Bouldin would have won the game in regulation as despite the push/over the back Bouldin got the offensive rebound and was in position to make the game winning lay-up when the foul was called.

ruwong
02-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I sat behind the USF bench. The USF alumni were giving Libby an ear-full all game long. Every call that favored the Zags were followed by fans yelling at Libby. I think Libby got a cop to talk to one of the fans.

Refs were pretty bad, but I think the Dons lost the game in the end of regulation with their offensive woes. Their bigs really looked clueless out there and theire guards were jacking up some terrible shots.

zagster318
02-24-2007, 11:37 PM
I was over on the USF forum and read where many are blaming the refs for their loss. The call in question was the one that sent Bouldin to the free throw line to tie or win the game towards the end of regulation. He missed the 2nd one and that led to USF's chance to win the game in the last 6 seconds.

The way I saw that play was if the ref didn't call a foul, Bouldin would have won the game in regulation as despite the push/over the back Bouldin got the offensive rebound and was in position to make the game winning lay-up when the foul was called.

USF has a forum? What's the link?

lothar98zag
02-24-2007, 11:48 PM
USF has a forum? What's the link?
Post w/ link to all other WCC fan boards (http://216.229.189.28/showthread.php?t=166)

zagster318
02-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Post w/ link to all other WCC fan boards (http://216.229.189.28/showthread.php?t=166)

Thanks lothar.

Kiddwell
02-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Yes, thanks.

:]

scrooner
02-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Oh gawd, that place is a nightmare. I'm glad we have a real board.

sittingon50
02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Now I remember why I haven't been over to the USF site for awhile. That format is an absolute nightmare!!

IrishBulldog
02-25-2007, 02:07 AM
:D

batistafan
02-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Yeah, those Spokane refs did it to them again.

I'm also curious about a poster named "DON-in-spokane," fka bulldogshawn...

What gives? Going over to the dark side?

SunDevilGolfZag
02-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Bouldin was clearly fouled at the end of regulation. The goaltending call in O.T. was questionable, but the calls even out over the course of a game, which was true for this game, IMO

beatProgram
02-25-2007, 09:00 AM
The number of times the GU guys were getting totally mugged in the last 5 minutes of regulation with, or without, the ball and not a blown whistle heard in the furthest reaches of Spokane has me questioning the Dons' fans.

Bouldin and Pendo could have filed assault charges for the number of times they got intentionally slapped about the head.

:rolleyes:

freezer12
02-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, those Spokane refs did it to them again.

I'm also curious about a poster named "DON-in-spokane," fka bulldogshawn...

What gives? Going over to the dark side?

He's made good friends with the head Los Locos. He also went to 2 Dons' games during last weekend.

ZagSlug
02-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I just remember every call at the beginning of the game going against GU and thinking, "At least they won't be able to blame this one on the refs."

Things tend to balance out when teams go to the other basket, the one official who makes all the calls keeps making them but with a different team to whistle.

xStartTodayx
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Did I just loose the ability to read/comprehend the English language or are they really fighting about hot dogs over there?

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I can be a neutral party. Got beef with that? Not a chance in hell that was a goaltend, the ball we BELOW the rim. Bouldin wasn't touched, not even a little bit. I've watched the replay several times discussing the game with my friends at USF, and this is what I saw.

but you can ship me a red lightsaber if you'd like, those things are effing sweet!

beatProgram
02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I can be a neutral party. Got beef with that? Not a chance in hell that was a goaltend, the ball we BELOW the rim. Bouldin wasn't touched, not even a little bit. I've watched the replay several times discussing the game with my friends at USF, and this is what I saw.

but you can ship me a red lightsaber if you'd like, those things are effing sweet!

Are we talking about the end shot where Bouldin drove the baseline and the USF player stood with his hands straight up, then pressed in on Bouldin during the shot... creating contact, and then moved both his arms down over his left shoulder to crowd Bouldin, and caught Bouldin on the left arm while doing it?

Anyone have the replay of that handy?

I'm not saying it happened just like that... only that I only saw the replay once, and that's how it looked when I did.

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Jessie Byrd and Bouldin both go up for the rebound, Bouldin tries to tip it in and Byrd tries to grab the ball. Foul called on Byrd, I have looked at it at LEAST 10 times (including 5 in the last 2 minutes) and can't find a foul. Oh, and the clock operator sucks, foul was called with 8.2 seconds, clock didn't stop until 6.3 was on the clock. Not sure how the refs didn't add more time...

beatProgram
02-25-2007, 02:04 PM
We're evidently talking about two different plays.

Agreed on the clock operator. I noticed continuously trough the game that 2-3 seconds were bled from the clock after many game stopping whistles. A couple times it stutter-stopped. Where they'd properly stopped the clock at the whistle and then it'd pop back on for a moment.

Nevtelen
02-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Too bad about the clock - more time would have given Raivio another buzzer-beater to end the game. :)

batistafan
02-25-2007, 02:07 PM
No problem with you being a neutral party - just seems like the USF finger pointing is rubbing off a bit. And yes, lightsabers are sweet.

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Beat, you have any idea of the time left on the Bouldin drive you're talking about? I'll try to go find it and let you know what I see

Birddog
02-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll try to go find it and let you know what I see
I hesitate to say this, but does anyone really care? The game is over.

Birddog

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Apparently people care, as the issue keeps coming up...

beatProgram
02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Beat, you have any idea of the time left on the Bouldin drive you're talking about? I'll try to go find it and let you know what I see

Honestly I don't remember. Too much excitement and swearing at the TV got it the way of committing the time to memory :)

wazZag
02-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I can recall many games with the same complaints coming from our side. It is always unfortunate when referees assist in determining the outcome of a game, but despite anything that went on in regulation USF still had a chance in OT.

beatProgram
02-25-2007, 03:30 PM
... but did they? Did they really have a chance? ;) :p

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 03:38 PM
No. We destroyed that OT, played REALLLLLY well. It was good to see.

wazZag
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
well, you get the picture, they had a chance for a few seconds anyway. :D

El Voce
02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
You know, Shawn, since you are now so busy gulping down the green Koolaid, it seems to me that you and your pal Loc Locos would be more concerned about the 30 foot threes your team is putting up, not to mention why the Dons gave GU a 3-on-1 break with 12 seconds left.

Losing team's fans always blame the refs. Always have, always will. The real problem always lies somewhere else. Anyway, you are always assured a sympathetic ear on DonsCentral. Enjoy it!

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
MY team was not putting up 30 foot threes. MY team won the game. MY team was ON the 3 on 1 break with 12 seconds left.

I'm not on the losing team here, my team won a good game against what has become my 2nd favorite team.

I have a lot of friends at USF, and enjoy the banter on their board. Yes, Los Locos is one of my good friends. No green koolaid doesn't taste better than the red stuff. Never has, never will.

I am a Zag for life, heaven forbid I have another team I like as well.

brasszag
02-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Since you're buddies with them maybe you'll know this one.

Has anyone ever mentioned how abysmally outdated, antiquated, actively user-unfriendly, and plain old, flat out, lay-down-and-die BAD their forum software is?

Seriously - it's like 1996 over there.

bulldogshawn
02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
They have a lot lower volume than what we have here, so their system works for them. I agree that it is very wierd though, I really like new posts bumping threads to the top. But hey, that's what works for them...