PDA

View Full Version : Not Worried

tenniszag
12-22-2007, 12:28 AM
I don't know about you guys, but a loss to Oklahoma at this time of year does not really worry me.

In the past few years, it seems that we have "peaked" in November and December (G. Tech and OK State in 04, Maui in 05, N.C. and Texas in 06), but this year I think is different. We are just starting to get our whole team healthy, and are about 2 weeks out of conference play.

I think that once the coaching staff gets the right rotation down, and the players know their roles, we are going to be a really deadly team. We have insane talent right now, compared to teams of past, and will start showing this talent once all the players get in sync with each other.

I am really happy with how this years team is progessing. But I also think that a split out of Tennessee and Memphis is a must, in case we don't win the WCC tourney this year. If we split with them, and don't lose more than 3 or 4 games in conference, I think we are a lock for the tourney, and the team should be coming together at the perfect time.

ZagNut08
12-22-2007, 12:42 AM
well said, it's tough to judge our team thus far. like BZ said in another thread, the team can finally all practice together. They will take time to gel.

I agree about splitting memphis/ten

We need to start building up a strong resume for the committee to look at. With the way St. Mary's is looking this year I don't want to have to rely on winning the wcc tourney to dance

right now we have some solid wins, but not great wins.

TT is a bad loss imo

oklahoma and wsu are "good" losses

tenn and memphis would be "good" losses

uconn/st joes are solid wins wku possibly. but right now we don't have any great wins.

BobZag
12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
It just goes to show what a funny sport basketball is. 9-3 is okay by me but I thought Gonzaga was going to beat TTU, WSU and OU. I figured the fellas may lose to Butler, St. Joe's and/or UConn.

Zags do need marquee W's. I'm watching Memphis-GTown and, whew, I don't know... Memphis is ridiculously athletic and good. But then I remember how GU took the Tigers to the limit last year, and played them tough the year before, so I know by late-January our guys will be ready for 'em again.

I think there's a chance for Gonzaga to head into the NCAA's 29-3. I also think GU could be 27-5.

When you think about it, that's pretty darn good, with 2008-09 looking even more promising.

Just win, baby. :)

MDABE80
12-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Wash St. Texas Tech, Oklahoma......and I'm thinking Tenn, Memphis and 1 loss in the WCC ( St Marys).
Lots of erratic play in large part due to injuries and difficulty in settling on a core of players. This will either be a hugely successful season or remembered as the season that "might have been". This team still looks fragile and unsettled. Since we've lost 3 we should have won, I hope we win some we're supposed to lose. We sure could use a few marquee wins to restore some confidence in our guys.
I'm also looking in on the Memphis-Georgetown game. Right now, I don't think we belong on the same floor with Memphis.
This year's been a slog so far. Let's hope Few figures out who plays and who doesn't so we can move on with the best team. All this talent, speed and just plain bad luck. Few's been uncharactistically positive with this group. I hope he knows something many can't see right now. My guess is that the Zags will be defined by the the next 3 games and after the first go round in the WCC. We need a winning rhythm.......I hope Few finds one. Soon.

ON the brighter side though, this team hasn't been run off the court by anyone even though our guys have been undermanned the whole season. This team has frightening potential. Still, even with 5 or 6 losses, this team still has the talent to go far. Just a bit more time, finding the best 8 guys and turn em loose. It's not early in the season by number of games played but it's still early considering we've just added 2 kids back that could make this season one to remember. Maybe that's what Few knows.

BobZag
12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Points taken, though I didn't think Gonzaga stood a prayer vs Memphis last year on the heels of Josh's incident.

Tennessee is no Memphis, it's obvious on the tube right now. Remember, ASU just blasted Xavier.

If I'm Fewie, here's my 8-9 man rotation--

Pargo
Bouldin
Gray
LG

Downs
Pendo
Daye

Josh
Kuso/Sacre (split time or pull LG for one of these two)

tyra
12-22-2007, 07:41 PM
"Right now, I don't think we belong on the same floor with Memphis." -- Abe

Ain't that the truth? Memphis is impressive. Right now, we lack paint toughness (Josh should help a lot) and team chemistry (a chance for this to develop and gel now that everyone is back). We have the pieces. Time will tell if they can constitute a whole. I'm optimsitic.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-22-2007, 07:51 PM
going along with what tyra and BZ said, Memphis is a hell of a squad. They handled G-town with ease which is not a good sign for us. Hibbert has done nothing but grow and progress throughout his career, so we will need Josh to be there for us. If he still isnt fully healthy or ready to play, we might have some trouble.

mnzag24
12-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't know about you guys, but a loss to Oklahoma at this time of year does not really worry me.

i agree, i was mad after but a few cold ones helped ease the pain and make me realize that it wasn't as bad as it felt

Reborn
12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Georgetown is a great team, believe me. They looked kind of bad against Memphis. What this says to me is sometimes a great team looks bad. Are you going to now say that Georgetown is a lousey team? Xavier is no where near as good as Gonzaga believe me, and they could have won that game. I think they were even at the two minute mark. I expect the same next Saturday...that we will be even at the two minute mark.

I like your rotatioin Bob. MY son and I were discussing the possible rotations now that Josh and Steven are back. We came up with about the same as you did. Now it will just take time for this team new Zag team to gel. That's just the way it is. It's called growing pains. Losing is painful, and ten times as painful for them as it is for us. But the pain will help them get better. I really believe that.