PDA

View Full Version : Matt B Question

Fonebone
02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok - He played a great game today. His ability to drive to the basket is amazing. Great rebounding. I agree with all that has been said.

But....there were any number of times that he was open for an outside shot and he passed it up. Not necessarily so wide open that no one was within 10 feet of him, but open nonetheless.

I don't recall that he took a single outside shot. Why ? Even assuming that they really needed him to drive and rebound, that doesn't mean that when he was open outside he shouldn't shoot. If he hits some outside shots, that just makes it easier for him to drive, and takes pressure off Derek.

I was wondering if he has some type of injury that is interfering with his shooting ability. Seems that there was mention of this recently. Or is he defering for some reason ?

Any info, thoughts or speculation ?

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
My thought is, go with what's working for you. Lately he has been scoring a lot of points in the paint. He is a good outside shooter but has been most inconsistent from the 3 point range. I also think the coaches want him driving and getting to the foul line. Have not heard of any injury. Matt B. MVP vs. the Dons.

RebornZag
02-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I did notice the same thing tonight, but I had a different reaction. I was glad to see him NOT shooting from the outside. For a number of reasons starting with he usually doesn't shoot very well from the outside on the road. In fact he usually doesn't score very well on the road. He is really developing some pretty kool moves going to the hoop. He had a move going today that I've never seen. Who all saw it? It was when he was driving. It was like he was taking a huge hop and then a step and laying it in? He was also passing magnificiently....My biggest complaint this year is that we haven't had enough guys taking it to the rim. Matt used to along the baseline, but then stopped as he opted for the outside shot. He had a shorter guy guarding him tonight, so why not make them pay for it by taking it to the hole. Do you know what I mean? Micah doesn't take it to the rim either, and I'd get on him about it if I was Few. He goes inside and always takes that jumper. A good shooter like him needs to get to the line too...............

tyra
02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Fair enough point Bro about Matt relieving pressure if he starts hitting from outside but it seems as though that role has been assumed by Micah. In the flex offense they are running so well, I think they are asking people to do what they do well and what Matt has been doing well is slashing, Jeremy has been penetrating, Drav has been Drav and Micah has emerged as a mulitple threat (inside, outside, etc). I gotta tell you, I find this team more fun to watch than what we saw earlier this year. And yes, Matt has had some injuries. What has been alluded to is a broken finger on his shooting hand and other problems I don't remember such as an ankle or back or shoulder.

Fonebone
02-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Tyra,

Good thoughts, considering that you are up pretty late tonight, and especially considering your age and general cranky disposition. I would be in the sack myself, but had to take a hot tub out in the snow after a movie tonight.

Also, good points Knight and Reborn. I would guess that you both are pretty close to the truth.

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I did notice the same thing tonight, but I had a different reaction. I was glad to see him NOT shooting from the outside. For a number of reasons starting with he usually doesn't shoot very well from the outside on the road. In fact he usually doesn't score very well on the road. He is really developing some pretty kool moves going to the hoop. He had a move going today that I've never seen. Who all saw it? It was when he was driving. It was like he was taking a huge hop and then a step and laying it in? He was also passing magnificiently....My biggest complaint this year is that we haven't had enough guys taking it to the rim. Matt used to along the baseline, but then stopped as he opted for the outside shot. He had a shorter guy guarding him tonight, so why not make them pay for it by taking it to the hole. Do you know what I mean? Micah doesn't take it to the rim either, and I'd get on him about it if I was Few. He goes inside and always takes that jumper. A good shooter like him needs to get to the line too...............
Downs has only been to the foul line 6 times. He has made 5. I agree he should look to get in the paint. Both Downs and Matt B are so athletic. Looking forward to those two playing a full season together next year..

sanfranzagsguy20
02-24-2007, 10:54 PM
i agree..those two with a mix of pargo and who knows...maybe a little josh...i know its early to speculate on josh's future and no one really knows what is going to happen to him but assuming he is able to work through his problems and remain in the gu family next year i couldnt help but think of this possible 2007-08 midseason lineup:

pg pargo
sg bouldin
f daye
c heytvelt
f downs

thoughts? i have one: whoa

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
i agree..those two with a mix of pargo and who knows...maybe a little josh...i know its early to speculate on josh's future and no one really knows what is going to happen to him but assuming he is able to work through his problems and remain in the gu family next year i couldnt help but think of this possible 2007-08 midseason lineup:

pg pargo
sg bouldin
f daye
c heytvelt
f downs

so much speculation on the team w/ or w/o josh. I think they are better with him. Hope to see that lineup. A bench of Pendo the great, a healthy L.G.- the big Canadian kid, Burgess, P- Mac, Theo, and the others, WHOA

sittingon50
02-25-2007, 12:07 AM
He did pass up some open 3's but I think it was because of the physical match-ups Saturday. Knew he could get to the rim. How many lay-ups did he get?

zags422
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
if heytvelt is let back on the team, Get your final 4 tickets now while they're cheaper.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-25-2007, 07:59 AM

pg pargo
sg bouldin
f daye
c heytvelt
f downs

Don't forget Ira Brown....I'd guess he'll see more minutes then Daye at least early in the season.

ZagDaddy
02-25-2007, 08:03 AM

My thoughts: Where's the beef?

2Zags3Pups
02-25-2007, 08:09 AM
I get really excited thinking about next years team but try to not jump the gun and skip past the excitement that this team right now is providing us. But man, can you imagine the talent level of the kids we're bringing in. It is just amazing to think of the different level of kids that we are starting to reel in compared to just a decade ago. And for the most part :), they still seem to be very high quality, character kids. Especially this group coming in next year. You hear about their talent, but in the same breath their coaches speak of their intensity, community awareness, and how they are good teammates. Gotta love it if GU can continue to get both the higher talent level and character kid.

BobZag
02-25-2007, 09:30 AM
If you get excited thinking about next year's team, just think about the team two years from now. :cool:

tyra
02-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Just in case you missed it earlier, we are going to the Final Four in two years. Only injuries could keep us out.

Nevtelen
02-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Or people leaving early for the NBA. Or another scandal. Or one or more of the coaches leaving. Or lack of chemistry. Or lots of things. But we have as good a shot at it as we've ever had, that's for sure.

RebornZag
02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Man. What a game by Matt yesterday. And to think he's just a Freshman. He really came through yesterday HUGE!!!...on the road where he usually struggles. Darn he was ray of light in a nation with a dark cloud hanging over it yesterday. But the one play that just keeps coming to my consciousness is that rebound after Pendo's missed layup at the end of regulation. First I almost fainted when Pendo missed the shot. And I see a lot of white shirts around the hoop, but there is one blue jersey amongst them and I see him going up for a crazy shot and suddenly there's a whistle. The replay shows 3 USF players fighting one mighty Zag for the ball, and Matt comes up with it, and draws the foul. I am now elevating Matt's status to GLADIATOR to stand along side of Kuso and Pendo. Great job to the newest and youngest gladiator, Matt.

What a team: The Gladiators and the Ninja's. The Ninja's are the acrobatic, high flying, fall away shooting, slam dunking maniacs led by Pargo, Drav, Micah, PMAC. That leaves only one, and he's the ONE AND ONLY Ninja Turtle, and it's none other then Sean Mallon.:) :D :)

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
:) :) Good Post. LOL> every team needs a turtle.

ZagAddict
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
...i couldnt help but think of this possible 2007-08 midseason lineup:

pg pargo
sg bouldin
f daye
c heytvelt
f downs

A contributing Heytvelt would be a welcome addition to next year's team, but only if he can function as a TEAM member. Too many times this year I saw Josh playing with a "me first attitude". That was apparent with his continued unwillingness to pass out of double and triple teams down low. I would rather pass on his talent if he can't be a positive teammate.

Daye is going to be a contributor to next year's team, but I see Ira Brown and hopefully a healthy LG getting more minutes in the lineup. I'd love to see the defensive pressure we could apply with Pargo, LG, and Bouldin in the backcourt. I'm hoping LG is our comeback player of the year next year.

The odd man out next year in my opinion is PMAC... just not enough minutes to go around.

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
A contributing Heytvelt would be a welcome addition to next year's team, but only if he can function as a TEAM member. Too many times this year I saw Josh playing with a "me first attitude". That was apparent with his continued unwillingness to pass out of double and triple teams down low. I would rather pass on his talent if he can't be a positive teammate.

Daye is going to be a contributor to next year's team, but I see Ira Brown and hopefully a healthy LG getting more minutes in the lineup. I'd love to see the defensive pressure we could apply with Pargo, LG, and Bouldin in the backcourt. I'm hoping LG is our comeback player of the year next year.

The odd man out next year in my opinion is PMAC... just not enough minutes to go around.

Agree about the Defensive pressure.with L.G. I can remember last year when L.G. and E. Knight would trap guys in the full court press. Man they were so tough together. L.G. is quick and long and has hops. Really look forward to seeing him again. The Zags will be a difficult team to play next season. Defensively they will create so many problems for teams.

Also I know what you mean about Josh, I too have seen moments when he is just about himself. Maybe this experience will humble him, he still has some growing up to do. Want to believe he will come around, if not I think next years squad will be really good w/o him but, he has so much potential. I guess we will wait and see. I wonder if he realizes what the future can potentially hold for him at G.U. or sometimes I think he believes the NBA is just waiting for him. I don't think he is ready for the NBA. I do think he can help this program get to the Final Four and Beyond.

Nevtelen
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't mean to pick on you specifically ZagAddict, but an awful lot of people have been recently harping on how Heytvelt was not a team player/killed our chemistry, they knew it all along, etc, etc. I didn't see that at all. I didn't see one post about it before the bust. He didn't always play the game he could have played when he was on the court (like at UVA) and, yes, he had some attitude (as lots of people on this board have applauded), but his mistakes were more on the order of trying to hit a home-run when a base-hit would have been sufficient (like not passing out of double-teams - I'm sure he felt that he could overcome the double, and so tried even though it'd have been a better idea to pass). People are just seeing the Zags claw for their lives like the wounded animal they are and assuming that Heytvelt was the problem. If the team had lost to Memphis with Heytvelt, they'd be playing much the same because they'd still have to win the tourney to get in. I just see Heytvelt becoming the scapegoat for the problems the team has had season and it annoys me. Sure, he caused some of them. But not everything is his fault.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
i think the game (in terms of our losses without him) josh would have made the biggest difference in was the memphis game because of his athleticism and basically because of how close it was...as for the santa clara game who know if he could have gone off we got down by so much its hard to see how big of a difference he could have made....but i agree with the above post its not a personal attack on anyone but a general agreement that all of the blame is being placed solely on heytvelt and thats not necessarily fair...but he deserves his share of the blame and at this point man i just would love to hear the news that he is coming back, working hard with a different outlook on life and ready to play at GU for at least another year...if he can do that i think we can assume he'll declare after his junior year with a solid 07-08 campaign...if he can put it all together for one season he just has too much talent to not be a first round pick in the 2008 nba draft...thats my opinion

ZagAddict
02-25-2007, 04:45 PM
People are just seeing the Zags claw for their lives like the wounded animal they are and assuming that Heytvelt was the problem...I just see Heytvelt becoming the scapegoat for the problems the team has had season and it annoys me. Sure, he caused some of them. But not everything is his fault.

My intension was not to personally attack Heytvelt or assume that he was the problem with the Zag's this season. I think there are a lot of contributing factors that all add to the frustration this year...

What I meant was that I would love to have Heytvelt back if he can be a positive influence to this Zag team. Locker-room chemistry is an important factor on a basketball team. If a team is going to have the kind of success that we all dream of (i.e. deep NCAA tournament runs), then everyone needs to be on the same page and focused on achieving goals.

Didn't mean to single out Heytvelt... my opinion goes for all Zag players.

Nevtelen
02-25-2007, 10:07 PM
And I certainly agree with that attitude. I didn't mean to single you out - I've just heard the "Josh killed our chemistry, now we're better off!" rants a lot lately. I totally agree about chemistry - it's the main quality that lets a mid-major battle with the big boys. That's what our program was built on.