PDA

View Full Version : We're 9-3!!

JAGzag
12-20-2007, 08:17 PM
This post is for all the "we lost therefore we suck" posts. We're a respectable 9-3 and we did it without one of the best big men in the country. With Josh in the lineup our team changes dramatically. We'll be fine, everyone take a step away from the pool and breathe!!

mendiant
12-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but I'm not seeing too many "lost therefore we suck" posts...

But then again, I'm pretty selective anymore, regarding which threads I even open..

I don't see this team dominating early in the season...we did beat uconn...we need to get some other good wins going into conference play.

(wow, that was genius bb commentary after 13 games...respect me now!)

I see this team as building...

building to the wcc tournament...

and exclaiming at the ncaa tournament...

one thing at a time however...

head in the game..set your goals...

by all means, don't think you all that because everybody wanted you...freshmen.

We have some HIGHLY sought after freshmen this year.

we need to help them become zags by introducing them to the "you ain't all that...the team is" club.

This is a different level of play.

that being said, dam, they are good, aren't they?

I miss Sacres' free fro...please robert, go all ronny on us again!

theothegreat21
12-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I understand that we are 9-3 and thats not a bad record, but I feel that we have lost 2 teams who are very inferior to us. Both Texas Tech and Oklahoma are teams we should beat with our talent level, and with proper execution we should beat both these teams by at least 10 points. While 9-3 is a good record, we should be at least 11-1 at this point based on the competition.

MickMick
12-20-2007, 09:21 PM
I understand that we are 9-3 and thats not a bad record, but I feel that we have lost 2 teams who are very inferior to us. Both Texas Tech and Oklahoma are teams we should beat with our talent level, and with proper execution we should beat both these teams by at least 10 points. While 9-3 is a good record, we should be at least 11-1 at this point based on the competition.

The talent level in Division One ball is so close that any team can lose at any time . Zags could have easily lost to WKU or UConn and their fans feel that way.

This isn't about the talent. The Zags are loaded with talent. Talent by itself wins in pick up games or the NBA all-star game. This is about the Zags playing together as a cohesive offensive unit. Until they can do that with regularity, we should not be surprised with any loss.

theothegreat21
12-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Im not saying that the teams we played aren't talented, but I think that with proper execution and defined roles, that we are much better then teams we have lost to. We have lost to teams with inferior talent, because they were more disciplined and executed better. I see no reason why we arent the team that is out executing and playing to our fullest abiliites

Zagaholic
12-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Im not saying that the teams we played aren't talented, but I think that with proper execution and defined roles, that we are much better then teams we have lost to. We have lost to teams with inferior talent, because they were more disciplined and executed better. I see no reason why we arent the team that is out executing and playing to our fullest abiliites

in one word: injuries

you can also add in the fact that this team is young

Spike94
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes 9-3 is ok, but with all due respect, we should be 11-1. I am saying that we need to improve. We are still lacking in consistancy on offence and seem to be lacking intensity on D. My expectations for us is at least into the second weekend in March. At this point we won't make it.

LongIslandZagFan
12-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Yes 9-3 is ok, but with all due respect, we should be 11-1. I am saying that we need to improve. We are still lacking in consistancy on offence and seem to be lacking intensity on D. My expectations for us is at least into the second weekend in March. At this point we won't make it.

IMHO... no... we shouldn't be 11-1. 10-2 perhaps, but I suspect that by the end of the season this loss will NOT be a bad loss.

In terms of lacking intensity on D... not sure how you came up with that after last night. We played good D but every dang shot was going in for the Sooners in the second half... but very few were uncontested.

Butler Guy
12-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Pomeroy (http://www.kenpom.com/rate.php) still has the Zags a 20, Sagarin (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0708.htm) at 30.

D Hark 2003
12-21-2007, 05:58 AM
obviously we need to improve because we lost.... but that will be easy.

Heytvelt played but looked out of shape and rusty. Bouldin played but was obviously not 100%. The team will easily improve as these two get healthy and Heytvelt practices more with the rest of the guys. With the current status of our team - being strong at guard and wings, and weak inside(because of Heytvelt not practicing much so far) illustrates that this was just a poor matchup for us. Longar Longar is a beast down low and a senior with a lot of strength, skill, and experience. In two months or so Heytvelt will be able to handle a guy like that down low, but sacre, kuso, and Daye are too inexperienced and under-sized to shut down a player like that. Oklahoma was just a bad matchup for us right now and we still almost won.... Come march it will be a different story.

TexasZagFan
12-21-2007, 06:27 AM

I was at the game last night, and Oklahoma deserved the win. They are a more experienced and physically stronger team than we are. They were plenty of empty seats, but the attendance was double that of the MAC. OU fans were pretty quiet until the last 8-10 minutes, and the team fed off the energy down the stretch.

Jeremy just ran out of gas, and it appeared as if the rest of the team was content to ride on his shoulders.

Our three freshman are obviously expected to contribute significantly, and the growing pains are evident. Gray has to take more than one shot, Daye will continue to have difficulties against more physical players, and Sacre is gaining experience against more athletic big man than he's been accustomed to.

These are the games that are good for GU, win or lose. When we get into WCC play, and the refs start calling ticky-tack fouls, we will have the depth to fight through it.

This is the first Zag team in recent memory that I expect to peak at the end of the year. The rotation will be weighted towards freshman and sophomores, supplemented with a heavy dose of Josh, Pendo, Micah, and Pargo. There will be games where we can go twelve deep, and just wear down the opponent.

If this team is able to shake the injury bug, it can be a Final Four team.

75Zag
12-21-2007, 07:23 AM
It was only one game, and a non-league game at that, athough it is going to be tough to explain to my 2 year old grandson that due to Daye's complete offensive collapse, those nasty men in Vegas are going to keep the $250 that Grandpa had planned on spending on Christmas presents.

BobZag
12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I was at the game last night, and Oklahoma deserved the win. They are a more experienced and physically stronger team than we are. They were plenty of empty seats, but the attendance was double that of the MAC. OU fans were pretty quiet until the last 8-10 minutes, and the team fed off the energy down the stretch.

Jeremy just ran out of gas, and it appeared as if the rest of the team was content to ride on his shoulders.

Our three freshman are obviously expected to contribute significantly, and the growing pains are evident. Gray has to take more than one shot, Daye will continue to have difficulties against more physical players, and Sacre is gaining experience against more athletic big man than he's been accustomed to.

These are the games that are good for GU, win or lose. When we get into WCC play, and the refs start calling ticky-tack fouls, we will have the depth to fight through it.

This is the first Zag team in recent memory that I expect to peak at the end of the year. The rotation will be weighted towards freshman and sophomores, supplemented with a heavy dose of Josh, Pendo, Micah, and Pargo. There will be games where we can go twelve deep, and just wear down the opponent.

If this team is able to shake the injury bug, it can be a Final Four team.

I'm adopting this post. The entire team can now practice as one. Things are about to get very, very good. OU did indeed earn this W. GU couldn't stop them in the 2nd-half and OU couldn't stop GU but GU fell two buckets short. 9-3 could be 12-3 by Jan. 6th. By March... :)

Reborn
12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
This is a good, positive thread and I am going to end my day here on the Board with this post. The posting here shows very good perspective, and at this juncture of the year I think it's really very important. I got to totally agree with LIZF and BZ. I am kind of getting to feel that these are the guys here on the board to hang out with....and learn from them.

Bob reminded us very early on that we needed to be patient with this team, and he was merely echoing what Mark Few had said (or Mark was echoing BZ...I can't remember). This is becoming so true. What we are seeing now, in terms of playing time and qualit of play will change dramatically between now and March. And I like it this way. Winning early and losing in March in the early rounds just makes me sick, and we've seen too much of that. Few is bringing these guys along very well I think. I need to keep reminding myself of who the coach is, and how important it is for me as a Zag to consistently back him up, even when I know he has made a mistake.

HOOTER
12-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I can't even begin to count how many times in recent years I've said to myself "when this team starts playing to it's potential, they will be unbeatable". Of course, very few teams ever play to their potential. Any team could be undefeated if only they executed to perfection. Despite the fact that I'm still extremely pissed about last nights loss, I am just as optimistic about the future as I was before. I have no doubt that this team is going to kick some serious tail down the stretch and make a deep tourney run.

BobZag
12-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I think we're about to see a different team than we have in these first games. Now we have a 15ppg, 7rpg guy in the middle who can answer guys like Longar Longar or Blake Griffen. Josh didn't last night due to pure rustiness but give him a few games. He missed a layin that would've been a jam if he trusted that foot. Gray is already shooting nicely. In time he'll be driving the lane, too.

In short, yes, you bet, losing sucks eggs... But this team has no choice but to trend upwards. The squad is complete now, finally, and that's what Few was openly excited about pre-injuries (Sept.)

Zag teams in the past had upside and we had hoped for a peak in Feb/March, but really we were hoping maybe one or two guys would really jump. Here we have a team where every single member is expected to trend upwards, save for probably the two seniors who have hit their ceiling.

Movers--

Micah = 1 yr PT
Daye
Gray
Sacre (may be next year)
Matt = 1.5 yrs PT
Josh = 1.5 yrs PT

All these guys will be different this spring.

SEAZAG84
12-21-2007, 08:37 PM
what i heard this summer at camp was that sacre was a project that they will work on because that is why they got will foster. now im not saying that sacre will be foster at all i am just saying he is still learning a lot of things right now so give him some time to learn.:D

ZagNative
12-21-2007, 10:09 PM
This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread:

http://wardsmythe.com/new_phone_book.gif

Listen (http://www.moviewavs.com/0058536645/WAVS/Movies/Jerk/phone1.wav)

I am not responsible for the tricks my subconscious plays on me ... It's a constant struggle between good and evil there, between Good ZagNative and Bad Zagnative.