PDA

View Full Version : Andy Katz chat today at 10:00am PST

BobZag
12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18569

Hurry!

ZagNative
12-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Jimmy (Syracuse, New York): I know it is early, but is there an obvious 4 teams that you would pick for the Final Four right now? Any sleeper picks? I'm filling my bracket out early.

SportsNation Andy Katz: Obvious?
UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas, Memphis
Next tier.........Indiana, Washington State, Duke, Pitt...Texas..
Sleepers....Gonzaga....Vandy....West Virginia.....Texas A&M..Butler

Yeah, I like that!

Rubbadub
12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Texas is first tier. I don't get the logic behind putting any team behind another that they beat on their own court.

MedZag
12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Texas is first tier. I don't get the logic behind putting any team behind another that they beat on their own court.

I believe Katz would argue that getting to the final four isn't about who's the "best" team because the top tier teams won't even see each other until the elite eight or final four. It's more about having the pieces to survive the requisite number of games against a variety of teams with a variety of styles each playing with nothing to lose. And I think it'd be fair to argue UCLA's team is more suited for that then Texas'.

But I agree, I'd put Texas as a top tier FF contender as well.

CDC84
12-20-2007, 11:03 AM
The problem with Texas is that they have ZERO depth. Their starting 5 is excellent, but after that, forget it.

I don't think you need to have a deep team to be a title contender, but you usully need to go 7.5 deep. By that I mean one reserve guard and one reserve big man that play double digit minutes, and maybe a tweener guy that picks up 7-8 minutes.

Texas doesn't have that right now, and I think it's going to bite them at some point prior to the final 4 unless they can develop some guys as the season moves along. Their starters are playing 83% of the minutes, and this is against a sked where they've played 9 cupcakes and blew out Tennessee. The only close game they've had was against UCLA.

Robzagnut
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
The problem with Texas is that they have ZERO depth. Their starting 5 is excellent, but after that, forget it.

I don't think you need to have a deep team to be a title contender, but you usully need to go 7.5 deep. By that I mean one reserve guard and one reserve big man that play double digit minutes, and maybe a tweener guy that picks up 7-8 minutes.

Texas doesn't have that right now, and I think it's going to bite them at some point prior to the final 4 unless they can develop some guys as the season moves along. Their starters are playing 83% of the minutes, and this is against a sked where they've played 9 cupcakes and blew out Tennessee. The only close game they've had was against UCLA.

Yup.

I watched one of their games and I was surprised at how much all five of their starters played. They are an injury or serious foul trouble away from being a normal team. Seems that Barnes would be playing the bench more during non-conference games, but it's not the case.