PDA

View Full Version : The Disappearance and Emergence! The tale of 2 stories

ZagManFan
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
The Disappearance: Kuso

Over the past 4 games Kuso's number have fallen off considerably. Averging 16.25 mpg, 2ppg and 3.75 boards in those past 4 games. I know he got in really early foul trouble last night and played only 8 minutes, but with Rob coming of age so quickly I really don't see him getting anymore minutes than in recent games.

With Josh set to come back soon, I predict that Kuso averages less then 12 mpg barring injury.

Not that I don't love Kuso's hustle and heart, but the offensive talent is just not there.

The Emergence: Sacre

In the last 4 games we have seen increased sightings of Big Rob. Compared to Kuso over those 4 games, Rob has outperformed him. 17.5 mpg, 6ppg and 3.25 rpg. I think both need to have about 1 rebound per 3 minutes of play though as we have not been rebounding well in recent games. We were outrebounded in the first half last night to a considerably smaller team.

I really like the way he has started playing with that little jump hook as well. Almost unstopable. Jabril Banks last night was rolling his eyes as he could not stop Sacre in the post with that hook.

With Josh's return I really think that Kuso will be the first off the bench, but I don't see that lasting for long. Sacre has made huge strides since I first saw him in action and the future is bright for this team.

gozagswoohoo
12-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I LOVE seeing Foster more and more every game. He CHANGES the flow of things. He completely disrupts the other teams inside presence. We can have such a nasty lineup, I love it. Big Sac, Foster, Daye, Downs...so much height and length, AWESOME.

drnoe
12-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I think both need to have about 1 rebound per 3 minutes of play though as we have not been rebounding well in recent games. We were outrebounded in the first half last night to a considerably smaller team.

Rebounding is definitely a concern, especially when the opponent is getting way too many offensive boards. The Zags managed to turn things around in the 2nd half. It's going to be interesting to watch the opponents' offensive rebounding stats when Josh is back up and running.

ZagManFan
12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I LOVE seeing Foster more and more every game. He CHANGES the flow of things.

I love Will as well, but it's like nails on a chalkboard when it comes to offense.Just :pray: it is over with.

roxdoc
12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
We are really lackluster down low. Josh coming back will help, but we still need a banger. Lets hope Rob and Will continue to inch their way forward. I do think Josh will have a synergistic effect down low so that it could be a case of 1 + 1 = 3 for who is ever playing the 5 or center position.

VinnyZag
12-18-2007, 03:49 PM
And not just because GU lacks depth down low.
He's limited offensively, yes, but when Heytvelt comes back Kuso hopefully won't be asked to do much on offense. If he stays out of foul trouble -- always a big if -- he can still make a big contribution on the 'boards and on defense.

Ikancagin
12-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Kuson is effective if he receives the ball down low on the right side and either jump hooks or shoots from the right side. When they feed him the ball on the lett side he makes approximately one out of 4 or 5 shots which is not a good post up percentage. So feed him right.

ZagNative
12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I love Kuso! And, you know I have to post a photo of him from yesterday's game, seen here slapping the ball away from Jabril Banks at mid-court:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Kuso/2007-12-17KusoNorthernColoradoslaps.jpg

And Robert, I loved the fierce way he wrestled the ball away from the Northern Colorado guys! "Oh, no you don't, sucker!"

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Sacre/2007-12-17SacreNorthernColoradowres.jpg

Also, how about the new "do"? Robert knows how to draw the camera, not a half-bad talent for a potential NBA-er to have to make sure he gets plenty of ink.

jim77
12-18-2007, 05:54 PM
You can never have enough fouls to give on the inside. Kuso's offense will not be near as important once Josh returns. Kuso is still a nice shot blocker and pretty good on defense. I liked that allyooop to Will last night...up where nobody else but big Will can get it. It also doesn't give Will a chance to bring it to the floor..which is a good thing.

Sacre was much more effective with the frowage....the rows just don't look right.

roxdoc
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I also vote for the frowage over the rows. Just as a note - my son (a long time Zags fan) who has ben traveling and had not seen the zags even on TV made the comment that the Zags looked rather unkempt, compared to Zags of old - Robs hair, LG's mohawk and both Daye and Gray with T-shirts under their unies. LOL - considering the source of these comments - but I relate it here just as his rather spontaneous observation. I guess it doesn't make any difference what they look like as long as they keep doing what they are doing.
GO ZAGS! from both me and my son.:D

jyboc
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
The worst part of that pic with Sacre was that he should not have had the ball that low. He is 7' and wrestling with someone almost a foot shorter than he is. I was sitting two rows off the floor, my friend and I couldn't believe how many times he brought the ball down to the defenders level or put it on the floor. In that case he clearly had the rebound and brought it down to get tied up. Hope coach is working hard on this, because I love the potential.

ZagNative
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
The worst part of that pic with Sacre was that he should not have had the ball that low. He is 7' and wrestling with someone almost a foot shorter than he is. I was sitting two rows off the floor, my friend and I couldn't believe how many times he brought the ball down to the defenders level or put it on the floor. In that case he clearly had the rebound and brought it down to get tied up. Hope coach is working hard on this, because I love the potential.
The caption for that photo was "Robert Sacre wrestles the ball away from Northern Colorado's Jefferson Mason." I chose that photo over the one below, which I assumed would bring out the chorus of bellows about him holding the ball low. No matter, the bellows come anyway. ;)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Sacre/2007-12-17SacreNorthernColoradogoin.jpg
Photo Caption: "Robert Sacre works the baseline for a shot
against Northern Colorado's Jabril Banks."

IrishZag
12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
The person who will benefit the most from Josh's return is Kuso. His best performances last year were as an energy guy off the bench. With Josh pulling a big man away from the basket with his pick and pop game. Kuso will be able to get quick passes inside for easy baskets.

If Josh can come back to form I expect to see a starting lineup of

Josh
Pendo
Downs
Bouldin
Pargo

Kuso will be a key contributor on the bench and will bring an energy inside that we have not really seen thus far. Over the last four games with Kuso struggling we have also really struggled on the glass. Even against a significantly smaller UNC team Gonzaga was unable to own the glass.

I chalk most of that up to inexperience between Daye, Sacre, and Foster. Jyboc is exactly right, Sacre gave up two jump balls because he is catching and brining down at chest level as opposed to extending for rebounds. With time and coaching this will improve, but for now I am anxiously awaiting for Kuso to fill the energy role as opposed to the primary post role.

MickMick
12-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I chalk most of that up to inexperience between Daye, Sacre, and Foster. Jyboc is exactly right, Sacre gave up two jump balls because he is catching and brining down at chest level as opposed to extending for rebounds. With time and coaching this will improve, but for now I am anxiously awaiting for Kuso to fill the energy role as opposed to the primary post role.

I prefer Will's shot blocking to Kuso's energy. Will changes the game on the defensive end. I am thinking that Will may be able to provide at least as much offense as Kuso as well.

wazZag
12-19-2007, 07:31 AM
I am thinking that Will may be able to provide at least as much offense as Kuso as well.

It's early, but I'm not so sure I agree. Will really needs to make an effort to catch the ball. When he does catch it, you never really know what is going to happen. In the last game, he had the -oop from pargo, then received the ball the next time down (or time after) and made an awful attempt at a hook that was not even in the ballpark.

Kuso is far from any offensive juggernaut, but he does get a few slop points that are helpful (rebounds, putbacks).