PDA

View Full Version : Gottleib Chat today at 1:00PM PST

BobZag
12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18537

Let 'er rip. :)

MDZag
12-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Chris, Spokane: Impressive debut for Steven Gray last night...with Heytvelt back in the next week or two how good can the Zags be?

Doug Gottlieb: (4:40 PM ET ) Really good. I am going to see them this thursday against OU in OKC..

Gray can really shoot the ball...like the old school zags...
austin Daye will improve, maybe not to the form he started the year in, but he will be fine and Heyvelt, when he plays well, is a supreme talent with his athletic ability and shot blocking.

Link:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18537

MDZag
12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Here's another:

Matt (Spokane, WA): How deep do you see Wazzu going into the tourney and are you going to call in PAC10 games out west this season?

Doug Gottlieb: (4:49 PM ET ) I was out in Cali last week. (read my blog on HS hoops in the OC)---and I sat with UW, UCLA, USC, Cal (my brother) and U of A coaches...and everyone kept saying...do not sleep on WAZZU...they are the best team in the Pac-10 right now with experience, toughness and their roles are already established....Remember UCLA just has their first practice with all 11 scholly players last week....

anyhow, I am not sure if they are final four good, but they are sweet sixteen and maybe elite eight good.

Taylor Rochestie played for my father in AAU ball...from Santa Barbara, and everyone mised on him. Landed at Tulane, transferred after Katrina to Wazzu, tore his ACL and is now in their starting line-up...just one of the great stories for the Cougs.

gozagswoohoo
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
He answered another question of mine! 2 for 2! Woohoo!

Can anyone guess which question is mine? (hint: towards the bottom)

BobZag
12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Time Zone (Middle Earth, USA): Kidding is spelled with two D's. Where did you learn to spell? What kind of college did....oh...nevermind.

Doug Gottlieb: In a hurry to do a radio show now...

BobZag
12-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Here's another:

Matt (Spokane, WA): How deep do you see Wazzu going into the tourney and are you going to call in PAC10 games out west this season?

Doug Gottlieb: (4:49 PM ET ) I was out in Cali last week. (read my blog on HS hoops in the OC)---and I sat with UW, UCLA, USC, Cal (my brother) and U of A coaches...and everyone kept saying...do not sleep on WAZZU...they are the best team in the Pac-10 right now with experience, toughness and their roles are already established....Remember UCLA just has their first practice with all 11 scholly players last week....

anyhow, I am not sure if they are final four good, but they are sweet sixteen and maybe elite eight good.

Taylor Rochestie played for my father in AAU ball...from Santa Barbara, and everyone mised on him. Landed at Tulane, transferred after Katrina to Wazzu, tore his ACL and is now in their starting line-up...just one of the great stories for the Cougs.

I'm not saying Wazzu won't or can't be Elite Eight or Final Four or even win the National Championship, but thus far they have only had to worry about Gonzaga. Their schedule has been so soft there is no way one can truly tell how they are. EWU, Idaho, BSU, AFA, MVS, Montana... Baylor is projected to finish 8th in the Big-12... I need to see how they do vs Pac-10 teams before I buy or sell. They might do great, but as of now I don't know.

Bulldog
12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Yes, it will be interesting to see where they finish in the Pac-10 after gliding through their preseason schedule. I wish the Zag's could have a do over after everyone is healthy.

cggonzaga
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
I can't wait to eat that David's pizza at the end of the year Bob. Everyone just keep underestimating the Cougs. The funny thing is that their schedule may not have been all that tough yet they've done exactly what they should've done with it...go undefeated. They went to Baylor and here and won, not easy road games. The win here should've been enough to convince people they're for real. I guess they'll just have to keep proving the naysayers wrong. This is at least an Elite 8 team.

BobZag
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Touchy touchy touchy.

I'm not a naysayer. I just need to see a bigger body of work in the Pac-10 before I go trumpeting Elite Eight. If Wazzu had played an ooc sked like USC's or UCLA's or Arizona's or Oregon's or, yes, even UW's, I'd have a sense of where and how they are.

Order me a Pepperoni Deluxe, please. ;)

Reborn
12-19-2007, 09:36 AM
I think most basketball analysts think along the lines of shooting for the Sweet Sixteen. Once that happens, as many of them say, anything can happen, and anyone can win. But...with all that said, it is damn fun to prophecize....and dream a little, and try to guess who will make it to the elite 8 and final 4. And thn, try to think about what it takes to go that far.

Do the Cougs have what it takes to advance past the Sweet 16. I do have my doubts, as others do. Their weakness is their bench, and seemingly try to keep the score low, which makes one believe that the coaches don't have confidence in their offensive firepower. I think to advance past the Sweet 16 you need offense in the high 70's to low 80's, and a tough defense that is capable of making STOPS when it is definately needed.