PDA

View Full Version : Lute Olson and UA job

kitzbuel
12-17-2007, 08:17 PM
ESPN Sports Center just said that Kevin O'Neill will replace Lute when he decides to permanently leave Arizona. Haven't seen anything in electrons yet to post a link, but will continue looking.

This has to be good news for Zag fans as far as any questions about Coach Few being attracted by this job.

UberZagFan
12-18-2007, 10:43 PM
This has to be good news for Zag fans as far as any questions about Coach Few being attracted by this job.

Uber was thinking the same but wonders if this just wasn't a smart move by the AZ AD to keep up with the recruits. Stability is key in recruiting. When Lute finally "officially" retires, it will be interesting to see if O'Neill keeps the support.

CDC84
12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Uber was thinking the same but wonders if this just wasn't a smart move by the AZ AD to keep up with the recruits. Stability is key in recruiting.

I think that's the reason why the announcement was made now as opposed to later, but I think that Arizona hired O'Neill to begin with to make sure Lute had a proper successor in place. O'Neill has a very, very impressive coaching resume, and he's been a part of the program before. He's very qualified to take over that program....in fact, I wonder if he's a more effective coach than Olson at this point.

zagco
12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Personally, Zagco thinks Lute ran out of gas several years ago, sorta like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno.