PDA

View Full Version : Do you eagerly check the ranked teams for losses?

ZagsGoZags
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I find myself checking ESPN scores every night or two, hoping for losses especially of the teams just ahead of us. I had no access to media over the week-end, and am thrilled to see Oregon [16], Xavier [17], and Louisville [20] all took losses.

Does this mean I am meanspirited, taking exuberant delight in the loss of other teams? Or just another over-the-hill zag fanatic.

Seriously, though, I am asking this question to see if anyone else engages in this perverse source of joy, and why it wasn't mentioned by anyone in the blog (that I have found so far).

Also, I make the assumption that is is one way for us to move up, in addition to winning our own games. I suppose this assumption is largely valid.

Ziggy
12-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Yup, I do the same thing round about Sunday nights. I expect we will move up one or two places in the AP even though we did not play any more games.
St. Mary's is one-and-done especially w/ U of O losing to an unranked team.
This is not perverse just calculating like in chess.

ZagNut08
12-17-2007, 01:23 AM
I do the same thing

Butler Guy
12-17-2007, 05:16 AM
who has a reasonable argument for being rated in the Top 25 does this.

USMC69
12-17-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm in too. Why else would anyone read the "bottom line" on ESPN.

lawzag
12-17-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm with you too ZGZ. I check the newspaper a 6:00 every monday morning to look for losses from the ranked teams ahead of us...:o

drnoe
12-17-2007, 07:52 AM
I certainly check the scores every day. It's way past time for Louisville to take a big tumble in the polls. They have been the most overrated team so far this season. Time for the Zags to creep up a spot or two.

sittingon50
12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Yep.

NVzag
12-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I check the scores all the time, but I don't root for ranked teams to lose just so the Zags can move up.

Although sometimes I root for them to lose for other reasons.... :D :D

Now by February that might be a different story; then I'll be looking for chances to improve seeding.

Zags just getting their wins is the important thing. :)

23dpg
12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I check the scores all the time, but I don't root for ranked teams to lose just so the Zags can move up.

Although sometimes I root for them to lose for other reasons.... :D :D

Now by February that might be a different story; then I'll be looking for chances to improve seeding.

Zags just getting their wins is the important thing. :)

That is how I look at it also. Its really about how GU is playing in March, not what ranking they have now. That is very 2002 for me.

Rubbadub
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
The reality of how much these rankings do matter and why has been stated multiple times already so I wont go into that. Suffice it to say I do follow the rankings and except for a few special circumstances I usually root against any team ranked close to us we'd have a chance of passing.

Akzag
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I do it ... thought the main reason is selfish. Ranked teams get more media coverage than those even just on the cusp.

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I find myself cheering for teams I like, like Butler and WSU (except at our expense of course), and I don't have many teams I cheer against.

The one team I hate is UW (except their center), and I used to root against St. Marie's for their center, but now I overlook them and welcome other WCC teams into the top 25 (probably for selfish zag reasons). I wish Sanham (sp?) would trade center position with UW's 5 and become UW's 5 man, then I could thoroughly hate them UW, and thoroughly root for St Maries except when they play us.

Anyway I noticed almost none of the top 12 teams lost recently (as I recall), but Xavier, Louisville, and Oregon (too bad) did, so this should help us, since they will have two losses also.

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
23dpg said "That is how I look at it also. Its really about how GU is playing in March, not what ranking they have now. That is very 2002 for me."

I think the ratings all season long do mean something
it's not the Big Salami, but it still huge
The year Adam, Ravio and Batista took us to 3rd in the nation, or something like that in the rankings, got national attention like never before.
I think those type of ratings, even if we didn't get to Elite 8, were huge for our program and fan base,
BUT ESPECIALLY OUR RECRUITING
Because of our ratings, not performance in NCAA tournament, we now attract the caliber of player that truly wants to be in perenially powerful program, and also those players who cannot live without the big city night life don't come to us (which is probably a mixed blessing), and also the recruits who understand they will have to play unselfishly to get PT are attracted to us when that is part of their value system.

So, I have a place within me that wants to say NCAA tournament is the only thing that really matters, but I just can't buy it.

I also think we are going to have to make it to Elite 8 or Fab 4 at least once in the next two years or we may get the reputation as a team with too much CHOKE, kind of like Fran Tarkington who lost three or four superbowls and never won one.

That loss to UCLA two years ago in the tournament was such a ghastly and horrible loss, I still think the refs just stopped calling fouls for the last 4 minutes, has not been held (completely, I hope) against us by coaches across America. I think most of them knew that game could have truly gone to Gonzaga as much as UCLA, and we didn't make it to Elite 8, but we sure came close. About as close as it gets.

Ziggy
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
...St. Marie's...
ZagsGoZags, good thread for a pre-game day warm-up. However...

...As far as I know, P-MAC has not attained the status of Sainthood because he is still dealing with this earthly-plane (at Marshall to be exact) and is not even eligible. Saint Marys (named after the J-man's mother) is a school in our conference. Seems trivial but the spellings of players names and the names of the schools in our conference should be with-in our grasp. Don't get me wrong, as I never complain about spelling in general (lord knows I could) or
the lack of the use of the ubiquitous spell check. But, I stick on this point.:)