• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteeleMan
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

The USF experience... Surreal (long)

I was fortunate enough to be in the SF Bay area today and able to get tickets for my wife and I for the game.

After hearing and reading conversations here about USF and their gym, I felt a little prepared for what we were going to experience. But unless you actually go to a game at USF, I don't think anything will prepare you.

We arrived to the game about 2 hours prior to tip-off. I didn't time the drive from Sonoma very well and we arrived a bit early. The early arrival was okay, though, as we were able to get a decent, free, parking space and we had time for my wife to grab a Starbucks. We walked through the campus a bit and that was okay.

At 11:30 we got in the will-call line and got our tickets and went in. Now, when people on here mentioned the USF gym as being small, they weren't kidding. I have no idea how many people were there, but 4,500 is definately a stretch. The building is pretty run down and reminisant of an aged high school gym. We were in the reserved upper section of the bleachers and our feet stuck to the floor due to consession spills over time. I was able to see their wall of fame, where a bust of Bill Russle hung. That was pretty nice to see and for a minute i was able to picture what it would have been like to see him and those strong USF teams play.

Our seats were decent, but we were just three rows up from the pathway that the crowd walked on to get to their seats. This posed a bit of a problem as it was often-times hard to see the game... kinda like when/if someone keeps walking back and forth in front of your TV set as a game is playing. The atmosphere felt nothing like any college hoops game I had ever been to.

But then the game started. And the boys on the court changed this perception a bit. The gym became louder and louder, Libbey began making his horrible calls, and THIS WAS COLLEGE BASKETBALL!

But the most surreal part of this experience was this:

USF outsourced their security to a company who's employees where yellow jackets with CSC Crowd Security on their back. In our section, one of these employees, who's looks like Borat from The Ali G show, was actually taunting Gonzaga fans. He was yelling things like GU Sucks, Adam Morrison ain't here no more. You guys suck. Spokane Sucks. San Francisco!

At halftime I contemplated letting another security person know about his actions, but did not.

So on to the second half, where Ali G starts at it again, this time more intense. And now he's standing on the pathway in front of many of us, watching the game, taunting the players with you guys suck, go back home, etc., etc. So I yell his way "Hey, get out of the way or go buy a ticket." And a fan next to us is asking him to get out of the way as well.

He turns and says (this is not a joke) "What?!? I'm security here, I can do what I want! I'm securoty" So now there are more than just a couple of GU fans getting back at this guy, who thinks his yellow jacket affords him to do whatever he damned well pleases.

Just then, a young woman whom I guessed to be on the USF staff cuts in and tells the guy he's got to go. And then he starts arguing with her! So the GU fans are a bit hot and this gal starts apologizing, saying that they outsource the security for this game, etc., etc. I'm sorry. Very Sorry, sir.

Anyway, he gets removed and the game goes into OT and the Zags roll 'em in the extra period. We leave the gym and on our way out I see Bouldin coming through to get to the visitor's locker room and give him a high-five on a great game... with all the surrealness aside, a pretty good ending to a good, hard faught WCC contest.
  • 229SintoZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Hate to ask

But, was there anyone nearby filming Mr. Ali G?

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Steeleman:

I think I saw your interchange with security. Section MM? I was a few rows back.

Comment

• SteeleMan
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

MM it was... I told ali to get buy a ticket or shut up and he turned around and verbally attacked a man to my left, who was with his son, probably about 10 years old.... so, yes, we were in that section.

One thing that I forgot... just prior to the confrontation, he yelled at a woman in a GU sweatshirt, who was carrying a very young child... yes, yelled at her something like I hate Gonzaga.

Another thing. Did you hear him saying things like "Too many white guys..." and racial stuff like that?

Comment

• Bing
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

It looks like USF solved last year's Gonzaga game debacle by hiring Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl for crowd control.
          gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Nice one Bing! How is the moose in Roslyn?
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Bing View Post
              It looks like USF solved last year's Gonzaga game debacle by hiring Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl for crowd control.
              CDC and I are lol at this comparison. Right, CDC?
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• TR11Zag
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

Kevin Pratt stepped in

I was sitting behind the Director of GAMP and he stepped in and complained at half time. The security guard was ejected. I was the one that got the worst of it the first time.

He was leaning over the railing blocking our view in the 1st half and we couldn't see the action. I started yelling "EVENT STAFF!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!" Needless to say, he took offense. Came over to me and started. Pointing at his shirt screaming "SEE THIS MOTHERF***$#!! I'M IN CHARGE HERE!! GO BACK TO SPOKANE!! ZAGS ARE TRASH!! LOSERS!!"

I will be writing the university with a formal complaint. I am glad he was ejected. I hope he loses his job.

Thanks Kevin for taking care of this.

-Ross Treleven
                Class of 2004

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Security Guard

If I'm thinking of the same guy you're referring to, he didn't look right: I saw him sauntering around the lobby before the game, bumping into people, and he struck me as a total whackjob. He was wearing a yellow, polyethylene, “Event Security” jacket, and a white, elastic headband. (It occurred to me that the headband might actually be a bandage covering his frontal lobe surgical scars.) Protruding directly from the top of his head were two, thin pigtails, each about a foot in length, with the circumference of a pencil. They looked like two, flaccid antennae, giving him an overall effect of a rotund, yellow cockroach who had been hosed-down with DDT. Given his antisocial, belligerent, and erratic behavior, I’d say he’d be a perfect fit for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Just another day in the City . . . .

Comment

• zagirl2k
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
                    Given his antisocial, belligerent, and erratic behavior, I’d say he’d be a perfect fit for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Just another day in the City . . . .

Isn't bad hair (or should I say "unique") also a requirement to be a Supervisor? He'd be perfect.

Comment

• ZagSlug
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

I saw the same guy in the lobby before the game, he was being reminded that students had to show ID to get in the door, and yes, they needed to be USF ID's.

Other than that whack job, there was security at USF this year and we did not need to kick people out of our seats. I even saw a few people ushering late arrivers into the gym and walking them over to their seats. Big improvement from last year.
                      sigpic
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• billyberu
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Thanks for the laugh, PD. That description was Hunteresque.
                        There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                        Surfmonkey89

Comment

• Bowser
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

PD:

"rotund, yellow cockroach"

Me like.

Your Pal,

Bowser

Comment

Working...