• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlatheadZag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

Osweilers Night

I attended the opening game of the year for the Flathead Braves and Brock Osweiler last evening. Pretty gaudy stats for Brock, 28 points, 22 rebounds, 6 assists. He took over the game in the second half. To be fair he should have as the team they played, Columbia Falls, didn't have anyone close to his size. The most impressive part of his game was his passing ability and feel for the game.

No more moptop for Brock who is now sporting a buzz cut.

The talk around the gym was that the big boys of college football are starting to come after Brock. I heard USC amongst others. To be honest, it may be hard to keep him out of a college football uniform in college.
  • Rubbadub
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Braves rally over C-Falls
    Posted: Friday, Dec 14, 2007 - 12:47:01 am MST
    By CARL HENNELL/The Daily Inter Lake

6-foot-8 Osweiler gets 28 points, 22 rebounds

COLUMBIA FALLS — So that’s what it’s like when Brock Osweiler takes over a game.

The 6-foot-8 junior had 28 points, 22 rebounds, six assists, three blocks and two steals Thursday night to rally the Class AA Flathead High School boys’ basketball team to a 70-62 season-opening victory over Class A Columbia Falls.

The Braves trailed by as many as 10 points in the first half before cutting their deficit to one at halftime. Then the teams exchanged three leads and knotted up the score twice in the third quarter before Jake Thiesen hit a 3-pointer with 3 minutes, 7 seconds left in the third to give the Braves the lead for good.

Columbia Falls coach Cary Finberg didn’t use his customary full-court press against the taller and older Braves, and his boys dominated using a 2-3 zone during the first half. With 3:45 left before the half, the Wildcats held a 10-point lead.

“I wasn’t too surprised that (C-Falls) didn’t use the press,” Flathead coach Fred Febach said. “Coach Finberg is a very smart coach and, in my opinion, I wouldn’t have pressed us given our height advantage and experienced guard play. Plus, they might not be as deep as they normally are. You’ve got to have depth on the bench to press like he usually does.

“But those (C-Falls) boys are well-coached and disciplined and did a great job in their game plan.

“It took us nearly three full quarters to settle down and get into our game.”

And settling into their game meant letting Osweiler dominate.

He tallied 10 points and 10 rebounds, including six on offense, in the third quarter alone. Of his 22 boards, nine of them came on offense as the Braves finished with a dominating 50-33 advantage in rebounds.

“That’s the kind of player he is, and our other kids understand that when we are leaning on him, they have to be smart with the ball,” Febach said.

Osweiler could have been one assist away from a triple-double had teammates converted baskets.

The Braves went on a 19-4 run after Thiesen’s big 3-pointer. The run ended with 5:06 left in the game and the Braves holding a 60-45 lead.

Still, Columbia Falls came back and made it a two-possession game twice, 65-60 with 1:11 left and 67-62 with 37.9 seconds left.

Chase Grilley scored nine of his 20 points in that Columbia Falls run.

The game had plenty of early-season jitters. The teams combined for 47 turnovers and 54 fouls. They made 19 of 25 free throws (76 percent) in the fourth quarter and still combined to finish with a 56 percent shooting clip from the charity stripe.

Thiesen hit two treys en route to 13 points in the victory. Post Josh Harris, a 6-5 senior, added eight points and three rebounds. Junior guard Danny Salois hit a 3-pointer early in the third and finished with seven points. Charlie Dotson, a 6-2 senior, had nine rebounds and four points.

For Columbia Falls, Grant Getts had 10 points and five rebounds before fouling out in the beginning of the fourth quarter. Mackey Nolan had nine points and three rebounds. Senior guard Cody Bowman added eight points. Senior point guard Chase Fairbank had five points and four rebounds.

The Wildcats dropped to 1-2 on the season and, in a schedule change, host Frenchtown on Saturday — instead of traveling to Frenchtown.

Flathead is back in action on Saturday when it hosts Libby.

Flathead 14 16 20 20 — 70

C-Falls 17 14 12 19 — 62

FLATHEAD (1-0) — Jake Thiesen 3-9 5-6 13, Sam Tedrow 0-1 0-0 0, Michael Gallagher 2-7 0-0 5, Danny Salois 3-5 0-0 7, Austin Roehl 1-2 1-5 3, Charlie Dotson 1-6 2-7 4, Connor Cavigli 1-3 0-0 2, Coltin Hoffenbacker 0-2 0-0 0, Josh Harris 4-7 0-1 8, Brock Osweiler 10-18 8-11 28. Totals 25-60 16-30 70.

COLUMBIA FALLS (1-2) — Chase Fairbank 2-5 1-2 5, Kyle Howell 0-0 0-0 0, Tanner Perry 0-0 0-0 0, Cody Bowman 0-2 6-9 6, Zane Ridings 2-4 0-0 4, Mackey Nolan 3-7 2-6 9, Austin Robbins 0-0 0-0 0, Chase Grilley 6-17 7-13 20, Mitchell Wassam 0-1 0-0 0, Grant Getts 3-6 3-6 10, Kaleb Johnson 0-1 0-0 0, Michael Williams 1-3 4-4 6. Totals 18-48 23-40 62.

3-point goals — FHS 3-18 (Thiesen 2-7, Salois 1-5), CF 3-16 (Nolan 1-2, Getts 1-2, Grilley 1-8). Rebounds — FHS 50 (Osweiler 22, Dotson 9, Roehl 5, team 5, Harris 3, Cavigli 2, four tied with 1), CF 33 (team 8, Grilley 6, Getts 5, Fairbank 4, Bowman 3, Nolan 3, Ridings 2, three with 1). Assists — FHS 13 (Osweiler 6, Thiesen 2, Gallagher 2, three with 1), CF 9 ( Grilley 4, Nolan 2, three with 1). Steals — FHS 9 (Osweiler 2, Thiesen 2, five with 1), CF 10 (Grilley 5, Fairbank 2, three with 1). Blocks — FHS 6 (Osweiler 3, Hoffenbacker 2, Cavigli), CF 0. Turnovers — FHS 25, CF 22. Total fouls — FHS 29, CF 25. Fouled out — Roehl, Getts.
    sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• brasszag
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

I don't think Brock wouldn't have verballed as early as he did (reminiscent of Pendo) if he didn't want to be a Zag first and foremost.
      There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

Comment

• Rubbadub
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

"The only things you can count on in this world are death, Brock Osweiler's Zags commitment and taxes."
        sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• FlatheadZag
          Bulldog Fan
          • Feb 2007

Have you ever seen him throw a football? He's one hell of a quarterback! 6' 8" quarterbacks with a rifle arm don't come around very often..

Comment

• Therunner
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by FlatheadZag View Post
            He's one hell of a quarterback! 6' 8" quarterbacks with a rifle arm don't come around very often..
            As a matter of fact, I think Brock would be the first. Currently, the tallest QB in the nation is the Delaware's QB who stands at 6'7", followed by several others tied at 6'5". The tallest QB ever to play in the NFL was Dan McGwire who was listed at 6'7" and played for the Dolphins. If Brock chose football, he would be one for the record books. Brock certainly has the talent to accomplish it.

That said, I fully expect Brock to be a Zag in '09. Brock said it himself he would quit football before basketball anyday, and actually considered hanging up the pads if he grew another inch during the offseason.

Brock will be in a Zag uniform someday, no doubt in my mind.

If anything, maybe Brock can be a dual-sport threat and the first Zag QB for our reinstated football team(I wish). That would be fun!

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

At some point he's going to have to figure out which opportunity is best for him to make a career out of. From the sounds of it, it's probably football. Don't get me wrong, I really want him to come here but what's best for him. From the sounds of it he's a very good basketball player. But unless he keeps growing he won't play in the NBA at 6'8" (good but not great athlete). With possibly the best colleges in football coming after him it seems he may have a better chance at playing in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't want to make a career out of either one and just play basketball at Gonzaga which would be great. From the sounds of it though he's quite the competitor and I'm sure he's looking for more.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Zags are very big-time bball. If there are equally big-time football programs after him, he'll clearly have to decide what he wants to do more. To me, it seems like bball is what he really enjoys/sees himself doing (especially with the early commit), but that could be because all the articles I've read on him/quotes from him have been in the context of the Zags/bball. If USC and the really big-time programs are actually seriously interested and it's not just hear-say or casual interest, he's clearly going to have to figure out his priorities and quick.

I don't think being 6'8" (that's if he's done growing - lots of kids have late growth spurts) would keep him from being in the NBA. It does mean he'll have to be that much better...

Comment

• cggonzaga
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

I don't think being 6'8" (that's if he's done growing - lots of kids have late growth spurts) would keep him from being in the NBA. It does mean he'll have to be that much better...
                  It kept Casey and JP out of the NBA and no offense to Brock but I'd be surprised if he was better than either of those guys. And GU is not on the same level as USC, LSU or Michigan football. I just think maybe his better bet to play professionally would be in football.

Comment

• zagfan07
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Oct 2007

I commend the kid for choosing the sport he LOVES to play and not just going with what might make him the most money down the road. Hope he stays with the Zags, he'd be a beast inside. Just the type of body we need.
                    GU Class of '07

Comment

• mulerose
                      Redshirt
                      • Oct 2007

Passing

He's on track to break the Montana passing record. Averaged over 300 yds/game this year

Comment

• Nevtelen
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                        It kept Casey and JP out of the NBA and no offense to Brock but I'd be surprised if he was better than either of those guys. And GU is not on the same level as USC, LSU or Michigan football. I just think maybe his better bet to play professionally would be in football.
                        Maybe not, but that also depends on him really getting a strong committment from those teams (not just 'we're interested, lets see what happens' kind of interest) and enjoying football as much/more than bball. He knows a top-tier bball team wants his services badly and has signed him. If USC (for example) is putting a LOI on the table and offering him a chance to start, then he probably needs to think about it. Otherwise...

Being 6'8" does make getting into the NBA harder, but not impossible. Athleticism can be as good as height in the right combination. JP wasn't athletic enough for the run-n-gun NBA style and Casey just got screwed, IMO.

Anyway, we'll just have to see. Until I hear that he is hesitating (rather than just hearing people from the area saying he has this or that offer), I'm not worried. In the end, hopefully he makes the decision on what he really enjoys the most. You could make all the money in the world, but if you would rather be doing something else, you're not going to be happy in the long run.

Comment

• thickman1
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Feb 2007

Brock needs to come to GU and play for 4 years. If the NBA isn't in the cards he can always go play tight end in the NFL like Antonio Gates in San Diego. Best of both worlds.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

In the long term which is easier on the body?--- I hope he chooses basketball (I may have some bias)--

Comment

• MedZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                              In the long term which is easier on the body?--- I hope he chooses basketball (I may have some bias)--
                              Basketball won't leave you with dementia, that's for sure.
                              Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
                              You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

Working...
                              X