PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a Zags fan when....

Therunner
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
1. You live in Minnesota and shell out the bucks for Satellite just so you can watch all the Zag games.

2. You constantly arrive to work on Tuesday morning in a "fog" due to staying up late watching them play Monday night games on ESPN.

3. You have a Zag themed Christmas tree in your den with decorations of all the current players names and numbers and even former great Zags.

This is good for the Zag soul, so try to keep it going with reasons that make it obvious you're a Zags fan.

Go Zags!!

Therunner
12-13-2007, 11:01 AM
4. All you want for Xmas is....Josh Heytvelt.

5. When your friends, family, and even significant other refuses to spend time with you after a Zag's loss.

drnoe
12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
When you find out your son's gymnastics competition has been rescheduled for Jan. 12 and you get pi##ed off, because you can't take your son to the Zags-LMU game. Guess we'll have to buy tix for the late Monday night game at Pepperdine. BTW, if my son's meet schedule remains the same, I will gladly give our tickets to any interested Zags fans...no charge.

bayzag09
12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
6. When you spend more than 2 hours a day on these here boards everyday

sdzag
12-13-2007, 11:22 AM
7.When the only way you communicate with your college roommate is texting during basketball games and never any other time! And only about basketball!

zagfan07
12-13-2007, 11:24 AM
7. You've made the jog from the preparty to the game wearing nothing but short shorts and a layer of body paint.

8. You've camped out for more than a week to watch 40 min of basketball.

9. When you know the ushers at the Kennel on a first name basis.

10. You get a mind-numbing headache from yelling your lungs out at the game (even though we won by 30).

11. Your bar tab outscores the Zags.

12. Your parents wonder if they sent you to Gonzaga to get an education or attend basketball games.

gozagswoohoo
12-13-2007, 11:32 AM
13. You've gone pee in your pants instead of going to the bathroom because you wanted to make sure and see the end of the first half.

TheBeast
12-13-2007, 11:39 AM
13. You've gone pee in your pants instead of going to the bathroom because you wanted to make sure and see the end of the first half.

14. When hearing something like this, it doesn't surprise you in the least.

lawzag
12-13-2007, 11:42 AM
14. When you refuse to answer the phone, the door, or the screaming kids until commercial break!

15. When you show up at your son's university (in another state) having worn your favorite GU sweatshirt....without even thinking about it.

16. When you start wrapping the Christmas presents & realize that over 50% of the presents are GU gear!

Reborn
12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
When you know inside that you're a Zag. You identify with the team, and feel like you're part of a special family. You also know that you live in ZagNation, and that your home is somewhere in Zagdom. You're proud to walk around town in your Zag Gear, and feel that pride when you walk into a bar surrounded by a 100 Cougar fans, but see the Zag Crowd in the center. You just know where you belong.......and are proud of it.

Salsageek
12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
:o So true. Just ask my wife.

5. When your friends, family, and even significant other refuses to spend time with you after a Zag's loss.

Rubbadub
12-13-2007, 12:50 PM
17. Travel 300 miles + (round trip) for a single game.

18. And two days later travel 900 miles + (round-trip) for a single game.

GSL-KID
12-13-2007, 01:05 PM
"cggonzaga
Kennel Club Join Date: Mar 2007

"The second one is the easier schedule. The first one also plays a Pac 10 schedule so why should they play much tougher competition during the OCC? Why aren't we in either OCC? We know Wazzu played us and beat us. What's the point Bob? "

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7865

GPGUgrad
12-13-2007, 01:06 PM
When you live and work in sunny warm Northern California and temporarily move back to the cold, freezing winter in Spokane, so, to make sure I wont miss a single Zags game!!!!

The bummer part about being in Calif, I get to listen, TOO MUCH, about the Dons, St. Mary's, Cal and Stanford. But, no Zags.... :(

zagzealot
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
19. When your kids are in a Christmas program at school on the same night as a Zags game vs. N. Colo and you ask the kids "what would you rather do, be in the program or go to the Zags game?" And they pick the Zags game. And we as parents actually have to think about it...but in the end the Catholic guilt wins and we must go to the Christmas program. But you can bet we will be re-creating the scene out of "Home Improvement" when Tim Taylor had the radio headset going.

Rubbadub
12-13-2007, 01:22 PM
19. When your kids are in a Christmas program at school on the same night as a Zags game vs. N. Colo and you ask the kids "what would you rather do, be in the program or go to the Zags game?" And they pick the Zags game. And we as parents actually have to think about it...but in the end the Catholic guilt wins...

booo.....

MacZag
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Woo Hoo, you are too funny-can I send you a urinal?

JLGutrocks
12-13-2007, 01:33 PM
20. When this (http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLDOGS-Thong-PANTIES-Sexy-Sports-PANTY-GONZAGA_W0QQitemZ230201251873QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63 854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) seems like a great idea for a stocking stuffer for your wife.

:D

zagzealot
12-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Whoohoo, are you at home when this happens or are you at K2? Man, I'd hate to know what you'd be willing to do at the end of the 2nd half?! :)

zaguarxj
12-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Somebody needs a DVR or Tivo (think of it as TV with a "pause" button, in this case). Kind of nice being able to do your own "instant replay" as well.

bulldogshawn
12-13-2007, 02:09 PM
You read these boards because you love your team despite everyone else hating you.

gozagswoohoo
12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I was at my house, and actually...i should digress a little. I didn't ACTUALLY pee my pants, I think there was a little dribblage as I burst into the bathroom. Plus...I think I may have permanently destroyed my bladder. Keep in mind, I was also playing a drinking game with my brother, we had to drink 1 drink of our beer for every point Ammo had...and he did pretty well that night...

gozagswoohoo
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Woo Hoo, you are too funny-can I send you a urinal?

But yes, you may still send me a urinal. Thanks :-)

TheBeast
12-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Keep in mind, I was also playing a drinking game with my brother, we had to drink 1 drink of our beer for every point Ammo had...and he did pretty well that night...

Man, that's almost as dumb as going drink for drink with The Dude in The Big Lebowski. :(
:vomit-smiley-007:

Oregon Zag
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
You know you're a fan, when you tack up a "Go Zags" sign at your neighbor's house right next to their UO sign without telling them.

You have a Zags sign in your living room window next to the highway.

You sign all e-mail, "Go Zags", even business letters.

Zagdawg
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
You open your closet to grab something to wear -- and you have no other clothing-- other than Zags gear.

gonzagulous
12-13-2007, 03:37 PM
You read these boards because you love your team despite everyone else hating you.

lol

RenoZag
12-13-2007, 04:04 PM
. . .when you have more Gonzaga logo gear in your wardrobe than not.

TheBeast
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
When you first saw this video, you thought the 100,000hrs referred to how long the average student spends in line for tickets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bO1bAhgzTY

Bocco
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
when you son flies in from Las Vegas arriving during a game and you leave him at the airport until the game is over...

Bocco
12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
when your newspaper box, your license plates, your coffee mug, wine glasses and most of your clothing....all say Gonzaga, Zags, Bulldogs, etc

TheZagPhish
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
When one of your co-workers, in trying to merely make small talk, asks a benign Zags question, "So, did the Zags win last night?"

And your reply, a breathless 25 minute rant, leaves her needing therapy.

And you don't even apologize to the rest of the gawking plebes; no, you just adjust your Zag shirt and sick back down.

To read the board.

Spike94
12-13-2007, 06:46 PM
When while driving your son to Kindergarten in Sacramento the Kings score gets read on the radio and your son says "We don't care about the Kings Dad." and I say why, and he replies, "Because we are Zags fan." And you almost drive off the road with laughter and pride.

Rubbadub
12-13-2007, 07:58 PM
When while driving your son to Kindergarten in Sacramento the Kings score gets read on the radio and your son says "We don't care about the Kings Dad." and I say why, and he replies, "Because we are Zags fan." And you almost drive off the road with laughter and pride.

That is the best evidence of good parenting I've heard tell of in a long time.

Dogtownkid
12-13-2007, 08:15 PM
When you're spending a couple of days in London, one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the world, and you can't tear yourself away from your laptop, at which you are researching Zags' stuff, long enough to venture out.

Yeah, yeah, I know about that bad hip that hurts when you walk, but still...

MedZag
12-13-2007, 08:30 PM
7. You've made the jog from the preparty to the game wearing nothing but short shorts and a layer of body paint.

It makes you feel ALIVE!!!!!

8. When you and several hundred other fans descend on the UP campus and take the place over with zags signs and gear everywhere, which culminates in the UP campus security being dispatched to the alumni pregame function because "things are getting out of hand."

eastsideballer
12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
you and a co-worker roll your boss in the office parking lot, stealing the corporate tickets and enough money to cover snacks and beer.

and then he one up's you the next day by conceding that he too would have done the same thing to see the WSU/Zag game, and promptly gives you a raise for your loyalty. Makes one sort of sad for the four stitches but what can i say he resisted.

Angelo Roncalli
12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
When one of your car's vanity license plates says "GONZAGA" and another family member's vanity plate says "ZAGS 10."

When your Christmas trees ornaments are silver basketballs, stuffed plush bulldogs, and blinking blue and white lights.

When you travel to Boston for the UConn game, go to the almuni function and see one of your classmates whom you haven't seen since graduation 30 years ago, and still feel the GU connection despite the many years and many miles.

When you're traveling for work or on vacations and stop in LIDS stores to make sure they have GU hats.

gamagin
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
into a family in which your father, his two brothers and one sister, all graduated from GU in the 1920's & 30's.

And their collective 14 children did the same, with only one or two exceptions. Many of them married GU grads before entering the real world, too.

Then their grandchildren, whose numbers I stopped counting long ago, attended and now, their great grand children are 3-5 years away from college age.

I met three cousins (2 teenage girls and a teenage boy) for the first time at a game last week.

They were standing beautifully with their GU-grad parents. The parents said the believed one or more of them are looking at GU for their undergrad studies, too. I was told there are others.

Since 1916, there has been at least one family member, usually more, attending, or planning to attend GU -- usually after graduation from Gonzaga Prep.

So there was no wake up, turning point "when" for me or my family that I recall.

My family moved to Spokane before I was born, I was told, in order that we all could get Catholic educations. My dad had grown up here but wanted to return.

We kids were born Zag fans, reared as close as you can throw a rock from Welch Hall, and lived the GU-St. Aloysius life along with many hundreds of other St' Al's neighborhood residents (mostly Catholic) that lived, laughed and loved and protected each other as best they could.

You all know about John Stockton, but there were many, many star athletes and stars as well at Gonzaga and many of us kids got the opportunity to either watch them play or meet them, visit with them or just attend this or that ceremony marking, for example, the "new" pecarovich field (now the soccer field north of the MAC -- mike pecarovich is credited as one of the creator's of the forward pass); the Crosby Library (I was there with my parents when it was dedicated. My dad was a classmate of Bing's and they spoke and introduced me).

There wasn't a ceremony we didn't attend. It was like a neighborhood parade most of the time, if you are a kid. JFK's visit to what is now Russell Theatre, but used to be the original gymnasium; Teddy K's dedication of what is now K-1 or Martin or whatever it is now -- it started out as the Kennedy Çenter; the "new" chem building which replaced old barracks' (campion hall) which served as student housing; conversion of Webster to the "new" law school on sharp before it was moved and is now housing. All the new housing, which at one time was land on which good, mostly Catholic families like mine used to live turned into the campus. Same with the Cog, the dorms along Hamilton and all around the campus, through the lumber yard and right up to the water and Trent. So far.

We watched it all, from a distance but also right from Boone Avenue, until a brother sold the house to GU to make room for what is now the Rosauer's Higher Education Center. The address of the Center bears the same address as our old house. There was even a 714 club at one time, consisting entirely of GU students who hung out there.

As I said, except for the original three brothers and one sister, the rest of us were born into the fold. And a vast majority of us are very happy we were and remain there.

tyra
12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
21. When BobZ is a bigger hero to you than . . . I don't know, Spiderman?

ccpinky
12-14-2007, 01:25 AM
you skip your history final (at another school) to travel to utah to see the zags in the ncaa tourney, only too retake the class the following semester.

Rubbadub
12-14-2007, 05:48 AM
you skip your history final (at another school) to travel to utah to see the zags in the ncaa tourney, only too retake the class the following semester.

you had already known you were going to fail the class, hadn't you?

kitzbuel
12-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Dude, not everybody hates you. You have a spectacular aura about you.

LongIslandZagFan
12-14-2007, 06:03 AM
A) When you live 3000 miles away from Spokane and your kids ask you to stay up late to watch the Zags.

B) Instead of saying, "There is no way you are staying up until 1:00 am on a school night!" you get a tear in your eye instead.

LongIslandZagFan
12-14-2007, 06:04 AM

You have two rep boxes... hardly what I'd call being hated.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-14-2007, 06:12 AM
You have two rep boxes... hardly what I'd call being hated.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

no one hates you within this forum

Rubbadub
12-14-2007, 06:25 AM
no one hates you within this forum

Not saying I do, but that is quite inaccurate.

Therunner
12-14-2007, 07:11 AM
When little jumping bunnies somehow get you all excited and pumped up. :D

Amazing responses by everyone. Some stories were flat out hilarious, others embarrassing, several expressed dedication, while many were passionate, yet all your posts came to the same conclusion, that we are all die-hard Zag fans and proud of it!

Thanks for all your responses....GO ZAGS!

CougZag
12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind, I was also playing a drinking game with my brother, we had to drink 1 drink of our beer for every point Ammo had...and he did pretty well that night...

1 oz. of beer per drink...Ammo scores 40

equals 40 oz of beer

That's like almost 3.5 beers!!!

My enlarged, Coug liver thinks your post is pretty funny. :)

Zagpower
12-14-2007, 10:59 AM
You give up the stability of a career as a CPA and Corporate Controller to open sports memorabilia stores that specialize in GU gear. I get to buy, sell, and talk Zags 365 days a year and I get to call it "work".

pbriz
12-14-2007, 11:23 AM
....or when you come back home from school and you and your family are so engrossed in the Zags that you find your room completely re-painted and re-decorated as a "Gonzaga basketball room."

A very nice surprise indeed. :D

WestSeattleZag
12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
when you've actually read all three pages of this thread...

zagzealot
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
You give up the stability of a career as a CPA and Corporate Controller to open sports memorabilia stores that specialize in GU gear. I get to buy, sell, and talk Zags 365 days a year and I get to call it "work".

When you're willing to give up the stability of a 17 year career in the accounting field to ask the guy/gal who opened up a sports memorabilia store that specializes in GU gear if you can 'work' for him/her so you can talk Zags 365 days a year on the job. ;)

Reborn
12-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I'd have to say we have some damn good fans....Some pretty funny posts.:lmao:

RTK
11-01-2008, 06:02 AM
When you're on patrol in Al Qaim and you call back to your TOC to find out the score to the game in the middle of the patrol.

kitzbuel
11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
When you're on patrol in Al Qaim and you call back to your TOC to find out the score to the game in the middle of the patrol.
I missed this! That is OK.

RenoZag
11-27-2008, 10:21 PM
At halftime, you change from a red Zags hoodie to a blue Zags hoodie hoping it will bring good luck. . .

DoggieDogpound
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
When you use the excuse that your old rotator cuff injury has come back so you can get out of playing in the company golf tourney, where there is free beer and food, just to be able to watch the Zags play lowly Indiana.

Angelo Roncalli
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
When you live in Seattle and arrange work in Spokane on the same day as a Zag game.

malmer7
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
been a long time since someone has posted on this thread i see... but i couldn't resist:
when you name your dog Pendie because she looks just like him (no offense david)

ID ZAGFAN
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
When you turn all four TV's in your house on--loft--bedroom--den--dining room--turned on at full volume during Zag games so that you don't miss anything when you leave the loft to pee--check the game thread-- get a glass of wine--during a time out.

:D

ZaGranny