PDA

View Full Version : Non Season Ticket Holder

pre1975
12-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I am a long time reader of this board, but I rarely post.

I am tired of the people complaining that they can't get into K2 (board, letters to the SR, etc.). Here is how I feel. By the way, I am not a season ticket holder, just a regular guy.

1. Each year, Gonzaga plays at least one game in the arena. I have never had a problem getting tickets to these games. I just mark the date tickets go on sale and make sure I am early to purchase. This year (I couldn't go because of work), I sent my mother and father-in law down to the arena. We got sixteen tickets. Last year, I purchased about the same number for the Memphis game. A couple of years ago, I was early and got about thirty tickets to see Eastern. I think that was the same year as the Georgia game, which I also got tickets to.

2. My family and I went to see the scrimmage this year. It was FREE to the public, and we got to sit in the front row. A couple of years ago, we did the same thing. K2 was not full either time (lots of seats for those fans who can't get into K2). Not only did I get to see most of the Zags play this year, I also got to see the slam dunk competition, and my five year old son got to sit with Spike.

3. The amount of games on TV is ridiculous. A Zags fan gets to see MOST of their games on TV. That does not happen with a lot of basketball programs.

4. I have taken my son to a couple of the charity games to support the old and future Zags. I remember watching Jeremy Pargo out at SFCC before he ever put on a Zags Jersey. Last summer, I got to see Adam, Dan, and some of the other Zags from the past play in a game.

5. I will admit that basketball, at least for me, is better in person, but I can hear every Zags game on 1510.

6. As has been mentioned on this board many times before, season tickets were open to anyone for quite some time. Back then, my wife and I were not ready to make the financial commitment, but at least we had the option.

7. I have read of many acts of generosity on the board over the last couple of years. It seems that if someone really wants to see a game, some good Zags fan always seems to come through.

zag zealot
12-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Very good info. Thanks for the post.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-13-2007, 07:11 AM
all good points pre, but you must still understand the frustration when some people want to see games and cannot.

more importantly however is the amount of pos rep you havent gotten since that post, unbelieveable.

Zag 77
12-13-2007, 07:21 AM
A lot of fans have gotten spoiled. Tickets are hard to come by, but that is a consequence of success. Most games are on TV.

I would bet that if one were to ask around they could get tickets from somebody to the Northern Colorado game, since it is not a biggie. You just have to put out your feelers.

spudzag
12-13-2007, 07:28 AM
If not in position to buy tickets when first offered, which I was not, you have to get a little creative. Through the Bulldog Club I'm usually able to get to a couple games a season. I've been know to score a ticket or two on Ebay, although the prices are, shall we say, above retail. Have pick up a ticket at silent auctions or raffles too. I've found it easier to go to get a ticket in Portland so have done that too. Creativity and the ability to pay over retail seems to be the key at this point.

drnoe
12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Good job, Pre. I concur. As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a sell out. If somebody wants to go to a game, they can find a way to do it...it may cost them, but they can do it. I am very pleased and fortunate that I will be able to watch every game :D this year on TV (except Northridge :mad:).

FlatheadZag
12-13-2007, 07:54 AM
I attend several home games each season. I drive from Montana, get to the arena about an hour before tipoff with my little sign and always get a ticket. I've never paid more than face value. So there is hope!

gozagswoohoo
12-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Just curious, if you rarely post, how come this is your first post?

Reborn
12-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I've been to one game at K2. It was 2 years ago against Idaho. Going to see the Zags in K2 was like going to Jeruselem or Bethlahem, or Mecca. It is the home of the Zags. I could have cared less who they were playing. I was given the chance to see Adam Morrison, David Pendograft, Derek Raivio, PMac, Sean Mallon, and JP live....it was one of the better thrills of my life. There is something very, very special about being able to go to K2. It has that special historical significance that few places in Washington have. So I understand why anyone would want to see the zags in K2. Please, please, if you're as interested as I hope you are, you got to try harder to go. It's worth it, believe me. There were 600 tickets available for next Monday's game. I hope you do what you need to do to go. Forget who the team they are playing...go for the experience you'll have because you'll never have that kind of experince anyplace but in K2.

I've seen the Zags also in Spokane arena 3 times and in Key Arena twice. I saw Adam Morrison make that 3 ptr at the Buzzer against Oklahoma St., and I was with my sons and nephew. We were at the top of Key, but did that matter? Heck no. We saw something we'll never forget, and my sons will tell their grandsons about it. I was in the Spokane arena for the Memphis game. That too was an experience I'll never forget because of the noise level and all those white towels. And besides all that...we almost beat them. It was a great game and a great experience. I took my son, daughter in law and my grandson. Seeing the game is special, but the people you bring along to see it with makes it even more special because we all know that seeing something beautiful becomes more beautiful when we see it with people who are special to us.

I'll be at the game Monday and I'm coming with two special people. They have never been to a game in K2, and wow will that ever be something to share with these guys. Who gives a hoot who were playing. We're not going to see N. Colorado. We're going to see the Zags, and we're going to experience that special thing in k2....the home of the Zags. If you really want to see a game in K2...do it.

pre1975
12-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Just curious, if you rarely post, how come this is your first post?

I had the same name on the other board before this one was up and running. I posted once or twice over there.

zag67
12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Pre, nice post. We are spoiled. I live in Seattle, and still have seen all of the games on TV or my computer. That to me is unbelievable when I look back at where we have come from. I would listen to the games on the radio and got to go to some of them. Thanks again.

ccpinky
12-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I remember the days in the old kennel when I would walk up and buy a ticket right before tip off. Now, if I am lucky, I will see one game at the arena and one at the Kennel. I love the fact though that I can turn on ESPN and see the Zags play multiple times every year.

Zag79
12-14-2007, 06:05 PM
all good points pre, but you must still understand the frustration when some people want to see games and cannot.

duke tix are haed to come by. so are red sox tix. i think the pats tix are really hard to nab right now. gonzaga mens hoops tix are a tough one too. see how we fit in? its great to be a hot commodity IMO. :D

Zagme-totheleft!
12-15-2007, 05:02 AM
its great to be a hot commodity IMO. :D

a hot commodity we are indeed. solid fan base, like the Sacramento Kings!

bayzag09
12-15-2007, 05:36 AM
a hot commodity we are indeed. solid fan base, like the Sacramento Kings!

haha now thats just silly. What you meant to say was the sellout arena in Oakland for zee Golden State Warriors. w00t

SWZag
12-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Keep in mind:

There is a big difference between seeing a game in Spokane Arena/Key Arena than watching one in K2.

There is also a big difference between seeing a scrimmage in K2 and seeing a game in K2.

SWZag

pre1975
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Keep in mind:

There is a big difference between seeing a game in Spokane Arena/Key Arena than watching one in K2.

There is also a big difference between seeing a scrimmage in K2 and seeing a game in K2.

SWZag

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. I have been fortunate enough to attend several games at K2 (and sit in the front row a couple of times), and there is nothing that compares to it (except seeing the Clemson Tigers touch Howard's Rock and run down the hill before a home game).

It does bother me, however, when the Zags do have things like the scrimmage and it doesn't fill up. Some of those who say that they can never get into K2 could see the Zags that way.

At least the Zags don't command Hannah Montana scalping prices...yet.