PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - WCC TV Deal & a couple other items

Fonebone
12-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Last week I went to a talk by Mike Roth, the athletic director. There were a couple of items I found interesting.

The first thing he talked about was the similarities and differences between big time college sports and businesses. There were of course many similarities between the two - how you run things, personell issues, all kinds of things. Then he said that the main difference between regular business and college sports was that college sports was all about emotion. The emotion of the coaches, the players, the staff and especially the fans. How emotion enters into everything for good and bad. It was very interesting.

Also, someone recounted how our trip to the elite 8 changed everything, but he asked Mike if there was any one thing that he could point to that set the Zags on the road to their current elite status. Without hesitating he said yes, and he knew when it was. I forget the date, perhaps Hondo can help with that, he was there also. But not too long before that elite eight he said that they decided that there was no reason that they couldn't push it to the next level, and he said specifically that they decided that they could recruit the Casey Calverys and Matt Santangelos, and so they did. And that was the start of it all.

With regard to the ESPN deal, I asked him if he could say what the split of the ESPN money was between the WCC and the Zags. He said that the Zags get zero, and the WCC gets basically Zero. He said that the KHQ / Fox deals were very lucrative for the team in contrast. Apperently, the WCC "owns" all the home games of every team. Not just league games, but any home game. The league decided that it would be good for the WCC to get some games other than the Zags on national television, so they made an unusual deal with ESPN whereby ESPN did not have to pay anything for the entire package, and in exchange they would put a certain number of non - Zag games on ESPN. So, good for the leage, bad for Zag finances.

ZagNut08
12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
That last point should silence a lot of critics about GU and ESPN

really a shame for gonzaga...but for every other school who had little to no chance of getting games on tv, good for them

Psychozag
12-12-2007, 09:32 PM
You can sleep with my beautiful daughter if you take the ugly one to the dance.

MedZag
12-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Ooh, it must've been about seven, eight years ago. Me and the little lady was out on this boat, you see, all alone at night, when all of a sudden this huge creature, this giant crustacean from the paleolithic era, comes out of the water. It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes, -and I yelled. I said, "What do you want from us, monster?!" And the monster bent down and said, "…Uh I need about tree-fitty." .....

What's tree-fitty?

Three dollars and fifty cents.

He wanted money?

That's right. I said "I ain't giving you no tree-fitty you g*****n Loch Ness monster! Get your own g****n money!"

ZagNut08
12-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Then one time, I believe it was July-

August.

August. There's a knock on the door. I open it, and there's this cute little girl scout-

And she was so adorable, with the little pig tails and all.

And she says to me, "How would you like to buy some cookies?" And I said "Well, what kind do you have?" She had thin mints, graham crunchy things-

Raisin oatmeal.

Raisin oatmeal, and I said "We'll take a graham crunch. How much will that be?" And she looks at me and she says, "…Uh I need about tree-fitty."

…Tree-fitty.

Well, it was about that time that I notice that girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era.

TimboZag
12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
THOMAS
...And then these aliens had me up on their ship, right? They was probing me and all that.

NELLIE
We had taco salad that night.

THOMAS
Don't matter what we had for dinner woman! Now this alien had a big head and big black eyes, and it was all bent over me. I said, "What do you want from me, alien?!" and do you know what he said?

NELLIE
Tree-fitty.

THOMAS
Uh. Let me tell the d.....n story now! He said, "tree-fitty." And so I realized I that it wasn't no alien, it was that G..........n Loch Ness monster again, trying to trick me into giving him tree-fitty by dressing up like an alien. Don't that just beat all?!

NELLIE
I had just given him tree-fitty the week before.

THOMAS
What?! You gave that monster another d.....n tree-fitty?!

NELLIE
He tricked me.

THOMAS
Well no wonder the d.....n monster keeps coming back to our house! You keep giving it tree-fitty!

MickMick
12-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I wonder if the (relatively few) Zag hater fans across the WCC really appreciate the chance to watch their team on TV....as a result ESPN's desire to get Gonzaga on the network. Certainly the exposure helps the Zags as well though. This helps explain why the Zags are commonly televised on the ESPN networks. It is free. The continued national exposrue is worth the trade if not for the recruiting alone.

SintoZag
12-13-2007, 06:18 AM
I have b&&ched a lot about TV this year on this board, but I don't think I have ever b**ched about GU's relationship with ESPN. I sure people have, but I agree GU is not the who we should be upset with. ESPN sucks and the WCC suck. I am all for upgrading the profile of the league, but it has not seamed to work. Outside of St. Mary's I think the league as a whole has actually gotten worse since about 2000.

Does anyone know what the split is on the non GU games that ESPN broadcasts? In my estimation ESPN Gets about 6 of our games and two other WCC non GU games.

cjm720
12-13-2007, 06:28 AM
I have b&&ched a lot about TV this year on this board, but I don't think I have ever b**ched about GU's relationship with ESPN. I sure people have, but I agree GU is not the who we should be upset with. ESPN sucks and the WCC suck. I am all for upgrading the profile of the league, but it has not seamed to work. Outside of St. Mary's I think the league as a whole has actually gotten worse since about 2000.

Does anyone know what the split is on the non GU games that ESPN broadcasts? In my estimation ESPN Gets about 6 of our games and two other WCC non GU games.

Why in the heck should you be upset with anyone? Effing ridiculous. We have almost every game on TV!!!!!!!!!!!! The ESPNU issue affects only a couple games and is likely a short term power play between ESPN and Comcast. The fact that the games are broadcasted are a privlege, not a right. PLus, do you really think we ever would have been able to recruit Bouldin or Daye without the national exposure, primarily via ESPN. ESPN for Gonzaga basketball is a good thing.

SintoZag
12-13-2007, 07:00 AM
You have a bit of apoint but you are over simplyfying it. It was a hell of a lot easier to watch all the games last than it has been this year.

While I appreciate having all the games on, I don't agree witht the league screwing use for for no money and no apparent benefit to the league (it is not any better now than it was in 2000). Geez if ESPN at least paid them 50 bucks they be getting something out of it. Those midnight eastern ESPN starts don't really do recruiting to much good, and its not like the WCC has been capturing the best West talent recenlty.

I also whine because you basically have to have a satillite and regular cable plus about 300 dollars a month to blow on tv programing if you want to see every game. You can go to a bar for some of the games, but since sports bars can't get FCSP on the satillite you have to order cable at home for like 120 dollars anyway.