PDA

View Full Version : What is Plan "B" for Oklahoma City?

Zag 77
12-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately it sure looks like the Midwest and Oklahoma got hit hard by an ice storm with another one on the way, albeit less severe (I hope). Does anybody know if Oklahoma City has power right now? Anybody want to hazard a guess as to whether:

a.) GU can get there to play Oklahoma on 12/20?
b.) They will have power to the arena in OKC?
c) If anybody will feel like showing up?

Does anybody know if the backup plan is to cancel the game or move it somewhere, or to postpone it (but where would it fit)?

BobZag
12-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know the details but I'd guess it'll be okay by the 20th.

soonerterp
12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Tulsa got it way worse than Oklahoma City ... although OKC (and Norman) got it pretty bad. OKC should be back to something resembling "normal" by next Thursday (although there is a snowstorm supposed to blow in Friday evening and dump an expected 4" or so by Saturday afternoon).

I was without power for about a day, got electricity back, still waiting for cable to come back (I've been told that might be a week).

TheZagPhish
12-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I was without power for about a day, got electricity back, still waiting for cable to come back (I've been told that might be a week).

Yikes! Here's wishing you and yours the best, sooner!

soonerterp
12-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Yikes! Here's wishing you and yours the best, sooner!

Thanks. I have pictures ... but I hate posting photos, so you might want to go here and look:

click me (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21038233@N08/sets/72157603449231891/)

Birddog
12-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Yesterday I was in downtown OKC, in fact just a block from the Ford Center. Ice storms like the one that just passed through wreak havoc by downing tree limbs and trees onto power lines. Areas that have underground utilities like downtown and post 70's neighborhoods are not affected so much, unless feeder lines into those areas are downed. Those feeder lines are usually the first back up and running. Downtown was running at about 75%, but that was not because of power, but rather because many people either could not or elected not to come into work. Upper levels of parking garages were closed due to ice. Many people are home cutting limbs and trees, looking for generators etc. Some neighborhoods may be down for a week (not really likely but the worst case scenario as portrayed by the local news/disaster reporters). Cable TV customers may really have it hard since that is not a "life necessity" and there are limited numbers of crews, and to the best of my knowledge, no imported "disaster" crews. Electric and tree trimming "disaster" crews rolled into the state a couple nights ago and they are busy getting things back up and running. This is not an unusual deal. our crews go to hurricanes etc. type disasters and their crews reciprocate.

As Soonerterp, said, Tulsa got it worse than we did, but that is not really the point. Rural areas will be a while longer getting up and running because the utility crews hit the areas that are most widely (population wise)affected first. My only tale of woe so far is that 2 nights ago, I had to make my way up an icy ladder with a broom and knock the ice off the LNB of my dish. It's tough treacherous work but somebody had to take the risk given the reward. I've got beer in the fridge, the satellite is working, the DSL is a "go", and tickets to the game. What's to worry about?

Birddog

SintoZag
12-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Does anyone remember a few years ago when GU played somewhere down south and the roof of the building was dripping water on the floor froma storm? I think they were in Memphis or something. That was crazy.