PDA

View Full Version : SMU, Best In WCC, Jon Wilner thinks so?

TCZag
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
"There’s no doubt in my mind that SMC, not Gonzaga, is the best team in the WCC. " Jon Wilner

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2007/12/12/is-st-marys-the-best-team-in-the-bay-area-and-other-thoughts-on-the-locals/

In my daily search for lunchtime reading material on Gonzaga Basketball, I have seen an increase of SMC believers is starting to rise from the shadows. So now I pose the question. If ten games were played between GU and SMU on a neutral site, how many do you think we would win?

ZagMan in Philly
12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
After yesterday's game, I think we are still the better team, even without Josh.

how about 8-2?

Akzag
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
SMC SMC SMC SMC SMC

SMU = Southern Methodist University

GU takes 7 of 10

Psychozag
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I still haven't decided how quality of a win Oregon was. I know SMC is good, just not how good. I say about 5 to 5 right now..7 to 3 with Josh back in the line up.

TCZag
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the correction AKzag!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

bayzag09
12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
smc better after getting killed by the salukis? i think not

ZaggyStardust
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Only the BB Court will tell, but I'm not sold! I am glad, though that there is stiff competition in the WCC. I'm hoping it will bring a whole new level of competitiveness into the play of our Zags who have had a tendency to take the Conference games a little too lightly the past couple of years IMHO... No matter what happens between the Zags and SMC head to head, the other games become so much more important now... Must not let down the guard for any of them! If the Zags split with SMC, the record against the other WCC teams becomes oh so very important!!!

rennis
12-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Losing to SIU normally isn't a big deal. But SIU is not the team of yore.

Tells me they should be easy to beat in Spokane. Will still be a tough game down there.

Robzagnut
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
That's why they play the games.

GU will win the conference title, because they know how to beat the other teams in the WCC. SMC will lose an extra one or two to a Pepperdine, Santa Clara, SF, etc.

It happened last year with Santa Clara. They were on top of the conference and beat GU once, but couldn't finish off the other teams and ended up losing those critical last two games.

GU doesn't do that. They take care of business and beat the WCC teams that they're supposed to beat.

TexasZagFan
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Methinks Mr. Wilner found the secret stash of Kool-Aid that Jim Jones left in the Bay Area.

ZagMan in Philly
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Methinks Mr. Wilner found the secret stash of Kool-Aid that Jim Jones left in the Bay Area.

Did you know that Jim Jones' grandson is playing for San Diego?

Butler Guy
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
impressed with teams that play well at home. Playing well at home is essentially irrelevant when discussing what it takes to win conferences and/or advance in the Tournament. In order to do either of those things, you have to be a quality road team. What has St Mary's done on the road other than get blown out by a down SIU team?

Ezag
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Gonzaga is the best until proven otherwise. SMU, San Diego, Pepperdine--yes we have heard it all the past 8 years and the Bulldogs have always prevailed!

GuamZag
12-12-2007, 01:37 PM
After 10 games? GU takes 11 out of 10 games ;)

TexasZagFan
12-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes sir! On this very board! :D

Reborn
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
ButlerGuy. I agree with what you say. It's a great reason Mark Few schedules so many, and so tough, games away from K2. It's not only good to play away, but to play good teams away from home, and for us preferrably in a neutral site. However, initially it is very tough to get those neutral sites on the road and you will have to go into opposition arenas. Gonzaga has been good long enough now where we can schedule away games in neutral sites...as was done when we play UCONN, and will play OKLAHOMA. I think if we work out a new deal with Memphis that the game should be played at a neutral site there just as when Memphis comes here it is.

PDXZag
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
As I am sitting here at the end of the college football season listening to the annual (and seemingly endless) rants about the BCS system, I am comforted by the fact that this thread's question will definitively be answered . . . (wait for it) . . . ON THE COURT! Thank God. The Zags and Gaels will play 2, maybe 3, games this year to decide who the better team is. I, for one, am thankful for this fact regardless of whether the Zags win or not.

Oh, BTW, my prediction: Zags lose a nail bitter in Moraga; Zags win by 12 at home; and then take the series in the WCC Championship Game in San Diego by 7.

RenoZag
12-12-2007, 02:34 PM
"

So now I pose the question. If ten games were played between GU and SMU on a neutral site, how many do you think we would win?

brasszag
12-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Right now I think SMC and GU are pretty even. I'd be surprised if a 10 game series was any further apart than 4-6 either way.

Once our "injured reserve" are back, then I think out of 10 games we'd take 8.

2 of our top 6 players (by Mark Few's own remarks) are out. That's a LOT of higher output minutes we're missing.

Butler Guy
12-12-2007, 03:06 PM

The actual Jim Jones went to Butler. (he didn't graduate though) :)

gonzagulous
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
SMC is going to be a handful this year, that's for sure. I don't know how many we'd win out of 10, but out of the three times we (should) play them this year, I'm guessing we'll win two.

I don't think comparing this year's SMC team to Santa Clara last year or San Diego a few years ago is a fair comparison... their team is clearly at a different level in terms of their non conference games.

It will be interesting to see how they perform with a bullseye on their chest in the WCC. It's a new experience for them, and they'll quickly learn what happens if they play lackadaisically when teams are gunning for them.