PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to reevaluate our Postion?

HillBillyZag
12-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I know this subject has come up many times in the past, but even though most seem to think a football program would be a mistake,I beg to disagree. I am not in favor of an attempt to add another major Div1 sports competition but I do believe that a good Div3, or even a Div2 program would be successful at Gonzaga University. Remember these Divisions have an actual playoff for the National Championship,unlike the BCS quandry,which just creates argument. In Div 3, Mt. Union College, of Alliance Ohio has built a Dynasty, being in the playoffs yearly and winning many Titles. In Div 2, many Schools Gonzaga's size and smaller have been competitive over the long haul. We have Joe Albi Stadium, newly resurfaced, and able to handle more games than the GSL play there. We have the nucleus of a training staff and work out equipment and several practice venues. The startup cost would pretty hefty, but with good public relations, advertising, and decent opponents,I think crowds of 3-5k or more would be easily achieveable with a realistic ticket price and the operation would be self supporting, at least. It would be a fun way to spend a Fall Saturday afternoon or Evening. Is it an idea whose time is near?

a13coach
12-11-2007, 10:43 AM
This comes up about once/year. GU will not add football. First it would have to be non-scholarship. Can't add men's schollies w/o adding womens. The cost to rent Albi for practice alone would be a burden. Remember the threads on the MBB forum about how GU did not have enough money to build an 8,000 seat arena? Where is football money going to come from? GU has just launched a major capital campaign to bolster the endowment in order to weather tougher times that are looming in ~5years as far as student population.

There are a host of other reason's but I think you get the point.

kitzbuel
12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
We could be like St Francis University:

Red Flash 2007 Schedule/Results (http://www.francis.edu/AthTemplate2.aspx?id=8898&ekmensel=c57dfa7b_110_120_8898_3)

They are apparently so bad that they quit updating their website at the beginning of November.