Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2007, 09:34 AM
UW athletic director Todd Turner is "resigning."

GDaleZag
12-11-2007, 09:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3150324

RenoZag
12-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Meanwhile, back in Montlake, Todd Turner was amusing himself by dressing his dog with assortments from his closet. The "Peaches and Herb" ringtone ( "Reunited " ) on his cellphone went off as he was scratching his pet Husky's ears.

"Stay, Romar, Stay. Good boy. Daddy has to take a phone call." The dog looked at him as if he wasn't there.

"This is AD Turner."

"Todd ? Is that you ? I barely recognize your voice."

"President Emmert. So good to hear from you. I was just working on the 2008-09 Men's basketball schedule when you called."

"You can stop working on it, Todd," said the university president.

"Really? Did the president of Diablo Valley College get back to you about the open date between the Fort Pierce and Linfield games?"

"Todd, you know that old sports cliche, the one that owners and general manager's use when they've decided to give somone the heave ho?"

"Oh, yes, sir. It's the one that goes, ' We've decided to go in another direction.' "

"Bingo, Todd."

Rubbadub
12-11-2007, 09:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnqqj5Q1BU

cougs4ever
12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Let the GU-UWe series resume!!!

229SintoZag
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM

I strongly disagree. UW is a drag on our RPI and they snubbed us.

I simply do not want to play them again as long as Romar is the coach. They do not deserve the prestige associated with having us on their schedule.

BFL

Larrylegend
12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Bring back the GU-UW series!! This would be good for Gonzaga and good for basketball in the Pacific Northwest. Plus playing UW would help cut down on the travel schedule.

SteelCityZag
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Bring back the GU-UW series!! This would be good for Gonzaga and good for basketball in the Pacific Northwest. Plus playing UW would help cut down on the travel schedule.

I used to think this...I really did. Now, I think that UW needs us a bit more than we need them. We have no problem scheduling the best Pac 10 team in the state (WSU) and Pullman is closer than Seattle.

How about this. We'll play two games in the MAC for every one game at the Key Arena?

229SintoZag
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM

I simply do not want to play them again as long as Romar is the coach. They do not deserve the prestige associated with having us on their schedule.

lawzag
12-11-2007, 11:12 AM
we don't need no damn Huskies.....

our RPI & our schedule is much stronger without them!

rennis
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Now all we need is a re-play of the 2002 Apple Cup so a student can actually take-out Hedges with a beer bottle and all will be right with Washington college athletics.

That near-miss of Barb has haunted me ever since.

UberZagFan
12-11-2007, 12:29 PM

BFL

We heard you the first time and the second time and the third and the fourth and . . . .

Not all of us west of the mountains are so fortunate to have season tickets to games and for purely selfish reasons, Uber wants the series to resume so that he has a chance to see two games in Seattle every other year.

229SintoZag
12-11-2007, 01:50 PM
We heard you the first time and the second time and the third and the fourth and . . . .

Not all of us west of the mountains are so fortunate to have season tickets to games and for purely selfish reasons, Uber wants the series to resume so that he has a chance to see two games in Seattle every other year.

If you are looking for an RPI dragging game with a Seattle school, two words:

Seattle. U.

Or play the Cougs in Key Arena.

My point is: Romar/Turner snubbed us. They wanted to get national "exposure" instead. (They certainly got exposed, on national TV, against Oklahoma State--so mission accomplished, I guess).

We do not need UW. We owned them and they walked away, took their ball and went home. Romar has the Huskies squarely on a trajectory of sustained mediocrity, with occasional lapses of decency and atrocity mixed in. They are a one seed, they don't make the NIT. They have a top 10 recruiting class, then they lose 4/5ths of that class within two years.

I say sign up Duke. Sign up Texas. Sign up Oklahoma State. Bring on Tennessee and Memphis. And keep playing the Cougs--the one pac 10 team in the northwest that is a challenge and that helps our RPI--in what should develop into a decent rivalry.

If we do resume the UW game, it is on our terms. Home and home is a minimum. No Spokane Arena, no Key Arena.

surfmonkey89
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I also live on the west side of the state, and I don't ever want to play the Huskies again, ever. We played them for a decade, lost once, and they cancelled the series because WE were beneath THEM?! They can suck on it.

I'd rather drive to Spokane and watch them at the Kennel. I have all kinds of connections and can get tickets to basically any game I want. (And yes, that is a dig on all of you ticket complainers. Get a grip. :D)

RenoZag
12-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2004065501_webturnersign11.html)

"We've got a lot of things going on right now, and again, Todd and I have been talking about it for some time,'' Emmert said. "He's been our AD for three-and-a-half years and he's done a lot of good and important things for the university. The program was in many ways in great disarray and Todd's done a great job of turning that all around. But we also have a lot of other things that need to get done in the athletic program, and for me this is a question of Todd, and for Todd as well, is this the right fit for Todd at this stage of his career. We concluded it would be better for the program and the university to make a change and if we were going to do it, there was no point in sitting around and doing it later.

BobZag
12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I also live on the west side of the state, and I don't ever want to play the Huskies again, ever. We played them for a decade, lost once, and they cancelled the series because WE were beneath THEM?! They can suck on it.

I'd rather drive to Spokane and watch them at the Kennel. I have all kinds of connections and can get tickets to basically any game I want. (And yes, that is a dig on all of you ticket complainers. Get a grip. :D)

I like Sinto's proposal. Two in K2, one in KeyArena. Except I'd say, "Two in K2, one in Spokane Arena.

Aww, to hell with it. I'm with lawzag. Don't want 'em, don't need 'em. It's like the lyrics in Tommy--

"We're not gonna take it.
Gonna break it, gonna shake it,
Let's forget it, better still."

75Zag
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Unless the Fuskies turn things around in the Pac 10, I think Romar will be lucky to find a job selling Nikes at Southcenter Mall next year. Once he is gone, I say let's get back to the home and home rivalry with the Huskies. Great exposure for the Zags, and a great opportunity for West Side GU fans to cheer on the team.

tyra
12-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Romar and Ty W were in a foot race. The one who finishes second, well, first there was Turner and then there was . . . the one who finishes second.

Gunzawguh
12-11-2007, 03:44 PM
It would be ridiculous not to renew the series with them, given the opportunity. Everyone should stop being so annoyed that they snubbed us and remember how fun it is to play them. And don't act like they are a drag on our RPI. UC Riverside is a drag on our RPI. If we have an opportunity to play a team from the strongest basketball conference in the country, we would be stupid not to go for it. Especially an in state team like Washington. It was a great series and I hope it will become one again. Besides, it would just be another yearly win on our schedule against a big name school. Who doesn't enjoy talking smack to their Husky buddies?

Quit whining. The main person responsible for ending the series is "resigning." Let's get this game back together.

ZagNut08
12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
It would be ridiculous not to renew the series with them, given the opportunity. Everyone should stop being so annoyed that they snubbed us and remember how fun it is to play them. And don't act like they are a drag on our RPI. Cal State Riverside is a drag on our RPI. If we have an opportunity to play a team from the strongest basketball conference in the country, we would be stupid not to go for it. Especially an in state team like Washington. It was a great series and I hope it will become one again. Besides, it would just be another yearly win on our schedule against a big name school. Who doesn't enjoy talking smack to their Husky buddies?

Quit whining. The main person responsible for ending the series is "resigning." Let's get this game back together.

Agree 100%

It was always my favorite game of the year, and nothing is better than college rivalries. It will make it that much better beating them knowing they dropped us...

Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
The main person responsible for ending the series is "resigning." Let's get this game back together.

No, he's still coaching.

But I agree with the sentiment that this series should resume.

Gunzawguh
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, Romar had plenty to do with it, but the AD or Director of Basketball Operations makes this kind of decision. Turner was just as opposed to it as LoRo.

GoZags
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Beat me to it, Pontiff.

The Chicken cancelled the series.

tenniszag
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
It would be ridiculous not to renew the series with them, given the opportunity. Everyone should stop being so annoyed that they snubbed us and remember how fun it is to play them. And don't act like they are a drag on our RPI. UC Riverside is a drag on our RPI. If we have an opportunity to play a team from the strongest basketball conference in the country, we would be stupid not to go for it. Especially an in state team like Washington. It was a great series and I hope it will become one again. Besides, it would just be another yearly win on our schedule against a big name school. Who doesn't enjoy talking smack to their Husky buddies?

Could not have said it better myself.

And I have to disagree with the idea of UW now "needing" us more than we need them. I agree we do not need them, but they certainly do not need us. This year their conference is the best in the country, and looks to be that way for a while with the recruits that Pac-10 has coming in. Their strength of schedule will be fine. It's the wins they have to worry about.

saintzag
12-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Seattle U. is becoming d1 give them the 1st shot for a series.UW therafter according to there own wishes.

mendiant
12-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Seattle U. is becoming d1 give them the 1st shot for a series.UW therafter according to there own wishes.

This is a great idea... more bold for ZN ;)

We can beat them...

after they beat the Huskies in their noncon schedule...

We don't need not stickin' Huskies, but...

I do feel sorry for the kids who choose to go there and get short changed by The Man.

Do you think some of those kids would make the same choices toady?

i don't...

BobZag
12-11-2007, 05:31 PM

We can't have fun with this? I'm going to have fun with this.

mendiant
12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
We can't have fun with this? I'm going to have fun with this.

What he said...

We are having serious fun here...

I'm sure we would still play UW, if they asked nicely...

Their fans want us now....

It's nice to be wanted...

But let's have fun first.

BTW, we DO NOT have a football team, and as long as UW concentrates so hard on the Pigskin...well, how can they possibly be a worthy courtmaster contender???

23dpg
12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I've stated my opinion on this matter a few times but I'll do it again. I do NOT want the series restarted. The walked away from it so eff them. All the UW fans said it was because Few turned Dollar in.....whatever! What? Is this a "no snitchin" zone? I'm not that hip.

As far as Romar goes, he is not in jeopardy of losing his job. UW basketball was DOA before he got there.

RenoZag
12-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Turner, somewhat defiant in his remarks to reporters in a conference call Tuesday, said he would never say that winning is not important, "but the message that our students hear, that our coaches hear, that our leadership hears from the general run-of-the-mill fan is that 'The only thing we really care about is how many games they win.'

"And I have to look at that after 32 years of doing this and say, 'Wow, is that really what we are all about? Have I been that naive all this period of time? I have been spending all my time on the student-athlete experience and trying to create better lives for people and the proper place in higher education when all I should have been worrying about is how many games we've won.' Why didn't I go to the NFL if that's all it's about?"

SEATTLE TIMES (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2004066683_turner12.html)