PDA

View Full Version : Rotation

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Looks like the Zags are settling for a 7 player rotation the rest of the way: DRav, Pargo, Bouldin, Pendo, Kuso, Downs and Mallon. My question for the Board: Do you agree this is it from here on out and, if so, do you like our chances?
Personally, though I trust the coaching staff must have good reasons for having decided PMac will no longer see meaningful minutes I don't think we'll go far in any tourney w Pargo and DRav having to play every minute of the game.

Birddog
02-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Ask yourself what PMAC brings to the table. I like the kid, but he just doesn't seem to fit in this particular puzzle.

Birddog

madness
My point exactly Flex...way too many minutes for DRav and Pargo...it's showing each and every game.

It may be taboo, but the comments that PMAC made to the media coincided with his loss of minutes and his loss of confidence. The coaching staff is not allowing him to gain his confidence on the court...who know what is going on behind closed doors.

This team needs PMAC to get the the NCAAs, plain and simple...unfortunately he's not doing anything to help himself when he gets on the floor: 2 turnovers and 2 3s allowed with weak closeouts...

229SintoZag
Looks like the Zags are settling for a 7 player rotation the rest of the way: DRav, Pargo, Bouldin, Pendo, Kuso, Downs and Mallon. My question for the Board: Do you agree this is it from here on out and, if so, do you like our chances?
Personally, though I trust the coaching staff must have good reasons for having decided PMac will no longer see meaningful minutes I don't think we'll go far in any tourney w Pargo and DRav having to play every minute of the game.

PMAC will get time off the bench as a role player in the right situations, against the right opponents.

I don't see why Mallon got as many minutes as he did today. He is clearly not 100% and this game was pretty meaningless since we have clinched a 2 seed and bye into the WCC semis. Since we have to win the tourney to get a bid, I just don't get why we don't rest Mallon this weekend.

We played much better with downs and Kuso in than when Mallon was in, to boot.

Anyone agree, disagree?

madness
02-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Mallon hurts this team more then helps it (right now)...

roxdoc
02-24-2007, 03:57 PM
No magic to start the game (Mallon in) and we immediately fell seriously behind. Same at start of second half. I believe that we had 3 field goals through the first 9 minutes of 2nd half. Not saying he should not play, just poor planning. Poor PMac - he can't get a break. First time in he dinks around and can't get the ball across the time line! PMac is better than that!

J-Lo
02-24-2007, 04:01 PM
To be fair, everyone left him in the back court and he ran of out options really quick. It was clear he was being pressed several seconds before the call, someone should have come back to help him out.

That specific example aside, I agree with some of the comments above. I love PMAC, but he's not helping his cause at all.

Lizzag
02-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Hate to show ignorance here, but guess I have to. Can someone enlighten me as to what he said to the media?

RenoZag
02-24-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm still not ready to drink the " they have to win the automatic bid to get in the tourney" kool aid. . .

Assume they win at USD and in the WCC semis, only to lose the WCC championship in a close 2-4 point loss:

That would make them 22-11, 6 -4 in their last 10, and with the 5th toughest OOC schedule in the country.

RPI doesn't mean as much as who you play.

CDC84
02-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I still prefer a Pargo/Raivio/Bouldin/Downs/Kuso-Mallon starting lineup. It seems like the Zags just do not get their offense going until Downs comes in the game, and I just don't think Mallon and Kuso work well as a duo. I would rather hit teams with my most effective offensive lineup, right from the opening tip. The Zags needs to start off with a bang.

drnoe
02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Just some observations...

1) Very ugly win today.

2) Stars of the game: Bouldin and Downs (both need maximum minutes)

3) Why all the standing around on offense? Nobody runs toward the guy with the ball, when that guy is in trouble. Overall, very bad ball movement and movement without the ball.

4) Too many stupid, unforced turnovers. Too many passes intercepted in the passing lane...again, a serious lack of movement without the ball.

5) Nobody seems to be able to finish inside, unless they are uncontested.

Anyway, a win is a win and they didn't fold at the end. On to the tourney!

2Zags3Pups
02-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Nobody seems to finish inside? I saw Bouldin finish inside more than a few times.

Vanzagger
02-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Thankyou.

It is taking years off my life watching DRav play 45 straight. Face it everybody, teams can game plan to lock down DRav. If they always know he's out there and he's not super charged, that makes it easier.

DRav can score in his sleep. Same with Mallon. If Mallon was our super sixth man and DRav was playing closer to 20, think how balanced we could be. Pargo could use a blow too.

Here's my rotation:

Starters....Mamery Diallo, Downs, Boudin, Pargo, DRav
Then........Mallon and pick two or three more upper classmen that are true ZAGS...Pendo,PMAC,Kuso

Welcome back role players. Scoring and athletes on both ends. Might not get too many guys on the AP All American list this way. I would go to war with this group anytime.

VinnyZag
02-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Starters....Mamery Diallo, Downs, Boudin, Pargo, DRav
Then........Mallon and pick two or three more upper classmen that are true ZAGS...Pendo,PMAC,Kuso

Ummm, about Diallo ...

Vanzagger
02-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Mamery could help. Boards and D. Let's find the man and the worlds biggest band-aid and get him back here.

Vanzagger
02-24-2007, 05:02 PM
were hot after Burgess. If we need some beef down low does he get pt vs a big SantaClara team?

Maybe going extra small against the Broncos is the way to go? Spead'm out and fly around!

GU69
02-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Mamery could help. Boards and D. Let's find the man and the worlds biggest band-aid and get him back here.

lol
Any idea where he is? Is it legal to add somebody to the roster at this point?

Rubbadub
02-24-2007, 05:27 PM
he's not on the team this year and wouldn't get any playing time if he was.
(he didnt get any playing time when Heytvelt got hurt last year either)

Vanzagger
02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
He might be playing in a lower level pro league over seas. I'm hearing the Sonics have him listed high on their charts.

Rubbadub
02-24-2007, 05:46 PM
yeah, that sounds exactly like the Sonics.

Bulldog
02-24-2007, 06:37 PM
OK Vanzagger and Vinny zag, I know you must have served your time with good behavior. Anyway just to bring you up to date a little, he has not been playing all year. Maybe I missed the joke, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Also I must go with the majority as I see it and say that Mallon and PMAC are not helping as much as they once did. I know Mallon is hurt and shouldn't have played at all tonight and I don't know what PMAC's situation could possibly be. Seems that non-substituion until absoultely necessary is melding the team more each day by playing together the guys that are on the floor 85% of the time.
Just win games as long as you can, we are all cheeering for you.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-24-2007, 07:23 PM
All Diallo sightings, Bouldin observations and tourney chances opining aside; do people think the Zags can enjoy success in a tournament w/out having a guard (PMac) in the rotation allowing DRav and Pargo to catch a breather?
I'm thinking of the 3-pter DRav missed in crunch time and wondering if a less worn out DRav knocks that down....game over. My 2 cents is, while I agree PMac hasn't helped his cause in the very limited windows of opportunity he has been given the past few games, Few et al have got to "coach this kid up" and help him regain his confidence so the TEAM can have an extra guard in the lineup. This will make them more effective as a whole.

drnoe
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Nobody seems to finish inside? I saw Bouldin finish inside more than a few times.

You know what I mean...take a look at the team shot chart in the paint...not too good.

lothar98zag
02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
3) Why all the standing around on offense? Nobody runs toward the guy with the ball, when that guy is in trouble. Overall, very bad ball movement and movement without the ball.

Evertime I've seen USF on offense this year, I ask myself the same questions.

5) Nobody seems to be able to finish inside, unless they are uncontested.
From the box score (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2006-2007/gonmb30.html): Points in the paint-GON 40,USF 24

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I still prefer a Pargo/Raivio/Bouldin/Downs/Kuso-Mallon starting lineup. It seems like the Zags just do not get their offense going until Downs comes in the game, and I just don't think Mallon and Kuso work well as a duo. I would rather hit teams with my most effective offensive lineup, right from the opening tip. The Zags needs to start off with a bang.

I totally agree, Micah or Pendo need to start, soooo many games this year they struggle in the first 4 min. Today was a perfect example. I also think coach Few Starts Mallon out of Loyalty and Trust. Few is very loyal to seniors. Sean has a huge heart and has been a great zag but... Every game Downs is gaining confidence and he has been making huge baskets when they really need them. Bring Pendo in as the first guy off the bench.

2Zags3Pups
02-25-2007, 08:59 AM
There are two ways to look at this situation.

1) As you are, get your best scoreres (is that even a word?) on the court to start and hopefully they all click from the get go and jump out.

or

2) keep a good scorer/energizer coming off the bench to give your team a lift if they need it.

I personally like Micah and Pendo coming off the bench. They bring a boost of energy after that initial game start energy wears off. And I'm not the biggest Mallon fan, but he is experienced and doesn't get rattled by the road crowd's initial energy.

Not disagreeing with your view, just two different tactics that coaches take.

drnoe
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Points in the paint-GON 40,USF 24

Think about how the Zags could have avoided OT if they had made more of their inside gimmes.

youreachiteach
02-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Few has had a hard time understanding that Raivio cannot play 40mins a game(or 45 yesterday). Its been 4 yrs now. He's doing the same with Pargo and now with Bouldin. Strange....

Pmac says to the media " we need to get bigger leads because if the game is close at the end, anyone can win.." If you really think about, it makes a lot of sense. Get bigger leads and blow people out. But Pmac the philospher, is despised by Few. Its been like that since he's been at GU. Hey stuff like this happens at alot of programs.( DRav tells the media he's not happy, not getting enough shots, while GU is top 5 in the country last yr?..Go figure)

Mallon is hurt and is playing, give the guy his due plz.

madness
02-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Yep, that's what PMAC said...thanks...still can't find the video/audio...but he was benched right after that...it makes no sense really to bench a guy for tepid comments like that

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Few has had a hard time understanding that Raivio cannot play 40mins a game(or 45 yesterday). Its been 4 yrs now. He's doing the same with Pargo and now with Bouldin. Strange....

Pmac says to the media " we need to get bigger leads because if the game is close at the end, anyone can win.." If you really think about, it makes a lot of sense. Get bigger leads and blow people out. But Pmac the philospher, is despised by Few. Its been like that since he's been at GU. Hey stuff like this happens at alot of programs.( DRav tells the media he's not happy, not getting enough shots, while GU is top 5 in the country last yr?..Go figure)

Mallon is hurt and is playing, give the guy his due plz.

Big fan of Mallon, I played in the GSL, root for him big time. He has shown big heart! Just watching him yesterday was difficult. It's hard for him to get to his man on defense. So many games he has come through for the Zags. One thing I liked most about Sean, even when he was over matched by more athletic guys, he never backed down and never quit. The guy who announced yesterdays game is a big fan of Mallon's as well.

So what happens with P- Mac next year? Do you know if he is on Scholarship?
I thought He played well last year. Think he even had a game winning shot.
Seems this year he is not the same guy.
With all this new talent coming in, a healthy L.G. I wonder if P-Mac even makes the team. Any thoughts?

Nevtelen
02-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I think it's been pretty well covered that PMAC has been benched for not being a contributor on offense. Especially now, we cannot afford to have anyone out there on the floor not willing and able to put the ball in the hoop (which is why, while I admire Mallon for doing what he's doing, I'm currently cringing while he's out on the floor). I highly, highly doubt it was for any comments he made. Even if you think Few did initially sit him for those comments, which were made a while ago, don't you think that Few is enough of an adult to recognize that now we need eveyone who will contribute on the court? PMAC did decently at the begining of the season. He's really, really dropped off since then. His defense is still decent, but he doesn't contribute on the offensive end, for whatever reason. Hopefully he can turn it around next year, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't pretend to understand what his issue is, but it's clearly something - he's as good of an athlete as we have on the team and that's saying a lot.

BTW: edit - I think he'll be around next year, but unless he shows major mental improvement, I don't see him getting more minutes than this year.

ZagRum
02-25-2007, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=You Reach I Teach;8306]Few has had a hard time understanding that Raivio cannot play 40mins a game(or 45 yesterday). Its been 4 yrs now. He's doing the same with Pargo and now with Bouldin. Strange....

Like it or not but our star guards have always logged tons of minutes.
Dickau and Stepp rarely left the court.

kylasdad
02-25-2007, 05:07 PM
you reach,

despised is a strong word. I don't know anybody that is not in the "know" could tell that Pmac is "despised" by Few. Short leash, frustrated, etc., but despised?

john montana
02-25-2007, 05:35 PM
i just don't see what pmac does to deserve more minutes. even his defense has been poor lately (he gave up 2 threes to kellog in about 40 seconds.) with heytfelt out and micah needing to log some minutes at the 4 we might be forced to play pmac, and that though worries me. he's been a liability.

as for mallon, i still love the guy, but the offense is much smoother when it is a combination of downs/pendo/kuso playing the 4 and 5. maybe when sean gets healthy that will change.

madness
02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Has everyone forgot that the PMAC defensive sequence against Memphis is what brought GU back into the game in the second half????????

He forced 3-4 turnovers in a minute and directly changed the momentum in GU's favor.

PMAC has never been in synch with his fellow players offensively. He looks to drive and dish at such a high speed, many times his compatriots are never ready for the pass. Now he only plays around 3 minutes in the either half (if he commits a TO he is immediately benched). This is a problem that should be corrected via COACHING. I don't thing the program should turn its back on a guy who visibly loves the team still. PMAC always goes up and down the bench high fiving everyone, even the trainer.

GU needs him and Few needs him...it's time to take the man out of prison tonight. Free PMAC!

gamagin
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Madness wrote : Has everyone forgot that the PMAC defensive sequence against Memphis is what brought GU back into the game in the second half????????

--

I haven't. don't know what is going on with PMac, but he is definitely out of his game and seems to be rushing himself and forcing errors. frantic at times. then, back to the bench. I agree with you, we need him. His contribution as a role layer has been pivotal. He makes the other guy work harder and he is quick as lightning. I'd like to seem him back in the rotation and believe even with his ongoing adjustment, he could quickly become effective again.

KNIGHT22RIMROKR
02-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Free P-Mac, that's pretty funny. I hope he breaks out tonight. The words from madness made feel a little guilty. It is easy to kick a guy when he's down, I too am guilty of that. I can think of 100 times I have cheered when P-Mac has made a big play. It just seems they are few and far between lately. So my point is, I will keep pulling for him and hope to see him contribute more. Thanks for making me see the kid for the good player he's been. We all go through some rough periods, hope his is over. Having said that, I still think he needs to settle down a bit and play under a little more control. Would love to see him get a fast break and rattle home a monster dunk. I know the kid has skills.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
The news that Pargo was sick vs USF and DRav is sick tonight for San Diego would seem to suggest PMac may get some more playing time...which is the only way he'll rediscover his confidence. Of course, it seems a sick Pargo was preferable to a healthy (I assume) PMac vs USF so it'll be interesting to see if he gets any P.T. tonight....I hope he does. The coaches need to help this kid rediscover his confidence for the sake of the team.

lothar98zag
02-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I think PMAC will get time in the 1st - how long he stays on the floor is up to him.

From my seat @ the USF game: When PMAC was in w/ DR - Pargo was waiting to check in. After PMAC's 4th or 5th mistake there was a deadball. Few got Pargo's attention before he was able to check in and then went in for PMAC. (I interpret that to mean Few pulled PMAC earlier than he wanted cuz he couldn't risk more screw-ups)

So...it appears to me that if PMAC hadn't made a string of mistakes, he would have stayed on the floor longer. Hopefully he does better when he gets his shot tonight.