PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Strategy by Few

bigparb
12-10-2007, 07:10 PM
The Strategy: Few isolated Daye three straight trips down the floor late in the WSU game when we NEEDED a bucket.
I didn't see anyone comment on this, and I'm remiss to re-live any part of the WSU game, however I thought it needed to be "officially" noticed.

First, I want to say that I do not think that Few made a mistake by going to the Frosh. I was at the game, sitting about 12 rows behind the GU bench and without the benefit of replay, it sure looked like Daye got fouled on at least two of his drives to the hoop. Unfortunately, I think his lack of strength played a major part in those plays being no-calls.

That being said, I personally would have rather seen Mr. Few isolate Micah. While he was only 4-10 from the floor, he had Rochestie (sp?) on him most of the game, and it seemed that he got his shot when he wanted to, he just flat wasn't agressive enough with his offense.....and don't get me started on Micah not being aggressive enough with his OOOO-fense(Rick M), that is another thread in and of itself....I'll just say that I'd love for Micah to get a little bit of the same attitude that Daye has..."No shot for me is a bad shot"....and luckily for the Zags we might have seen the beginning of this on Saturday.................

Bottom line is this....I was suprised that Few chose to attack WSU when we need buckets the most with the Daye v. Cowgill matchup instead of the Downs v. Rochestie matchup, especially when Daye hadn't hit anything all day.

For those of you who have no perspective, let me state that I love GU, I love Few as our coach, and I love what Daye is and will be.....:) Thought I'd head that one off before I get ripped for giving up on them....

Good Evening.

jim77
12-10-2007, 08:11 PM
It was a close game and Few was trying to create a mismatch or a foul to get Daye to the line. I agree with what few did. Problem was the refs were letting them play....ROUGH. I think you will see more of Micah (like Saturday) at least until Josh returns. I think Steven's 3 abilities are going to play into it too.

rawkmandale
12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Maybe running plays for the player who was 6 for 10 shooting (including 3 of 4 from behind the line) would have been logical.

Ziggy
12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Maybe running plays for the player who was 6 for 10 shooting (including 3 of 4 from behind the line) would have been logical.

PENDO

Zag79
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
nice that you brought this up as i commented on it while sitting in my seat at the game. i was confused by the play calling. daye was clearly off that game, and although he wasnt affraid to go to the hole he wasnt doing anything constructive with it. why not use micah or pendo? hell even have pargo drive once. we only needed a bucket and it really hurt doing the same play multiple times when even us armchair coaches could see it wasnt going to work.

VinnyZag
12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I admit, I was a little drunk by the end of that game. So I'd have to go back and watch the tape to be sure, but I don't remember those necessarily being iso plays. What I'm saying is, I'm not sure Few drew those up for Daye to get the shot ... it seemed to me that Daye got the ball in the flow of the offense and tried to make something happen. But it didn't seem to me that Few exactly drew up a play specifically for Daye to get the shot.

Like I said, I could be wrong. That ugly game required several brews to calm my nerves.

Zag79
12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
IMO it was a called play. they set it up each time and it unfolded just like the first. if it wasnt a set play few should have called a TO to set something else up anyway.

GoBulldogs
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
It seemed to me that the Cougs were disrupting our halfcourt offense so much that ISO was the only way to go when we really needed a bucket and if Daye got fouled (which he probably did) he was going to knock down the throws.

CDC84
12-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Three reasons why I feel Few went to those Daye ISO plays:

1) Austin was being defended one on one, and he was getting shots. Prior to the Wazzu game, Daye's troubles came as result of double teams and driving into the lane in traffic.

2) Austin is the best free throw shooter on the team. If he gets fouled, it's more than likely 2 points, and 3 if he cans the shot attempt.

3) Shooting free throws against Wazzu when you're behind is one of the best ways to make up ground. Free points with no game clock expiring. The only other way is to shoot quickly in the shot clock, which is a death sentence against the Cougs.

---Not saying Few was right or wrong, but I think that's some of the logic that went behind it.

The biggest mistake GU made in that game was falling behind by 9 at the half. That translates into a 20 point lead when you're facing the Cougs. GU had a chance to get that lead under 5 points by halftime, but they didn't follow thru.

BobZag
12-11-2007, 08:51 AM
The Strategy: Few isolated Daye three straight trips down the floor late in the WSU game when we NEEDED a bucket.
I didn't see anyone comment on this, and I'm remiss to re-live any part of the WSU game, however I thought it needed to be "officially" noticed.

First, I want to say that I do not think that Few made a mistake by going to the Frosh. I was at the game, sitting about 12 rows behind the GU bench and without the benefit of replay, it sure looked like Daye got fouled on at least two of his drives to the hoop. Unfortunately, I think his lack of strength played a major part in those plays being no-calls.

That being said, I personally would have rather seen Mr. Few isolate Micah. While he was only 4-10 from the floor, he had Rochestie (sp?) on him most of the game, and it seemed that he got his shot when he wanted to, he just flat wasn't agressive enough with his offense.....and don't get me started on Micah not being aggressive enough with his OOOO-fense(Rick M), that is another thread in and of itself....I'll just say that I'd love for Micah to get a little bit of the same attitude that Daye has..."No shot for me is a bad shot"....and luckily for the Zags we might have seen the beginning of this on Saturday.................

Bottom line is this....I was suprised that Few chose to attack WSU when we need buckets the most with the Daye v. Cowgill matchup instead of the Downs v. Rochestie matchup, especially when Daye hadn't hit anything all day.

For those of you who have no perspective, let me state that I love GU, I love Few as our coach, and I love what Daye is and will be.....:) Thought I'd head that one off before I get ripped for giving up on them....

Good Evening.

I, like Few, liked Daye on Cowgill. I really thought Austin was going to score on all of those drives. I believe Bennett trusted Cowgill on Daye whereas I think Rochestie would've gotten immediate help if Micah tried doing that. You raise a good question, though. If someone helps Rochestie, a Zag is open. I did like the strategy, though. Just couldn't get points.

Larrylegend
12-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Daye dribbling with his head down with little over 1 minute to play clangs another shot, then gets torched for a 3 by Rochestie. Coogs go up by 7. Game over.

Austin Daye: 1-11 from the field; 0-3 from 3-point range
Austin Daye: Zero assists

Reborn
12-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I thought this was totally discussed at length. But oh well. I felt the strategy totally backfired, and was Few's biggest mistake in a long, long time I think. We had just taken over momentum of the game, and had actually gotten in down to one point after 3 straight 3 pointers in a row. Two by Pendo and one by Downs. It was like we had finally found something that worked. Daye wasn't even in the game.

Then with a little over 5 min left in the game, Few completely changes strategy. Instead of continuing with what was beginning to work: Pargo driving the land one on one and kicking out to the open guys (Pendo and Downs), he changes everything and sets up one on one plays for Daye.

Daye went 0-5, and we lose by 4 pts. Nice if it had worked, but my question would be...Why go to a Freshman who has been 0-6 up to that point? Especially when Downs and Pendo were clearly the hot guys....I would think the strategy down the stretch would be to go to the hot guys.

GoZags22
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I thought this was totally discussed at length. But oh well. I felt the strategy totally backfired, and was Few's biggest mistake in a long, long time I think. We had just taken over momentum of the game, and had actually gotten in down to one point after 3 straight 3 pointers in a row. Two by Pendo and one by Downs. It was like we had finally found something that worked. Daye wasn't even in the game.

Then with a little over 5 min left in the game, Few completely changes strategy. Instead of continuing with what was beginning to work: Pargo driving the land one on one and kicking out to the open guys (Pendo and Downs), he changes everything and sets up one on one plays for Daye.

Daye went 0-5, and we lose by 4 pts. Nice if it had worked, but my question would be...Why go to a Freshman who has been 0-6 up to that point? Especially when Downs and Pendo were clearly the hot guys....I would think the strategy down the stretch would be to go to the hot guys.

I was stumped by this decision as well. Do not forget that not only was he having a bad game vs. WSU, but he was horrible in Boston and held without a field goal against UCONN. So we went to our Freshman that was 1 for his last 10