PDA

View Full Version : Does the GU Nation need a break?

FrosTbear
12-10-2007, 02:08 PM
What was obvious to the viewers who watched the Cal State Northridge game on TV that there was something missing, not the lack of intensity of the GU players it was how quiet the Best Fans in the Nation were during many parts of the game. Tom Hudson on the radio broadcast said it wasn’t the normal wild kennel it was like a cheese and wine crowd. Our players need to get more energy from the fans this is the advantage of a home game but when the excitement and wild crazy fans are quiet it must be time for a “time out”. So as the team gets through finals and the students rejuvenate we need to get ready for the rest of the season. The team will practice, our two missing in action players heal and come back strong, our coaches polish the defense and I hope the fans get it back together.

ZagNut08
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
There was definitely a letdown in the crowd. Two things led to this imo:

1) Finals are this week, it is a tough time for students to all make it out to the game.

2) Letdown from the WSU game. People camped out for days/weeks for tickets/seat. I know I spent a good 20 hours waiting in the freezing temperature for tickets and seats, and it took its toll. It is sometimes tough getting pumped up for a 25 pt blowout after all this.

lawzag
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
ZagNut - I don't think Frosty was necessarily pointing at the KC fan base, but rather the fan base in general (at least that's how I read the post).
and I agree. yes, the KC was smaller/quieter & probably for the very reasons you state, but clearly eveyone was pretty lethargic at the CSUN game.

Hopefully, we will all reenergize & rejuvinate in the coming two weeks (students & older folks too).

Good luck on exams by the way!

BobZag
12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Everything ZagNut said.

Ace those exams, 08.

HRZag
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I was there Saturday, for the first time in then new Kennel, so I can't compare crowd excitement/noise levels, but generally, I thought it was pretty subdued.

KC gets a pass, because I thought they tried, but were obviously a bit spent.

As for the general crowd, I think a lot of the regulars gave up tickets for this one and there may have been an unusually large number of gawkers, fans not so much.

FrosTbear
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
There was definitely a letdown in the crowd. Two things led to this imo:

1) Finals are this week, it is a tough time for students to all make it out to the game.

2) Letdown from the WSU game. People camped out for days/weeks for tickets/seat. I know I spent a good 20 hours waiting in the freezing temperature for tickets and seats, and it took its toll. It is sometimes tough getting pumped up for a 25 pt blowout after all this.

Great points, But the players also has finals and they were also very down from the WSU game. I am glad they didn't mail it in.

zagar
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I had to listen to the game on the CSU-Northridge radio station, but it is worth mentioning that the announcer said it is the loudest place he had ever announced, and he frequently had to apologize for yelling into the microphone, but that he couldn't hear himself in his headphones.
So, while subdued, perhaps not too bad.

NorthWestZag
12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
We were playing Cal State - Northridge...

that is all i need to say.

GDaleZag
12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
And while finals week may be winding down I'm not quite sure if there will be a pick up in KC attendance in the coming weeks. After all, the next home game is the 17th, at least a couple of days after everyone is scheduled to go home. I, for one, will be there, but I know of many students eager for the break. However, I hope that when 2008 rolls around we (the students) will be ready to rock the kennel for WCC play. Hopefully everyone staying in Spokane can make the Kennel (and the arena) rock over the break.

rennis
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
And while finals week may be winding down I'm not quite sure if there will be a pick up in KC attendance in the coming weeks. After all, the next home game is the 17th, at least a couple of days after everyone is scheduled to go home. I, for one, will be there, but I know of many students eager for the break. However, I hope that when 2008 rolls around we (the students) will be ready to rock the kennel for WCC play. Hopefully everyone staying in Spokane can make the Kennel (and the arena) rock over the break.

I wish the Zags would either play the BIS earlier (like they used to) or squeeze a Spokane game in around Xmas. I used to get to watch the BIS and then go home to the Kan for Xmas and catch a game there too (usually EWU) and I looked forward to it every year. Now I rarely see a live game.

but enough about me...I don't blame the crowd for being a little tame. I would have been too given the emotional ride of this last week.

rdulay8
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
one thing i noticed about winter break last year is that the people that sit where the kennel club normally jump around in SIT DOWN and are SILENT. hopefully this isnt the case against utah, or else we might be in trouble.

rdulay8
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I wish the Zags would squeeze a Spokane game in around Xmas.

we play georgia in the arena on the 5th of january...

Zag79
12-10-2007, 09:34 PM
the wazzu game really threw everyone off IMO. i think the next game after a home loss has that strangeness to it, especially if its so long in between losses on your own court. its almost as if the crowd is feeling it out all over again.

JAGzag
12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
That was my first game in the new Kennel and I guess my expectations were a little high. I was a little disappointed in the crowd overall. The student section was fine, and I recognize finals and the competition. But I sat with in the "old folk" section (ie, not students :) ) and there wasn't much cheering going on. There were times I could hear Few yell instructions to his players ... and that surprised me. But again, it was Cal State Northridge. I'm sure that place was rocking for WSU ... Still I had a blast!!

zagfan07
12-11-2007, 07:26 AM
the wazzu game really threw everyone off IMO. i think the next game after a home loss has that strangeness to it, especially if its so long in between losses on your own court. its almost as if the crowd is feeling it out all over again.

It's only been 7 games since the Santa Clara loss. Now that was a shocker. First one in 4 years.

Zag79
12-14-2007, 05:43 PM
at least for me the santa clara loss didnt sting nearly as much as the coogs beating us. ugh.